Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carriers Not Refitting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Carriers Not Refitting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carriers Not Refitting - 10/15/2004 5:08:19 PM   
Thayne

I have had two carriers sitting in Aukland for a considerable amount of time (several weeks) to refit and return to combat . . . with a repair ship in port . . . with no repairs being done on the carriers.

I mean . . . nothing has been done.

There are no other ships in the port. Just two carriers and a repair ship (AR type) -- and the system damage for both carriers has not changed one iota in three weeks.

This is making several senior officers in the South Pacific Command very . . . unpleasant to talk to. Every phone call and communication with them includes demands that these carriers be made available -- particularly with all of the unpleasantness happening around Port Moresby recently.

Is there some reason I am aware of (e.g., base ownership, subversive Japanese sympathizers living in New Zealand, volcanic eruptions covering everything in ash) that I might have missed that explains why Aukland refuses to work on American carriers?

< Message edited by Thayne -- 10/15/2004 3:09:24 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/15/2004 5:25:28 PM   
Twotribes

Auckland has to low a repair capability to repair a carrier. Dont remember what level the port is but isnt the repair yard only 15? If so it can only have 60 points max built up ( well 70 if as I suspect it adds the turns points to pool and doesnt check till end of turn) A carrier has more durability than 75, repair points cfan only be used to repair a ship if repair points are equal to or more than the durability of the ship.

The port may repair a point a day for free, but the smaller the port the less likely that is to occur.

I suggest you send your carriers to at least Pearl Harbor or San Francisco would be better. Failing that cause you are afraid they wont make the trip or dont want them to far from the area they are in, send them to a size 9 port ( is sydney a 10?)with the AR.

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 2
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/15/2004 6:43:59 PM   
mwindsorfw

I've got a similar question. I'm Allied player in the Guadacanal scenario, and most of my carriers have system damage in the 20s. I can't figure out how to get them repaired. I've had them docked at Brisbane and Luganville at various times, but nothing seems to happen. I seem to recall that there might be a way to exit them to Pearl Harbor, but I can't figure out the mechanism for doing it.

-Mike

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 3
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/15/2004 8:08:24 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Auckland has to low a repair capability to repair a carrier. Dont remember what level the port is but isnt the repair yard only 15? If so it can only have 60 points max built up ( well 70 if as I suspect it adds the turns points to pool and doesnt check till end of turn) A carrier has more durability than 75, repair points cfan only be used to repair a ship if repair points are equal to or more than the durability of the ship.

The port may repair a point a day for free, but the smaller the port the less likely that is to occur.

I suggest you send your carriers to at least Pearl Harbor or San Francisco would be better. Failing that cause you are afraid they wont make the trip or dont want them to far from the area they are in, send them to a size 9 port ( is sydney a 10?)with the AR.

I think refits to ships should be nationality specific and if one wants to use US ports for none USN refits, a PP penalty must be paid.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 4
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/15/2004 8:26:37 PM   
steveh11Matrix

Not terribly historic, an awful lot of RN ships were repaired in US yards, for instance. As far as I can see the system appears to work, I just don't understand the fine detail - but limiting the repair options in the way you suggest would be a house rule I'd argue against.

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 5
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/16/2004 12:12:15 AM   
SeaWolF K

Thayne,

What size is Aukland. As I understand repair rates each port size increase doubles the repair chance. I have good luck repairing CV's in Sydney

SeaWolF

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 6
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/16/2004 2:43:40 AM   
denisonh

Another factor is the availablility of new hardware.

Those CVs will suck up a lot of 20mm/40mm cannons. If other ships can refit with fewer cannons, they will upgrade keeping your cannon pool too small for the CV to upgrade.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to SeaWolF K)
Post #: 7
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/16/2004 3:13:20 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: steveh11Matrix

Not terribly historic, an awful lot of RN ships were repaired in US yards, for instance. As far as I can see the system appears to work, I just don't understand the fine detail - but limiting the repair options in the way you suggest would be a house rule I'd argue against.

Steve.

You don't think PPs should be spent to use another countries repair yards? Seems like a political situation for me. They can do it as they did historically, they just had to cut through red tape/accept another nationalities tech or have it brought in. Obviously does not warrant any change in the game considering ships have no PP/HQ restrictions, or any real operations/crew/fatigue/morale limitations either. Bigger fish to fry if the 1.3 patch fixes ASW, SURFACE COMBAT, LEADERS etc such as ...NIGHT BOMBING, AI TF ROUTING, MAP ALTERATIONS...

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 8
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/16/2004 10:02:06 AM   
Raverdave

Nope.....PPs should NOT be used for repairs to ships. Lots of ships from different navys used Aussie ports during the war. Just so long as the allied nations could afford to have the ships repaired then they were.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 9
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/16/2004 10:10:48 AM   
Tankerace

The only way I can see PPs paid is for say Chinese, Dutch, or Soviet ships. Maybe Australian and Canadian. But British ships routinely refitted at US ports, and so did FNFL (Free French) ships. I can't see a justification of PPs for those countries. But, IMO, like Ron says, a truckload of stuff needs to be fixed before this stuff.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 10
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/16/2004 2:34:28 PM   
michaelm75au

I thought ship upgrades did not require resources from the pool, only LCU or aircraft upgrades did that.
They just happen once shipyard resources and ship damage are within required parameters.

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 11
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/16/2004 2:44:34 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Anyone think like myself and would like to have seen crew factors modelled? Naval crew factors would have been like squads and would suffer the effects of disruption, fatigue, morale, and elimination due to combat, long periods at sea, weather. This would have added much to the model by adding operational realities and as a bonus, their loss equals VPs. Submarines would suffer the effects of fatigue and morale the most and would entice players to rest and refit subs in a morerealistic manner...right now I suspect submarines rarely disband in a port.

This would not be too hard to program I guess, what with squads being in the game already. Would add a lot to the game.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 12
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/16/2004 6:47:38 PM   
Thayne

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeaWolF K

Thayne,

What size is Aukland. As I understand repair rates each port size increase doubles the repair chance. I have good luck repairing CV's in Sydney

SeaWolF

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SeaWolF K)
Post #: 13
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/16/2004 6:51:40 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: mwindsorfw

I've got a similar question. I'm Allied player in the Guadacanal scenario, and most of my carriers have system damage in the 20s. I can't figure out how to get them repaired. I've had them docked at Brisbane and Luganville at various times, but nothing seems to happen. I seem to recall that there might be a way to exit them to Pearl Harbor, but I can't figure out the mechanism for doing it.

-Mike

MIKE Try sending them to Sydney. Better facilities for that sort of thing.

(in reply to mwindsorfw)
Post #: 14
RE: Carriers Not Refitting - 10/16/2004 7:30:40 PM   
Twotribes

I had one of my carriers sit in Peral harbor for about 4 weeks before it repaired 3 points of damage so it would upgrade. The ship damage has to be below 5 before an upgrade will occur. Repair is random at times, if your unlucky it can take quite a bit of time to repair large ships.

8 isnt to bad, 9 will be better. Just remember the repair yard is to small to help repair the ships, you have to depend on the port regular repair only.

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Carriers Not Refitting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI