Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hardcoded unit abilities?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> Hardcoded unit abilities? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hardcoded unit abilities? - 6/29/2004 10:01:27 PM   
Alexander Seil

I might be misunderstanding that unit symbol screen released a while back, but it seems as if the movement types are hardcoded. The problem is, why can't paratroopers use motorized transport, as they often actually did? Granted, in those situations they were relegated to the role of regular ground troops, but designating them as motorized infantry would compromise the "polish" of the game. On a more serious note, why is it assumed that armored recon units were mechanized, when in fact a vast majority of recon vehicles (particularly on the German side) were wheeled and not tracked? Also, motorized rocket units misrepresent the tendency of the German army to haul their werfers using horse-drawn transport. I might sound like a nitpicker, but hard-coding transport values for units seems like a stretch of historical reality and, besides, it puts BF! at a "detail level" disadvantage when compared to its closest competitor, the PZC series. The fact that BF! is a game system doesn't necessarily serve as a good explanation -- TOAW:COW had about every type of rail artillery used in World War I in its database, even though most of its scenarios covered the 1940-1999 period.

< Message edited by Alexander Seil -- 6/29/2004 3:02:08 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Hardcoded unit abilities? - 6/29/2004 11:45:22 PM   
Ludovic Coval

Symbol and movement type are not definitevely linked. Designer can select any movement type that fits its need. So HQ dont need to be motorized (as by default) but can also be designed as mechanized or foot.

LC

(in reply to Alexander Seil)
Post #: 2
RE: Hardcoded unit abilities? - 6/30/2004 12:13:50 AM   
Alexander Seil

Thanks for the answer, that is very nice to hear.

(in reply to Ludovic Coval)
Post #: 3
RE: Hardcoded unit abilities? - 6/30/2004 2:12:33 AM   
IronDuke_slith

Yeh, don't worry, Alexander. In the Epsom scenario, all British lorried infantry and German Panzergreandiers start with foot movement rates, as they would not have had their trucks to hand when attacking or defending.

Each side comes with a transport pool in Battlefields, though, and you can choose to move some units by lorry, although it will mean less transport for your supply convoys, so it's a trade off.

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 4
RE: Hardcoded unit abilities? - 6/30/2004 2:21:21 AM   
Alexander Seil

In other words, we can motorize whichever units we desire, provided we've got the trucks and the jeeps and whatnot? What of changing motorized unit to horse-drawn, or is it only possible to change them to foot and vice versa? Also, is the motor pool associated with the entire force or with particular HQ units? What of mechanized transport? Sorry if that's too many questions for one person to ask ;).

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 5
RE: Hardcoded unit abilities? - 7/1/2004 12:37:07 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Alexander;

Nah...bring on the questions

The scenario designer can set the movement type (mechanized, motorized, horse drawn, leg mobile). This is the organic movement capability of the unit (eg, a "motorized" infantry unit would have dedicated truck transport) In addition, a unit may call upon the transport assets (motorized, horse-drawn, amphibious) of higher level HQ's). This is at the discretion of the player during the game, although the designer sets the transpot capabilities of the HQ's (eg. an American division HQ might have luxurious motorized transport assets but a German Volksgrenadier Div would not)

Post #: 6
RE: Hardcoded unit abilities? - 7/1/2004 1:15:21 AM   
geozero

Please feel free to ask away... As Cap, IronDuke, Erik, Ludo and others have pointed out, your questions and input are welcomed and appreciated.

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> Hardcoded unit abilities? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI