Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Demo?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> RE: Demo? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Demo? - 3/22/2005 10:22:31 PM   
CheopisIV

nope, Microprose it was, says so on the big ugly 81/2 x 11 box...it does say Hasbro too, perhaps liscensed to Microprose by Hasbro??..no matter, its true that the only way to play that game effectively was online, and even then I'd prefer the actual boardgame except for the setup :)

(in reply to Becket)
Post #: 31
RE: Demo? - 3/22/2005 11:59:58 PM   
Pippin

Does Meyer/Glass Interactive also show up on the box? It is my understanding M/G did the piss poor development while Hasbro hyped it with a little false advertisement. What Microprose did on it, is very interesting.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to CheopisIV)
Post #: 32
RE: Demo? - 3/23/2005 12:06:03 AM   
Scott_WAR

It was developed by microprose, and published by Hasbro. Heh, I bought the version with the original A&A and iron blitz. I gave blitz away, I figured the porice was correct for its worth, and kept the original, which I still have, but dont play anymore, since triplea allows you to play any edition of A&A including revised.

Mike, they said no demo is planned at this time. With your anal focus on grammer you should know full well that does not mean they are not going to make one at all. They could be plannng one at a later time.
Anyway mike, I think its time you let it go.

(in reply to CheopisIV)
Post #: 33
RE: Demo? - 3/23/2005 12:56:37 AM   
ratprince

Scott;

I agree. Thank you for understanding. Lets move on to bigger and more relevant topics than Matrix not releasing a demo.

If there is anything else I can do to help, just let me know.

Have a great day!

Mike

"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 34
RE: Demo? - 3/23/2005 1:08:20 AM   
CheopisIV

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pippin

Does Meyer/Glass Interactive also show up on the box? It is my understanding M/G did the piss poor development while Hasbro hyped it with a little false advertisement. What Microprose did on it, is very interesting.

Meyer/Glass is on the box, big logo similar to the Hasbro icon..also appearing are the logos for;

RAD Gametools, REM Infografica, Smacker (rest of text unreadable) and of course my "Special Mail-In Rebate Offer!" expiring June 30, 2000 :(

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 35
RE: Demo? - 3/24/2005 1:44:28 AM   
riley555a

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

You know I might agree with you to a point Scott, but, then on the other side of the fence, many times I have gotten a demo and that was all I ever required of the game. I have a Rise of Nations demo, Doom demo, Restaurant Tycoon demo and several more that, well they were all I really needed for those games. So in some cases a demo can damage sales as opposed to that "wonderment" of what the game is really all about, what the hype by all the other forumers or players is all about, with a demo you know, without it you have "wonderment" and thus for some people "interest" and thus go out and buy it even if it does suck to you later on. lol

Well they can make the demo very limited, just so people can get an idea of what kind of game it is, whether they like the way it's played, and how well it would run on their system. You can put a time limit on demos. What the creators of this game should do is make a demo and have it based on a small part of the map and put a 60 minute timer on it, once that timer runs out so does the demo. But Matrix could make it so that to obtain the demo you have to e-mail them for it, then they give you a one-use password with 60 minutes play time on it, or something of that sort(I think with this system sales wouldn't be damaged so much with a demo). This game is pretty big, it's kind of a rip not having a demo to see if you'd like to buy it. There is nothing worse than buying a game to find out you don't like it. But maybe Matrix doesn't want people to be able to sample the game before they buy, because some people might decide not to buy it heh. I've done that myself, planned to purchase a game, tried the demo, found it wasn't what I was hoping for then didn't buy the game.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 36
RE: Demo? - 3/24/2005 5:31:15 AM   
targul

A demo wont bother the sells in this game. As I have stated before no store in the Los Angeles--San Bernardino area intends to carry any copies other then Special Orders.

I called them all and not one has ordered one copy more then they have a special order for if any.

That is EB games, Best Buy and Comp USA.

Now if they had given a free demo maybe someone would have gotten that and bought the game but no it is simply not available to the general public. Not one employee of Matrix understands that.

This hold up on the DD is only a game that Matrix made up in there mind. Luckily most of the other war game producers are moving to DD from retail.

Too bad Matrix is wasting so much time and money.

This only harmed loyal customers. They provide good customers with no incentive to buy there product for what they believe are new customers who will never even see it on the shelves.

Anyway, I waited and finally bought HOI2. It is a good game and I may pick up a copy of this when someone sells a copy on Ebay at deep discounts.

Good Luck!

(in reply to Zocker)
Post #: 37
RE: Demo? - 3/24/2005 5:39:26 AM   
targul

Support Matrix? NOPE.

I have bought there DD's and now they are not offering them until the stores get the game. It is the sellers responsibility to support the customers who have been loyal.

I have put buying this game on hold simply because of Matrix attitude on this game. Instead I bought HOI2 which I had no intention in buying but Matrix really upset me with their attitude that good customers will buy it anyway and we dont care what they do.

BTW, HOI2 is better then I thought which makes me happy because my game for this quarter had been World at War but I will not support a company who believes I have no choices in what to do with my money.

(in reply to ratprince)
Post #: 38
RE: Demo? - 3/24/2005 10:36:49 AM   
Pippin

I have a theory that if DD was available before hand, there may have been some users arguing that this DD was a scam to get sales by cutting the middle man, and forcing us to wait if we want to go the EB route.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to targul)
Post #: 39
RE: Demo? - 3/24/2005 12:57:14 PM   
ratprince

Targ;

Good luck with HOI2. Too bad you couldnt be patient. WAW will be "the" game to end all games.

See ya around.

later;

Mike

"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."

(in reply to targul)
Post #: 40
RE: Demo? - 3/24/2005 3:22:46 PM   
jchastain

While I enjoy DD as an option, from a business perspective a company would have to be crazy to offer it BEFORE the retail channel gets the game. It would be the rough equivalent of a studio releasing a DVD before they allow the theaters to have the movie. If Matrix wants to have the option of using the retail channel in the future, then they cannot undercut that channel for this game.

(in reply to ratprince)
Post #: 41
RE: Demo? - 3/24/2005 9:32:13 PM   
ryanw

quote:

WAW will be "the" game to end all games.

Ruh roh, if all games will be ended when this is released, I better make my last days of gaming count

-Ryan

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 42
RE: Demo? - 3/24/2005 11:00:31 PM   
IDrinkBeer

quote:

While I enjoy DD as an option, from a business perspective a company would have to be crazy to offer it BEFORE the retail channel gets the game. It would be the rough equivalent of a studio releasing a DVD before they allow the theaters to have the movie. If Matrix wants to have the option of using the retail channel in the future, then they cannot undercut that channel for this game.

Very good point, too bad nobody complaining in this thread wants to hear or understand it...

IDB

"Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 43
RE: Demo? - 3/25/2005 4:20:13 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: IDrinkBeer

quote:

Very good point, too bad nobody complaining in this thread wants to hear or understand it...

Excatly, and most of them dont´have any experienc in the gaming industry either

Oh boy was it easy when I was only gamer ;)

(in reply to IDrinkBeer)
Post #: 44
RE: Demo? - 3/25/2005 4:21:10 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: ryanw

quote:

WAW will be "the" game to end all games.

Ruh roh, if all games will be ended when this is released, I better make my last days of gaming count

-Ryan

I hope not too

(in reply to ryanw)
Post #: 45
RE: Demo? - 3/25/2005 10:48:40 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

How, do you know this, and where do you get your hypothetical figures from, I really must find this site that lists what every gamer does in real life and has experience with, that must be a fasinating website to have such information. ;)

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 46
RE: Demo? - 3/25/2005 3:23:24 PM   
Paul Vebber

If MOST gamers are "industry professionals" then it certainly doesn't bode well for our hobby that game company workers are just selling games to each other.

You can state pretty confidently that there are X gamers, and Y workers in the industry and that X>>Y.

HOw is that some sort of stretch requiring a "magic website" to figure out? Based on what to you think X and Y are roughly the same?

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 47
RE: Demo? - 3/25/2005 3:29:33 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

quote:

How, do you know this, and where do you get your hypothetical figures from, I really must find this site that lists what every gamer does in real life and has experience with, that must be a fasinating website to have such information. ;)

For most of the time you can tell by the readings in this very forum

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 48
RE: Demo? - 3/30/2005 1:27:54 AM   
adlertag

One area where demos are valuable is to determine if a game will funtion on your computer. For example, I have Win98 and it's stated Win2K or WinXP is required to run the game but Matrix says, "[as] far as we know, Win98 systems will not run the game."

This doesn't sound too convincing that a lot of Win98 testing was done (if at all) and that it is presumed to not function on Win98. But it doesn't seem to exclude the possibility that it might work.

I'd love to buy this game, but I'm not eager to shell out $200 to upgrade my OS just to play a game. I would consider buying the game just to see if it works (I want it that badly) but most (dare I say all?) retail stores won't refund or even credit an opened, returned piece of software. So the possibility exists I could get stuck with a game I can't play and be out $39.95 + tax and I'd be a very upset customer - but Martix has their bases covered because the box says 2K or XP is required and thus it's my fault for having purchased it.

I'm not sure what Matrix's refund policy is on the digital download version if the game doesn't work...

Anyway, if a demo were available, I would know unequivocally if it functioned on my system or not.

Aside from that, I would be interested in knowing what Win2K and WinXP have that Win98 doesn't have that this game requires. Most software released, even games, especially strategic war games, works on Win98 through WinXP. I'm just a bit curious why the customer base was reduced by limiting this product to 2K and XP with all the talk of extending the customer base by delaying the digital download in favor of the retail version with the objective of expanding the customer base?

Post #: 49
RE: Demo? - 3/30/2005 1:35:36 AM   
Scott_WAR

While I would love to see a demo, let me explain something to you. Win98 is no longer supported.... at all, not even by microsoft much less any software developers.
That means you can keep using it, and hoping games will work on it, but you know its time to upgrade.
Try this-
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=37-116-194&depa=0

Its less than$100, and as long as you have Win98 already installed, or you have your win98 disk, it will work just fine.

(in reply to adlertag)
Post #: 50
RE: Demo? - 3/30/2005 2:56:45 AM   
bradclark1

I bought three Panzer Campaign games without playing a demo and that will be the last time I buy without trying again. They were an utter waste of money.

Brad

(in reply to Zocker)
Post #: 51
RE: Demo? - 3/30/2005 3:51:57 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

If MOST gamers are "industry professionals" then it certainly doesn't bode well for our hobby that game company workers are just selling games to each other.

You can state pretty confidently that there are X gamers, and Y workers in the industry and that X>>Y.

HOw is that some sort of stretch requiring a "magic website" to figure out? Based on what to you think X and Y are roughly the same?

Merely more hypothetical logic, but, logic is not always correct. ;)

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 52
RE: Demo? - 3/30/2005 3:54:23 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree, makes me wonder sometimes how many of you guys used notes (cheats) to get through your schooling. ;)

Post #: 53
RE: Demo? - 3/31/2005 1:28:43 AM   
adlertag

"Win98 is no longer supported.... at all, not even by microsoft"

This is a rather fallacious statement presented without supporting evidence. When one goes to the Windows Update page on Microsoft's web site, one is told, "The latest version of Windows Update is available on computers that are running Microsoft Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 2000 (except Windows 2000 Datacenter Server), Windows XP, and the Windows Server 2003 family."

Interesting. Updates are available for computers running Microsoft Windows 98. Does that not mean Microsoft is still supporting Win98 since they are providing updates for it? If not, what implications are made regarding the fact that updates are being provided by Microsoft for Win98 users? Is that not providing support?

In fact, Microsoft maintains a site specifically for Win98 users at http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/ that includes a section entitled "Support" . Does a support page provided by and maintained by and updated by Microsoft have no implications as to supporting that product?

" Try this-
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=37-116-194&depa=0"

Thank you for assisting me in shopping for a Windows upgrade online by providing a link to a site where I can purchase an upgrade. And as you mentioned, that edition (the Home Edition) is available for less than $100. However, some of us require the networking features provided only in the professional edition which, at the same online store, is $155.95 (Try this - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=37-116-203&depa=0)

Add to the $155.95 for the OS upgrade to the $39.95 price of the game and the result is $195.90 which is pretty darn close enough to $200 to be able to say it would cost $200 to be able to play the game.

That price is a bit too high to spend just to play a game. Win98 currently provides everything I need to do with my computer. I do not consider a game a necessity worthy of the $200 expense required to be able to play it.

I thank you for your time and concern in trying to "explain something" to me, but I was unable to find evidence in the presentation of your position that contradicts my position.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 54
RE: Demo? - 3/31/2005 1:55:14 AM   
Scott_WAR

"just to play a game"

You would be more correct to say that you need to upgrade to play the majority of new and future games.

A few months ago MS released a statement that Windows 98 will no longer be supported by them.

Honestly, its time to spend the money and update. The longer you postpone it, the less time you will have before its time to upgrade once again. No point in waiting 10 years to update, just to need to update again a year later.

(in reply to adlertag)
Post #: 55
RE: Demo? - 3/31/2005 2:26:01 AM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

June 30, 2003
Curtains for Windows NT 4.0 Support
By Thor Olavsrud

http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/2229411

The Windows NT 4.0 Workstation operating system has reached the end of its line. Monday marks the last day on the seven-year-old operating system's support life-cycle, meaning Microsoft (Quote, Chart) will pull the plug on telephone support as of Tuesday.

Customers will still be able to turn to self-help online, but a help-desk will no longer be accessible and the company will not patch the operating system if new bugs or security issues surface.

Microsoft customers running Windows NT 4.0 Server still have a window of support, however. In January, Microsoft decided to extend telephone support and continue issuing patches through Dec. 31, 2003, because more than 25 percent of its customers had yet to upgrade from that operating system.

The planned obsolescence is part of Microsoft's product life-cycle policy, which it says is "designed to establish a clear and predictable policy for product support timelines and license availability, to assist customers and partners with managing their support needs, product planning and information technology planning within their organizations based on knowledge of the support timelines for Microsoft products."

Under the product life-cycle policy, products move through three distinct support phases. The first is "mainstream support," which exists for five years after general availability. Windows NT 4.0 Workstation was made generally available on July 29, 1996. Under the mainstream support phase, customers can access Microsoft's standard support offerings, including no-charge incident support, paid incident support, support charged on an hourly basis, support for warranty claims, hotfix support, and online self-help support information.

Between five and seven years after general availability, customers can access "extended support," which includes support that may be charged on an hourly basis, and can include hotfix support. Microsoft's policy says it will not accept requests for warranty support, design changes, or new features during the extended phase.

Finally, in the eighth year after general availability, Microsoft continues to make its online self-help support information, including Windows Update, available. During that period, Windows Update will not support auto-updating and will not be updated with new fixes.

Microsoft's Windows 98 operating system is also approaching a support milestone. The operating system, which Microsoft made generally available on June 30, 1998, will no longer receive no-charge assisted support as of Tuesday. Like Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, it will be laid to rest on January 15, 2004.

My bold

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 56
RE: Demo? - 3/31/2005 8:17:38 PM   
geronimo

I want to buy this game, but I would like to install it first and make sure it will run on my computer. If there is no plan for a demo release, how can we ensure that we can receive a refund if the game will not run on our machines?

Thanks!

(in reply to CheopisIV)
Post #: 57
RE: Demo? - 4/1/2005 8:08:50 AM   
Paul Vebber

IF you post your specs, we can give you a good indication of whther it will run on your machine or not. THere have been many cases where a demo would run where the entire game would not. A demo is not always a eliable way to check to make sure a game will run.

There are alwyas 2% of computers any given game has trouble with for one reason or another. WE always work hard to get teh game to work (if it is bug fixes) Other times an old windows oinstall can be subtlely corrupt and sunddenly go awry when a game that stresses it in a certain way is played. It appears to teh user "the game broke the computer" such instances are VERY rare (but can happen) much more common is an already tipsy install being pushed over the edge.

SO what is your system?

(in reply to geronimo)
Post #: 58
RE: Demo? - 4/1/2005 3:42:54 PM   
geronimo

Dell Latitude D400 Laptop
Up to Intel Pentium M Processor 745 (1.70 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache)
Integrated Intel 855GM graphics -64 MB shared graphics memory
40 GB HD
1GB 266MHz DDR SDRAM

The system is fairly high-end, with the exception of the graphics capabilities (which are my primary concern).

Does this help?

Thanks again!

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 59
RE: Demo? - 4/3/2005 8:29:55 PM   
Steezus

Mike Mcmann, your little internet wise guy facade is very entertaining. Unfortunately for you, your Matrix fanboy arguments hold about as much weight as your laughable use of big words as you attempt to stroke your internet ego.

-First of all, this thread was created for the discussion of a demo. You asking to change the subject is rediculous. Leave this thread if it bothers you. Leave this for the poeple who would like to be heard asking for a demo. If enough people want one, maybe Matrix would take the small amount of time it would take to make one.

-MOST poeple would like to try something before they buy something. Do you buy vehicles without testing them first? Homes without walking through them? The game may be cheap compared to a car, but these kind of purchases add up over the years.

I recently bought a game from Matrix that was rated very high by Gamespot and people were raving about it in the forums. There was no demo so I took a leap of faith. I spent about 2 days trying to enjoy it but to no avail. I have not touched the game since. Because of this I no longer trust Matrix to blindly purchase games without first trying a demo.

I would just like to let Matrix know that I for one will not be buying the 3 copies of this game that I would buy if I could somehow be convinced that this game is enjoyable. I have 2 family members who use their computers soley for playing Axis and Allies, but they complain about the lack of A.I. and the overall simplicity of the game. All 3 of us are prime candidates for this game but I am not about to throw Matrix any more of my money unless I can try it first, hence they will lose out on 3 copies from me alone.

It also seems to me like not offering a demo would tempt people to download pirated versions of the game so they could try it out.

(in reply to CheopisIV)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> RE: Demo? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI