Hello , Les good words here form you !
I read all these posts fanatically :-))
I met strategy playing small soldiers that was
my first contact with WWII and history..
I played always alone never inspecting deeply than that really ...I never played any boardgame simply becuase I never met anyone here who played that kind of games..
then came the PC and I was a generalized player..
Commodore64 , 386 , PEnthium and Celeron , playing all the possible games .
One day I found myself at my uncle's home..
he had a PC he used to play Great Naval Battles (from SSI)..I didn't enjoyed it too much , that day I was boring ..nothing to do I decided to look at every possible PC videogame owned by my uncle..found nothing..untill odds decided I had to find something verydifferent into the Great Naval Battles CD !!
there I FOUND a demo of SP1 !
That was a DAY in history for ME !
I can still remember some few battles I played since 3, 5 also 10 YEARS AGO !!!!
I bought not so many games because it costed to me too much , but I bought SP1,SP2 and SP3 , Wing Commander ,Civilization I & II , Caesar III , Close Combat 2 &3,Panzer General3D ,Sudden Strike and something from Star Trek universe...
SPWAW succeded in being THE ONLY OFFSPRING of SP1!
SP3 failed this task, it wasn't what a true lover of SP1 was expecting !
SPWAW did what SP3 maybe was intended for...
I love Matrix devotion and seriousness , their respect for tradition , their clever vision of the game and the fact that SPWAW is more oriented to the players rather than to the business (simply think to all the issues refused for game design incompatibility ) and it's a real pity that many of us (while I am full of praise for the others ) did not understood that we should provide the right feedback to let this approch
go on !
SPWAW didn't make the same errors that all the others wargames did..the best examples comes from Panzer General3D and Suddenstrike..
I really think that as soon as Matrix will provide SPWAW/CL a step towards some issues that today unfortunatley are the needed ingredients to collect succesfully sales (think simply to 3D that is a must ) this game will reach a hall of fame like Starcraft or Civilization made
because of two reasons :
a) SPWAW HAS the deepness and simplicity and optionability and creativity
b) the team of developers is very experienced , and most of all interested in the creature ...they believe in the project but they do steps in the correct sequence..
I am sure they will do this steps in the future..CL is a symbol of this future-minded company..they are growing ! And they are doing it safely!
WE are a part of the mechanism ! We decide how much they are right !
And now the game :
1) it's always different , there are many nations involved , many theatres , absolutely customizable you can be either be a designer and a player
2) deeper , clever , intensive , exciting , challenging , innovative , simple and difficult (try to develop tactics to let the Italians win against anyone in the late war :-)) )
3) balanced..a mix of elements can bring to the victory or not..it depends..tactics can be very different ...and everyone can create his own tactic ! it's not only a question of manual skill !
4) it's detailed , it rages from low levels battles to larger ones , including many apsects..issues , features . You can live many experiences of the past through all the things represented in the game as closer than ever..
5) it seems to be free from al the 'kids' playing mouse dramatically as you can see in Quake ..it's open to all ages...players can met from very far generations !
6) it seems to be full o mature people who is mainly interested in honourable challengings and experiencing rather than a racing for a void senseless latter ..I am happy to compare tactics with my opponents ! I met a lot of GOOD GOOD friends here !
7) it's one of the best games who has the power to let your WWII books to be figured
8) it's a good instrument of knowledge
9) could I also forget HOW MUCH SPWAW has offered to us regarding the possibility of influencing the game design ?
10) WB ,Paul , Heath and many others are extraordinary people here ..this project is full of their love that involves time and resources beyond time , resources and pain !!
11) Finally I do not know ! I am fond on WWII history..maybe SPWAW makes this history something actual , something not to be forgotten for both sides
Despite everything SP before and now SPWAW and then CL will alwys be my best friend in computer science !
Italian Soldier,German Discipline!