Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Units resting after a few kilometers??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Highway to the Reich >> Units resting after a few kilometers?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Units resting after a few kilometers?? - 5/21/2004 11:54:01 PM   
Kharkov

Just bought the game (awesome!) and have a major query regarding my german units.

When I issue a move command to my foot sloggers they only seem to move a mile or so then need a breather for a few hours!?! I know they are fatigued but still, I wouldn;t expext these guys to have a 3 hour kip while their comrades are getting pasted by the allies.

Any tips to get the lazy buggers up and moving would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: Units resting after a few kilometers?? - 5/22/2004 12:17:46 AM   
Mr.Frag

Check the Fatigue levels. Also look at their morale levels.

A lot of the poor quality troops are pretty much on the borderline of open rebellion and follow your orders briefly.

There is very little you can do to motivate some of these units. They really do not want to be there, but that is what was there historically so that is your lot to deal with.

These guys can get really frustrating because you look at the numbers of troops and it is quite impressive until you run into the first pilot waving airborne boy who is out of ammo and they run away cowering as he waves his empty gun in a threatening manner.

(in reply to Kharkov)
Post #: 2
RE: Units resting after a few kilometers?? - 5/22/2004 12:40:44 AM   
Makoto

quote:

Check the Fatigue levels. Also look at their morale levels.

A lot of the poor quality troops are pretty much on the borderline of open rebellion and follow your orders briefly.

There is very little you can do to motivate some of these units. They really do not want to be there, but that is what was there historically so that is your lot to deal with.

These guys can get really frustrating because you look at the numbers of troops and it is quite impressive until you run into the first pilot waving airborne boy who is out of ammo and they run away cowering as he waves his empty gun in a threatening manner.

Tettau's group was the worst, I had one full regiment of 2000+ men walk around in the woods for three days...

It is sincerity and faithfulness. It is self-sacrifice, duty, adherence to principle and unwavering loyalty to one's lord despite what the lord stands for, good or evil. It is an acceptance of one's place and status.

This is Makoto

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 3
RE: Units resting after a few kilometers?? - 5/22/2004 1:31:34 AM   
gts2096

Also, look at Choesion levels. It's been my experience that if choesion levels are low they will stop to reorganize.

(in reply to Kharkov)
Post #: 4
RE: Units resting after a few kilometers?? - 5/22/2004 3:49:19 AM   
EricGuitarJames

What I have noticed is that since the new patch units seem to stop and rest at a much lower fatigue level than previously. This was particularly noticeable when I was playing the Mook scenario and the British brigades were resting when the fatigue levels were at about 50% where previously it was nearer 80%. I think this is quite a radical change and it'll take a bit of getting used to. Damn! that means I've got to play it a whole lot more

It's Just a Ride!

(in reply to gts2096)
Post #: 5
RE: Units resting after a few kilometers?? - 5/22/2004 4:01:58 AM   
MarkShot

I haven't done much playing of HTTR recently. However, I've seen discussions that seem to indicate that a force will rest (like a battalion) if one or more companies are very fatigued. Of course, this has implications for forces, since some exhausted units can really be a drag, quite literally, on the entire force.

I guess this will further emphasize the importance of maintaining a reserve of fresh troops and rotating forces out of the line back to secure areas for a little peace and quiet.

---

Some fatigue reminders:

(1) Infantry tire much quicker than motorized units.

(2) Off road movement causes much higher fatigue.

(3) Night time movement causes much higher fatigue.

(4) Assaults even unopposed result in much higher fatigue (use recon and don't assaunt when you don't have to).

(5) Combat exhausts units even when they are winning.

(6) Numerous fire missions can exhaust arty and mortar crews that are in areas secure from the fighting.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to EricGuitarJames)
Post #: 6
RE: Units resting after a few kilometers?? - 5/22/2004 11:41:51 AM   
Tzar007

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

(4) Assaults even unopposed result in much higher fatigue (use recon and don't assaunt when you don't have to).

That I do too often. I assault in places where there are no enemy troops, "just in case". Just in case. I guess Probe is better in those cases, or recon ahead as you suggest.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 7
RE: Units resting after a few kilometers?? - 5/22/2004 1:07:35 PM   
KNac007

Tzar007 use movement in those cases. Movement, shorterst/covered, aggro high, formation line/arrowhead/scheloned, rof medium/high.

That way they will move not in road column and with more cover, if they find any small enemy unit they will brake them. You don't lose much time forming up and units get tired slower than if you assault.

I use this for approching to the frontline and I don't know for sure if there are enemy or not. If you find to much opposition then you can withdrtw and assult, or defend nd fix them.

It would be cool if we could modifie individual waypoints, so you could use move - road column until ner frontline nd then chnge formation.

(in reply to Tzar007)
Post #: 8
RE: Units resting after a few kilometers?? - 5/22/2004 2:58:00 PM   
CriticalMass

I guess this comes back to the oft repeated question: do I use move or defend, and more importantly the more often forgotten () answer

TANX
Andrew

< Message edited by CriticalMass -- 5/22/2004 3:54:44 PM >

I decided to ignore my orders and to take command at the front with my own hands as soon as possible
- Lieutenant General Erwin Rommel

(in reply to KNac007)
Post #: 9
RE: Units resting after a few kilometers?? - 5/22/2004 4:02:09 PM   
Tzar007

quote:

ORIGINAL: KNac007

Tzar007 use movement in those cases. Movement, shorterst/covered, aggro high, formation line/arrowhead/scheloned, rof medium/high.

That way they will move not in road column and with more cover, if they find any small enemy unit they will brake them. You don't lose much time forming up and units get tired slower than if you assault.

Good idea indeed, thanks for the advice.

(in reply to KNac007)
Post #: 10
RE: Units resting after a few kilometers?? - 5/24/2004 6:46:39 AM   
MadScot

As I think I mentioned elsewhere, I have real problems getting 1st Para Bde units into Arnhem, as often one or two fatigued coys will delay the whole bn. Ive tried detaching them, and reording the remainder and that sometimes gets them moving. But not always. Its ultra frustrating to KNOW the road to the bridge is open, but to have the brigade take a nap because of a few slightly tired coys. I'm sure the new patch is making it worse.

Id say in the worst case the coys are at 60-70% fatigue, certainly not in the 80-90% range.

(in reply to Tzar007)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Highway to the Reich >> Units resting after a few kilometers?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI