Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Reasons To Buy Retail!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/21/2005 10:15:25 AM   
kaliyama

Retail can work if people say, order the game and buy it. Look at Paradox. They've broken quite successfully into the retail market with games that are about as accessible as this one. But if everyone who knows they want to buy it, looks at retail, and says 'Gee, retail never works, so i'm not going to support it.', probably does matrix more harm in the long-run in lost sales from retail distribution than whatever MG gets in extra profit from the DD.
-drew

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 31
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/21/2005 10:57:30 AM   
Zap

Its not the wandering customer that Matrix hopes to target (they may get lucky with a few of these) but they want those who specifically go to the game section in a store like Fry,s Electronics has a whole isle full of war games (I buy war games there and I see others looking in that section). It is the hope of Matrix to make a winner for the Stores with this one. They need those sales.
So, you might want to try and make an effort to send someone in that direction. Rather then "send out bad vibes" .
ravinhood, gave an example of one on one success story. We need to do the same.

(in reply to targul)
Post #: 32
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/21/2005 1:59:58 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

Retail will not work. Hasn't for years.

Retail will not work eh? Hasn't for years? Man if that is so all these retail stores I see in my town must have been mirages for all these years. I've been eating air and playing air guitars and imagining all these games I am playing on my computer. lol

(in reply to targul)
Post #: 33
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/21/2005 6:08:30 PM   
mavraam

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

I wont go for a european retail version. reason's simple : I dont want to wait till it is translated in german. I dont need a localized version. However, I am a fan of printed manuals.

You can take the PDF to Kinko's (or some other printer) and have it printed. I've done it twice and have been very happy with the results.

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 34
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/21/2005 7:54:26 PM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

quote:

Retail will not work eh? Hasn't for years? Man if that is so all these retail stores I see in my town must have been mirages for all these years. I've been eating air and playing air guitars and imagining all these games I am playing on my computer. lol

Go to those retail stores, and come back and tell us how many wargames you find for sale at them.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 35
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/21/2005 9:37:40 PM   
mavraam

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

quote:

Go to those retail stores, and come back and tell us how many wargames you find for sale at them.

I know what you mean. I live in a city with a metro area of about 2-3 million and AFAIK there is only one computer store where you can find a reasonable collection of war games sitting on the shelf. Its called Computer Micro Center and they actually have things like Korsun Pocket and HTTR sitting on the shelf! But they are about the only one. But even they are stocked with 90% FPS brain dead crap. Games for people who want to actually think are very hard to find!

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 36
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/21/2005 10:06:35 PM   
Zap

quote:

Go to those retail stores, and come back and tell us how many wargames you find for sale at them

I went to Fry,s Electronics (Similar to Best Buy) in Sacramento, Ca. they had one section dedicated to War games. I would say there were over 30 different titles. Too many were RTS/FPS games. Httr was one of those games among those thirty. That is why Matrix needs to get its games in the stores. As I have bought games in stores (there were people looking in that section.) If this title has some success retail stores will be more willing to give shelf space.
We are trying to reach a greater portion of the public are we not? I say use all avenues at ones disposal. Do you have a positive suggestion to increase access to more people? If so,please share it.

< Message edited by Zap -- 3/21/2005 10:25:03 PM >

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 37
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/21/2005 10:21:38 PM   
Scott_WAR

Here is another thing that bothers me. GGWAW went gold March 4rth, according to Matrix's homepage. Supremacy went gold March 8th. Supremacy was available for download or physical purchase March 9th. GGWAW is still unavailable.

(in reply to kaliyama)
Post #: 38
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/21/2005 10:31:43 PM   
Zap

According to Eric Rutkins thread in this Forum it will be available for DD the day stores begin to sell it. They must have a contractual agreement with retail vendors not to release before hand.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 39
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/21/2005 10:49:04 PM   
Scott_WAR

Oh I am sure they do. If it was available for download before the retail vendors got it, it could hurt the retailers sales.

The point is the amount of time it is taking to get GGWAW from gold to released status, compared to Supremacy. Yeah, I know ...."retail", but that usually takes 2 weeks for every other game out there, why nearly a month for this game?

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 3/21/2005 10:53:03 PM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 40
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/22/2005 1:25:06 AM   
eMonticello

Testing animation graphics...

Attachment (1)

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 41
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/22/2005 1:59:01 AM   
ratprince

Scott;

Let me help with some of your angst.

1) DD is simply ones and zeros passing across a wire...
2) Retail version requires paper, cds, and a box...all require production time
3) Boxes cannot pass through cables like DD, they must ride a truck/plane/boat to the store
4) Ultimately, unless you are a participant in the industry, how can you really presume to know how many weeks it "should" take?

In the end, we should just be patient and await the arrival of this grand game. Once it hits our hard drives, all of this moaning and complaining will be water under the bridge.

later

"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 42
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/22/2005 9:51:46 PM   
Adam Parker

I'd like to contribute to this debate.

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike mcmann

1) DD is simply ones and zeros passing across a wire...

OK... How come we have to pay for zero's?

Some of you people have no idea how to complain.

(in reply to ratprince)
Post #: 43
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/22/2005 10:21:51 PM   
Paul Vebber

And once you know where teh Zero's are you aren't paying for - everything else MUST BE 1's ... the conspiracy is even DEEPER THAN YOU IMAGINED!!!

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 44
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/23/2005 12:59:58 AM   
eMonticello

Actually, the zeros are free, you're really paying for the ones.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 45
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/23/2005 1:54:49 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

The point is the amount of time it is taking to get GGWAW from gold to released status, compared to Supremacy. Yeah, I know ...."retail", but that usually takes 2 weeks for every other game out there, why nearly a month for this game?

Another "broad statement", we announced GOLD when it was actually GOLD, who tells you other companies do the same?

There´s a lot of things that can expand the GOLD to Store Arrival date, one of them which shouldn´t be underestimated is the print queue you´re in. There´s almost nothing you can do there as publisher.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 46
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/23/2005 2:50:55 AM   
ratprince

Exactly Marc!

I was trying to explain the principle (in an earlier post) that "physical manifestation" requires a bit more time than electronic transmission.

This world of instant gratification makes all of you Matrix fellas jobs more difficult I imagine? I for one am not only patient, but GRATEFUL that there are like minded gamers out there with the "gumption" and determination to design and make these games.....take as much time as you need. We loyal customers will be here regardless....

later

Mike

"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 47
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/23/2005 3:13:59 AM   
Marc von Martial

Let me explain it a bit further. When a game is gone GOLD it means that you have delivered the master CD, all the box and CD artwork and everything else that is needed for the final boxed product (for example serial numbers, insert leaflet etc. etc.) to the facilities that are responsible for print. Be it CD replication or paper print stuff. At this point you´re dependent on these third (or more) parties. If the queue is long, you have to wait, of course you can take this in consideration, and we do, but as with all things in life not everything can be planned ahead, especially not when dealing with a third or fourth party.

It´s a matter of a few days, please stay calm. I also want to have the final thing on my shelf. And I won´t have it ealier then anybody else here.

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 3/23/2005 3:19:17 AM >

(in reply to ratprince)
Post #: 48
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/23/2005 3:36:09 AM   
Pippin

quote:

And don't forget folks, do NOT try to divide by zeros on your computer at home. Only leave that to the experts.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

Post #: 49
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/23/2005 4:07:11 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pippin

quote:

And don't forget folks, do NOT try to divide by zeros on your computer at home. Only leave that to the experts.

LOL. Yes, unfortunately we experts are far too good at it.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 50
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/23/2005 4:32:43 AM   
Marc von Martial

Dividing "0" is simple, it looks lie this "("

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 51
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/23/2005 5:45:37 AM   
mbatch729

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Really? I thought it was more like "oo" (I know, but I can't get the infinity symbol from Word to paste correctly)

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

Post #: 52
RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! - 3/23/2005 6:33:08 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

That's an artist for you

Also the funniest thing I've read for a while

Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> RE: Reasons To Buy Retail! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI