Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tin Soldiers Peloponnesian War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Tin Soldiers Peloponnesian War Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tin Soldiers Peloponnesian War - 1/23/2005 1:07:53 AM   
Louie71

I personally think it would be amazing if Tin Soldiers had a sequel (although going backwards in time) that used the Peloponnesian War for a campaign. It would be really cool to be able to battle as any of the participants (to allow for much more replayability than Alexander the Great, letting us beat it over and over again from a different side). There are tons of great miniatures out there of Peloponnesian War era Spartans, Athenians, etc.

I would just personally LOVE to see this game made some time, if there aren't any ideas yet for the next game, this time period might be something cool to really consider in my opinion.
Post #: 1
RE: Tin Soldiers Peloponnesian War - 1/23/2005 8:50:01 PM   
Hertston

Koios are a lot further along than "ideas" for the next game.

You might want to read through the "What features would you like to see next" thread if you havn't done so already.

(in reply to Louie71)
Post #: 2
RE: Tin Soldiers Peloponnesian War - 1/23/2005 11:30:52 PM   
Louie71

I mean, for the game after the Julius Caesar one. And I agree with the Hannibal suggestions, since I'm not crazy about the Romans, it would be nice to crush them with my elephants for a bit.

But still, I think the Peloponnesian Wars would allow for a ton of fun if the ability to replay history and take whichever city-state you choose and lead them to victory. It might not be as historically accurate as the current design of the games, but it would be really fun and open up a huge opportunity for replayability and online fun.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 3
RE: Tin Soldiers Peloponnesian War - 1/23/2005 11:47:38 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Louie71

I mean, for the game after the Julius Caesar one.

Ah.. sorry. Your idea would be a good choice in that case, other than possibly in the "sell-a-bility" stakes. Based on no evidence whatsoever I suspect TS3 (if there is one) might well go to pastures completely new such as Napoleonics or the American Civil War.

As far as ancients go, the game I would personally like to see (with absolutely no hope of ever actually seeing it, unless I wrote it myself!) would be a "Battles of the Bible". It's something I'd never even thought of until someone bought me a book (Battles of the Bible, Herzog/Gichon (2002), Greenhill, London) on the subject, and the potential for a good wargame is tremendous. The history is fascinating too, but as far as I'm aware its a topic that computer wargaming has never touched.

(in reply to Louie71)
Post #: 4
RE: Tin Soldiers Peloponnesian War - 1/24/2005 1:32:49 AM   
Louie71

True, a Biblical Wars game would be pretty cool. But if there is a TS3... I just thought of something. Instead of making small games, one theme at a time, why not put the effort into putting together the complete miniature experience? Make it cost a bit more, but include all sorts of armies and campaigns.

Sure, this eliminates a need to sequels and replayability, but it is almost guaranteed to sell larger amounts, and nobody would be stopping Matrix from releasing a new version every now and then with updated features, rulesets and models (heck, sports games come out year after year and I keep buying the updated versions ).

That would also really help get the miniature scene popular out there, and help the hobby too. Or maybe I'm just tripping on my own excitement here...

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 5
RE: Tin Soldiers Peloponnesian War - 1/24/2005 2:16:26 AM   
Deride

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston
As far as ancients go, the game I would personally like to see (with absolutely no hope of ever actually seeing it, unless I wrote it myself!) would be a "Battles of the Bible".

Funny you mentioin that, Hertston. If it weren't for the Alexander the Great movie by Oliver Stone (who knew it was going to be so awful?), we were going to do Tin Soliders: Battles of the Bible as our first game. Unfortunately, it would have been an ever harder sale...

Deride

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 6
RE: Tin Soldiers Peloponnesian War - 1/24/2005 9:54:05 PM   
Louie71

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deride

Funny you mentioin that, Hertston. If it weren't for the Alexander the Great movie by Oliver Stone (who knew it was going to be so awful?), we were going to do Tin Soliders: Battles of the Bible as our first game. Unfortunately, it would have been an ever harder sale...

Deride

It wasn't all bad, the visuals were great although sometimes inaccurate (armoured elephants for instance... during that time period they were all bareback in reality). But I mean, when it put all the nonsense about Alexander's personal life, which nobody really cares about, and got down to the battles (especially Gaugamela) it really shined in my opinion.

It could have been such a great movie, they had the skill, organization and scenery for amazing battle scenes... it was just so horribly executed with the focus in all the wrong places...

I don't recall Egypt ever being mentioned in that movie aside from the fact that we have Ptolemy narrating the stories to his scribe. You would think that they would focus a little on Alexander's campaigns. Two battles, each ten minutes long, does not do justice to the man's successes.

(in reply to Deride)
Post #: 7
RE: Tin Soldiers Peloponnesian War - 1/25/2005 6:16:28 AM   
Hertston

quote:

LOL... there you go, perhaps there's hope after all I agree it would be very hard to make money with it though. Wargaming is very much a "genre" thing anyway, without straying too far from its most popular subjects.

Maybe Louie is on the right lines, and (if the next one does well enough to support the extended development) a construction-kit approach is the way to go. You could get some really good fan stuff produced that way (getting the miniatures and painting them, to include them in your own maps/scenarios would be really fun), and that always extends the shelf-life of a game. Meanwhile, you guys get on with TS: Napoleon or TS: Civil War. Sorted !

Seriously though, a game TS has always reminded of is Age of Rifles, a favourite of many here. Part of the great attraction of that game was that it was so versatile, and sprung up so many scenarios in conflicts people had never experienced on PC before. What other game gave you the Crimea, Franco-Prussian War and Little Big Horn ?

< Message edited by Hertston -- 1/25/2005 7:49:49 AM >

(in reply to Deride)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Tin Soldiers Peloponnesian War Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI