Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What ever happened to civility?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> What ever happened to civility? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 2:40:27 AM   
gunnergoz

I've been reading all these posts by disappointed, embittered people all shook up over 12-day slip of release date for GGWAW. I have to say that the lack of perspective is appalling. People are acting like Matrix is withholding the cure for cancer.

I have to ask these folks one thing: Put yourself into the future, say a year from now. See yourself doing things that are for now 12 months away. Now that you're in your Back to the Future shoes, ask yourself if the 12 day delay in GGWAW matters that much right now, in that future a year off.

Look at it another way...thing back to the last game you really wanted to have but found delayed for one reason or another. Now that you've got it and played it, does it matter all that much that you got it a day or a week or a month late?

I'll wager that most people will admit that, from that perspective, the delays of the past are pretty meaningless. So why should the delays of the present irk one so much?

Get on with life. If your life revolves around the release date of GGWAW (even as much as I'd like to see it myself) I'd have to say that you seriously need to re-evaluate your priorities and perceptions. Sheeesh.

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
Post #: 1
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 2:52:24 AM   
HercMighty

In todays world instant gratification is in. As more and more games are made available via download this is only made worse. Current in works games will no longer be advertised a year before expected publish but 3 weeks after Beta testing has started.

Galactic Civilizations has countered this somewhat. They do an open beta. Customers who pre-order or subscribe to their gaming network are part of the development cycle. This not only gets the game out there, they have the added benefit of being able to advertise and mold the game to the customers wants and producing a more "this is what gamers wanted" game.

But like you said people need to take a deep breadth and think about what they are complaining about. I think most would agree that they will admit they are being foolish to some degree. I just love the ones who are complaining they want the game released and then when it is they are complaining it doesn't work or isn't very good. Some people are not happy unless they are complaining.

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 2
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 3:02:08 AM   
Pippin

No big deal. As soon as it's avail things will just blow over. Problem is people are just too anxious right now. The Axis & Allies communities have been waiting years for a decent clone to hit the market that wasn't a scam or a joke. The fact that Larry Harris does not have his name on this title makes people a lot more trusting.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 3
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 3:42:41 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

Get on with life. If your life revolves around the release date of GGWAW (even as much as I'd like to see it myself) I'd have to say that you seriously need to re-evaluate your priorities and perceptions. Sheeesh.

I agree 100% ;)

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 4
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 4:25:25 AM   
Scott_WAR

The problem is the fact that most KNOW the digital download is being witheld. Its ready to go, but they arent letting us do it. So everyone must wait for the retail version, even though they know they could download it right now if Matrix wasnt holding out on them.

Then add in the pushback, after pushback of the retail release date, and you can see why some people are getting frustrated. On the one hand they should already have the game via DD, on the other hand, they have to wait for retail, and it keeps getting pushed back. You cant keep disappointing people and not expect them to show it at some point.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 5
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 4:41:06 AM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

The problem is the fact that most KNOW the digital download is being witheld. Its ready to go, but they arent letting us do it. So everyone must wait for the retail version, even though they know they could download it right now if Matrix wasnt holding out on them.

Then add in the pushback, after pushback of the retail release date, and you can see why some people are getting frustrated. On the one hand they should already have the game via DD, on the other hand, they have to wait for retail, and it keeps getting pushed back. You cant keep disappointing people and not expect them to show it at some point.

Yeah, but it's just a game! Relax. It'll come when it's ready.
I'm waiting for Combat Leader but you dont' see me in that forum: "Is ready now? How 'bout now? No? How'bout now? Come on! How 'bout now?"

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 6
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 5:05:49 AM   
Scott_WAR

I know, but people will still vent. At least venting here is just words being typed. They might get typed a little hard, but at least the cat isnt getting kicked.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 7
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 5:46:42 AM   
jjarred

hey, i'm just plaine greedy. At least i am honest ok!!!

They say there are two kinds of folks, the 'have's' and the 'have nots', well, i am a gonna get!!!

Case closed

Well, i ain't a bad guy, just anxious, and sometimes overbearing....

Take care all

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 8
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 6:09:39 AM   
donkuchi19

I don't care when the game comes out. I will buy it.

But if there is a cat around, I am going to kick it!!!!!

I prefer dogs!!!!

(for you cat lovers out there, I wouldn't really kick it so don't jump all over me)

(I won't swerve to miss it though either )

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 9
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 6:48:38 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

I know, but people will still vent. At least venting here is just words being typed. They might get typed a little hard, but at least the cat isnt getting kicked.

LOL ROFLMAO I bet the cat is happy. ;)

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 10
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 9:17:31 AM   
Arkady

quote:

hear, hear

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 11
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 4:28:21 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunnergoz

People are acting like Matrix is withholding the cure for cancer.

Anyone with cancer may not have 12 days left to wait for the game to be released. So either give us the game or give us a cure for cancer.

A year from now those complaining about this release will be complaining about the release of a different game. No matter what folks will complain because they can't have it NOW.

As far as those for whom life revolves around the release of a game - well some of us worked our whole lives so we could retire and play war games (or any kind of game really) so it is something which is somewhat important (at least until tne newness of the game wears off).

It would be nice if gamers were not teased by the game companies. But that is life. All game companies seem to do it thinking it creates a bigger need/want for their games. Maybe it does. As for me there is a certain length of time for which advertising increases my desire for a game (like back when the AARs were first posted) but after about 3 months from a game announcement any additional b*llsh*t just doesn't stir any interest in me.

Will I buy it? Sure - as soon as I see it on the shelves of my local EB. Will I enjoy it? From what the Matrix/beta testers have said I am sure I will enjoy it. Do I feel like I have been led on/teased? Yes. But that is just me. I'm sure others feel differently.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 12
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 5:48:19 PM   
P_DEX

World at War went gold?? SWEET!

Ignorance really is bliss.

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 13
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 6:08:15 PM   
Mr.Frag

Some good reading to pass the time for you folks:

http://gwpapers.virginia.edu/civility/transcript.html

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 14
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 7:53:50 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

I think you violate #2d.

2d When in Company, put not your Hands to any Part of the Body, not usualy Discovered.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 15
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 9:14:41 PM   
ravinhood

That's one reason I rarely read AAR's until after I have the game. Why let yourself be teased? You have control over yourself (well at least I hope you do), so you only allow yourself frustration if you allow it. ;)

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 16
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 9:15:58 PM   
mavraam

quote:

I have to say that the lack of perspective is appalling.

I would agree, if I didn't see exactly the same thing on every game forum in the history of the internet everytime a major release slips by one day!

Did you happen to stop by the HOI2 forum towards the end? It got UGLEEEE!

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 17
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/18/2005 11:58:42 PM   
VI66_slith

Waiting for Battlefield 2 to hit the streets (now slated for June '05) will encumber the most stalwart among us with the fidgets, so to that end GGWAW is coming relatively fast.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

One must also learn one way or the other to relax (online as well as in public) before one can learn civility.

Vin

"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 18
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/22/2005 2:13:27 AM   
MadMarlin

quote:

... I have to say that the lack of perspective is appalling. People are acting like Matrix is withholding the cure for cancer.

WHAT!!! You mean to tell me WAW will NOT cure cancer?!?!?!

I am tired of developers promising one thing, and then delivering another! First we find out that the game will not have leaders, then it turns out it is NOT a first person shooter, and now it wont even cure cancer!!!

Well GOODBYE MATRIX!!! I will never, ever, even think about buying this game! In fact, when it comes out I wont even look at the box on the shelf!!! <--- This reads " I cant wait for the game to come out, and will purchase it immediately. And of course I will still hang around the forums and post about twenty more times....

Very Angry Marlin (Beyond just normal mad)

P.S. In case you missed it.....this post is sarcastic.

< Message edited by MadMarlin -- 3/22/2005 4:01:09 AM >

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 19
RE: What ever happened to civility? - 3/22/2005 4:58:39 AM   
Zap

quote:

One must also learn one way or the other to relax (online as well as in public) before one can learn civility

I agree with you. Sometimes I wonder if some complainers ever read the posts from Matrix people? They explain the situation, then the response is disbelief,conspiracy,disdain. I wonder with some complainers replys, have we read the same post? I have seen some positive criticism made in these forums. And they are appreciated. I,ve never liked the soap operas

I look forward to those who can give insight into whats up. And so my philosophy is to wait and see. I have found Matrixes updates and replys to be informative.

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> What ever happened to civility? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI