Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DD getting slower and slower!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> DD getting slower and slower! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DD getting slower and slower! - 7/2/2004 7:13:11 AM   
norsemanjs

My computer is crunching away at the DD and it is getting slower and slower. I have a dial-up and knew it would go slow but it has over the last hour gone from a 5 down to 3.15 KB/s and is steadily continuing to slow down. I knew this would be slow but kind of planned on doing it overnight for a couple of nights, but if this continues it could take all week! Any suggestions?

I've been tempted to stop and restart since it started out pretty good for the first 30-45 minutes but am worried about restarting the DD so many times.

I've never attempted to download anything of this size before, is this normal for the DL to gradually slow down over time.

Appreciate any feedback you can give me.
Post #: 1
RE: DD getting slower and slower! - 7/2/2004 7:23:49 AM   
pad152

I'm download with 56K modem for about 5Hrs now, I'm getting between 4.7 and 5.3 kbs. The whole download with a 56K modem should take about 24 - 28 hrs.

Make sure your don't have other auto-update programs like windows update, virus protection, popup blockers, music programs, MS/AOL messenger, etc) or schedled tasks running. Limit the number of programs running in your system tray.

Surfing the web while downloading doesn't help either!

< Message edited by pad152 -- 7/2/2004 5:26:58 AM >

(in reply to norsemanjs)
Post #: 2
RE: DD getting slower and slower! - 7/2/2004 7:35:29 AM   
norsemanjs

Thanks PAD152

I do not have any system or virus updates scheduled so that should not be an issue. I do have my virus & spy protection on. I don't like to be online without them. Speed is down to 3.10 now.

I've checked with my task manager and there is nothing else running. Just browsing this forum.

Thanks again for the input. (I'd be ok with 4.7 compared to my 3.1, it does make a difference)

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> DD getting slower and slower! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI