ORIGINAL: Wild Bill
This is really mysterious to me too, fellas. I wish I had a quick answer. The guys seem to have covered all that I can think of that might cure the problem.
As with most problems, it is a matter of the process of elimination. It has to be the (1) the game itself, (2) some error in the installation, (3) compatibility with other programs on the computer.
It pretty much has to be confined to these areas.
1. Has it always done this, since you first installed it, or did it start occurring sometime afterward?
From as soon as I install it, from a fresh XP1 install (SP2), I got to play about 2 turns of a WW2 Campaign scenario before it happened again.
2. Have you tried shutting down any other programs that are unneccessary in your startup program. You can restart them when you finish. I don't think this is it. IF that were the case, the game would not run at all. Also do not have any other programs running when you are in the game.
Nothing unusual in the background, certainly nothing that's been constant over the whole time I've been playing.
3. Is your only problem with vehicles? What kind? Tanks, trucks, AFVs? Or all of them? Any particular country, or all of them? What kind of attacking or defending fire are being used against them, infantry antitank, other tanks, artillery, aircraft?
Just tanks, I hear the hit sound and right back to desktop. I haven't done specific tests but I can't remember it happening against anything but a hit which could kill the vehicle. Rifle and machinegun rounds aren't triggering it.
4. Have you loaded in ServicePack #2 of WindowsXP. It includes certain safeguards against computer encroachment that crippled some of my games and I had to remove it. Now they work fine.
No SP2, I even had this problem under Win98.
5. Do you have this problem with any other games when you play them? Do you have other versions of Steel Panthers that you play? Do they work?
No other problems with any other games. This is the only Steel Panthers that I've played.
7. Are these computer generated battles or scenarios designed by individuals? DOes it happen in campaign play or just scenarios? Is it all scenarios or some of them? Which scenarios give you problems? Can you name them for me?
I play the WW2 campaign almost exclusively.
9. Do me a favor. Crank up a scenario. After arriving at turn one but BEFORE you make a single move or fire, save it. Send the save to me. Let me try it on my computer. If I don't have that problem then we have eliminated a number of possibilities.
The real problem is that it's not reproducible, it's random and infrequent for any given hit, reloading a save means it won't happen again on any particular attack, even if the first attack after the reload triggers it.
Send it to: email@example.com
Will do, I wish I could narrow it down better.
Send me your e-mail address. I'll try your battle and see what happens to me when I fire at a tank.
Tell you what. Unless you have a particular one you want to try, use scenario 031, Blenheim Blunder. It is primarily a tank action. Start it, get to turn one, save it before moving or firing, zip it up in its save format and send it to me.
Standing by....Wild Bill