Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Editing the map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> Editing the map Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Editing the map - 3/20/2005 8:20:58 AM   
Rubblestone

Having just looked at some of the AAR maps I noticed how "plain" the russian front looked. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a few more city names (like leningrad, stalingrad, warsaw, kursk, ect) just to add a little to the map (and help identify where you are at) I am sure once you get to know the game you know each territory by name but it might be nice to be able to add a few more city names.
Post #: 1
RE: Editing the map - 3/20/2005 8:59:37 AM   
Paul Vebber

ITs a TGA file, but the regions have different "winter" rough" and plain variations.

I assume you can just load the graphics in Paint ship pro or whatever and add whatever sort of doodads you want.

When you hover the mouse over an area a box pops up identifying it along with its resource and population, and accumulated pools.

All the graphics in the game are TGAs so I'm sure modders will come out with variations like they have for UV and other games.

I am partial to the little explosions though...

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 3/20/2005 9:04:59 AM >

(in reply to Rubblestone)
Post #: 2
RE: Editing the map - 3/21/2005 2:15:34 PM   
color

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rubblestone

Having just looked at some of the AAR maps I noticed how "plain" the russian front looked. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a few more city names (like leningrad, stalingrad, warsaw, kursk, ect) just to add a little to the map (and help identify where you are at) I am sure once you get to know the game you know each territory by name but it might be nice to be able to add a few more city names.

Hi, I'm the map artist.
Adding some city names on the map is easy and can be done without too much effort by any person who wishes to do so.
Changing the layout of the map regions or adding new regions is another topic entirely and a involves major work, modifying many graphics files and data files.

Jorgen

< Message edited by color -- 3/21/2005 2:34:42 PM >

(in reply to Rubblestone)
Post #: 3
RE: Editing the map - 3/21/2005 6:02:59 PM   
mavraam

quote:

ORIGINAL: color

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rubblestone

Hi, I'm the map artist.
Adding some city names on the map is easy and can be done without too much effort by any person who wishes to do so.
Changing the layout of the map regions or adding new regions is another topic entirely and a involves major work, modifying many graphics files and data files.

Jorgen

Good job on the maps Jorgen, I think they are stunning (from what I can see in the screenies). Just out of curiosity, what did you use to create that textured look? I like to play around with computer graphics and have used Bryce 2 to generate landscapes. I understand of course if you are unable or unwilling to discuss how it was created!

(in reply to color)
Post #: 4
RE: Editing the map - 3/21/2005 8:23:40 PM   
color

quote:

ORIGINAL: mavraam

Good job on the maps Jorgen, I think they are stunning (from what I can see in the screenies). Just out of curiosity, what did you use to create that textured look? I like to play around with computer graphics and have used Bryce 2 to generate landscapes. I understand of course if you are unable or unwilling to discuss how it was created!

Thanks mavraam, glad you like it

The landscape is generated using the raw satellite data from the GLOBE 1 km gridded terrain elevation database. The data was compiled into a image that was used in a 3D program to generate a 3D landscape. Region borders where etched into this landscape. The landscape was then photographed from above resulting in a huge (5500 x 2600 or so) source image, several effects applied and the results of which you will see in bits & pieces in the region.tga files once you get the game. So the terrain is very accurate. But it was a lot of work.

Apart from the raw region background files there are several overlays (snow, cold, rails springs to mind right now), and all these art files coupled with the huge size of the map helps explain the memory requirement for this game.

Cheers,
Jorgen

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 5
RE: Editing the map - 3/21/2005 9:31:51 PM   
mavraam

quote:

ORIGINAL: color

The landscape is generated using the raw satellite data from the GLOBE 1 km gridded terrain elevation database. The data was compiled into a image that was used in a 3D program to generate a 3D landscape. Region borders where etched into this landscape. The landscape was then photographed from above resulting in a huge (5500 x 2600 or so) source image, several effects applied and the results of which you will see in bits & pieces in the region.tga files once you get the game. So the terrain is very accurate. But it was a lot of work.

Apart from the raw region background files there are several overlays (snow, cold, rails springs to mind right now), and all these art files coupled with the huge size of the map helps explain the memory requirement for this game.

Cheers,
Jorgen

Thanks for the details Jorgen!

That must have been one heck of a PC you guys used to render a 5500x2600 image. Pretty amazing that with an image that large, you can still play the game in a window. I guess that must be using Direct X. Windows base GDI would grind to a halt with something that large.

(in reply to color)
Post #: 6
RE: Editing the map - 3/21/2005 9:57:49 PM   
color

quote:

ORIGINAL: mavraam

Thanks for the details Jorgen!

That must have been one heck of a PC you guys used to render a 5500x2600 image. Pretty amazing that with an image that large, you can still play the game in a window. I guess that must be using Direct X. Windows base GDI would grind to a halt with something that large.

The PC used to render was pretty vanilla. The image was rendered in smaller pieces and then they were put together. That and a good deal of patience

Jorgen

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> Editing the map Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI