Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carriers in Pearl

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Carriers in Pearl Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carriers in Pearl - 2/21/2005 7:17:47 AM   
Greyshaft

Has anyone ever created a scenario with all of the US Carriers in Pearl at the start of the game?

/Greyshaft
Post #: 1
RE: Carriers in Pearl - 2/22/2005 9:22:14 PM   
Capt Cliff

Why? It's tough enough on the Allies, vs. a human opponent that doesn't have to plan operation and can wing an invasion on the spur of the moment (which was never done by either side and destroys the SIGNT advantage). Blowing the US carriers away on 12/7/41 is a pro-axis alignment ... hmmm, do you own a Japanese car too???

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 2
RE: Carriers in Pearl - 2/23/2005 1:58:44 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

Why? It's tough enough on the Allies, vs. a human opponent that doesn't have to plan operation and can wing an invasion on the spur of the moment (which was never done by either side and destroys the SIGNT advantage). Blowing the US carriers away on 12/7/41 is a pro-axis alignment ... hmmm, do you own a Japanese car too???

Why do you presume that I want to play the Japanese side? The Japanese had hoped to catch the US Carriers in Pearl and I think it would be an interesting challenge to fight the Allied side in that scenario.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 3
RE: Carriers in Pearl - 2/23/2005 9:37:26 PM   
Capt Cliff

Just joking Greyshaft!! It sure would put the US's back to the wall!!!

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 4
RE: Carriers in Pearl - 4/12/2005 10:19:26 PM   
Poopyhead

You can get the same result if you send the Japanese carriers to bomb the port in, I believe the name is Palmyra, instead of Hawaii. The U.S. carrier task forces are there and they flee towards Pearl. Most of the time the U.S. carriers get sunk by your carrier aircraft (once, one carrier limped into Pearl with 89 weeks worth of damage). This really cripples the Allies and the game usually ends with a victory for Japan in December '42.

Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 5
RE: Carriers in Pearl - 4/13/2005 12:48:22 AM   
Greyshaft

My current game as the Japanese shows a scoreboard of 8/0 for CV and 9/0 for BB. After PH I sent KB to assist at Singapore/Palembang where they met 3 US CV, then they went into the Indian Ocean to sink 2 RN CV then down to Fiji to sink 3 more USN CV. They only incoming damage through all of this was a 250lb bomb on the Shokaku which did 3 points of damage...

Why would you ever break up the KB Death Star?

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 6
RE: Carriers in Pearl - 4/13/2005 8:35:14 PM   
Poopyhead

Good work! After you over-run Asia, invade Los Angeles and the U.S. should surrender (if you have the 2 to 1 victory point advantage). Skull dragging the AI is sooo satisfying.

Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 7
RE: Carriers in Pearl - 4/14/2005 12:38:17 AM   
Greyshaft

Actually I'm bogged down in Calcutta (4 Div) and Perth (2 Div) right now. I keep shipping supplies in to those places but the boys never get above 35 readiness so I might have reached my zenith. KB is raiding Fiji every turn and sinking lots of MCS and DD but I think its time to pull my head in a bit before I come down with Victory Disease.

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 8
RE: Carriers in Pearl - 4/14/2005 4:25:34 PM   
Poopyhead

You've got a great lead, but unless you take something big, like LA, the U.S. just keeps building until you get atom bombed. You get points for expanding bases and for having a big oil reserve. Keep an eye on your overall points and see how you can get those last few points to put yourself over the top. Good luck!

P.S.>I could never take India by the overland route. Take the islands in the Indian Ocean and pound Calcutta into dog food with airpower. Then make several fleets of supplies with one good Infantry division each. Send in the battlewagons to soften things up, then roll in the carriers and hit the beach. As each transport fleet arrives, you get a fresh attack at high readiness by all the forces present. Sooner or later, it's all over. Any Allied ships in port then flee south toward your hometown. If you prepare several bases along the route with Zeroes and Betties, subs and surface attack fleets, then you'll be in for a real turkey shoot!

< Message edited by Poopyhead -- 4/14/2005 8:49:42 PM >

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 9
RE: Carriers in Pearl - 4/15/2005 12:55:35 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poopyhead
I could never take India by the overland route. Take the islands in the Indian Ocean and pound Calcutta into dog food with airpower.

Ceylon and Andaman are already Japanese. I might take your advice... pull the Calcutta divs back to Dacca and let them R&R up to 80+ readiness then go in over the beaches. Its a bit of a learning game for me. This is my first serious Japanese campaign.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 10
RE: Carriers in Pearl - 4/15/2005 4:48:38 PM   
Poopyhead

The combat system is a little strange to get used to. I use multiple invasion fleets to "jackhammer" my way in. You basically beat the defenders like a drum. Several smaller attacks are better than one big one. If it works in Calcutta, it will work in LA.
You can also make "super divisions". Split a division in two and send the new brigade to a nearby base. The original unit will rebuild to about 95%. Then move that other brigade back to the same base with its parent unit. They join and become the super division with about 145% of the original strength. The experience takes a hit, so its give and take. You can also do this with engineer units. Split the parent unit several times (alowing it to rebuild each time) and then put the pieces together for two units with over a hundred squads each. This way, you have better engineer units and more of them. I believe that there is a max allowed of fifty new units. Banzai!

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 11
RE: Carriers in Pearl - 5/24/2005 5:53:35 AM   
Ranger-75

Sure, why not,

but then again, let's have a percent chance of the IJN carrier strike force getting spotted on its way over, and a higher percent chance of the messages not being delayed on their way to Pearl's various HQs and an even higher percent chance of the radar operators sightings actually being paid attention to

I'm back (for who knows how long)...

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 12
RE: Carriers in Pearl - 5/24/2005 11:20:24 AM   
deVada

Nice to see You back in one piece Ranger !

the more You play - the less You understand ... :p

(in reply to Ranger-75)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Carriers in Pearl Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI