Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/14/2004 3:47:11 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

I would love to see a good SP:WaW quality talctical, and perhaps UV level strategic companion game of the ages of Rome. Roman legions and navies fighting from the Punic Wars to the end of the Empire. A lot to ask, I know. However I'm sure that Matrix could do it, if anyone can. Perhaps it could be released in mods, such as CL will be. The opening mod could concentrate on the Punic Wars with caesar's invasions, Augustus' stablization of the empire, and subsequent mods reflecting the changing roles and duties of the legions and the Republic/Empire's supply and political situations. Just a thought.

Eric maietta

Post #: 1
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/14/2004 5:01:01 AM   
EricGuitarJames

Well 'Rome: Total War' is scheduled for later this year. Turn-based strategy with real-time tactical battles. Even if the initial game doesn't cover what you want I'm sure it would be modded in the way you desire.

It's Just a Ride!

(in reply to AbsntMndedProf)
Post #: 2
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/14/2004 7:19:01 AM   
Madcombinepilot

quote:

Well 'Rome: Total War' is scheduled for later this year. Turn-based strategy with real-time tactical battles

wow. Sounds like my kind of game.

any sneak peaks?

(in reply to EricGuitarJames)
Post #: 3
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/14/2004 9:37:57 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Madcombinepilot

any sneak peaks?

Yup... "Shogun: Total War" and "Medieval: Total War". Expect more of the same, only with ancients.

The tactical battles in those games are terrific, although IMHO the "strategy" layer (especially in Medieval) is in the "watching paint dry" category. Fortunately, you don't have to bother with that if you don't want to.

Rome seems flavour of the month days with "Legion", "Praetorians", "Pax Romana" etc. Despite major faults in design, PR is a quite fun especially if you wan't to dabble in politics - which it actually simulates rather well.

(in reply to Madcombinepilot)
Post #: 4
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/14/2004 4:58:28 PM   
Frank W.

so which is the best roman / ancient game out there ?

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 5
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/14/2004 6:46:35 PM   
Hertston

The best pure wargames IMHO are still the Great Battles series (Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar) which are straight conversions of the GMT boardgames. You'll have trouble finding them now, although all run just fine under XP if you can (Alex needs setting both the install and game execs to W95 compatibility).

Pax Romana is potentially great game that got lost somewhere along the line. Spartan is a pretty good turn-based strat game, although your control over events in battles (which do look very nice) is limited - probably being more "realistic" as a consequence, actually.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 5/14/2004 4:47:37 PM >

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 6
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/14/2004 6:52:02 PM   
Belisarius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Madcombinepilot

quote:

Well 'Rome: Total War' is scheduled for later this year. Turn-based strategy with real-time tactical battles

wow. Sounds like my kind of game.

any sneak peaks?

Tons of info over at gamespot.com

The screenshots look awesome. Even more massive than Shogun.

Got StuG?

Post #: 7
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/14/2004 8:42:10 PM   
Makoto

quote:

The screenshots look awesome. Even more massive than Shogun.

And it's 3d! No more screwing around with sprites! I'm only hoping that they stick with the same formula as Shogun and Medieval; open ended gameplay is a must.

It is sincerity and faithfulness. It is self-sacrifice, duty, adherence to principle and unwavering loyalty to one's lord despite what the lord stands for, good or evil. It is an acceptance of one's place and status.

This is Makoto

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 8
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/15/2004 4:21:03 AM   
von Murrin

As long as they clean up the UI for the strat map.

Bleh. No one spends much time there, so click-click-click-rightclick-click-rightclick-click-END TURN. would be nice. Right now it's click-rightclick-click-click-click-click-rightclick-click-click-click-click-click-click-rightclick-click-click-click-click-click-
click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-rightclick-END TURN, and that's primarily due to the useless build notifications.

All they have to do to halve the strat map agony is put a next-build dropdown menu in that
notification screen. Then life would be good.

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to Makoto)
Post #: 9
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/15/2004 2:54:16 PM   
NefariousKoel

Yeah, I have the Great Battles collectors edition which I'm sure Herts would probably slice my jugular for if given half the chance. ;) Hell, I still have the tabletop Alexander one.

Still, I've never had more fun than with the Total War series for not only country control, but battlefield control. The mixture of the two is wholesome sweetness for control freaks, yet it's easy-going enough that it doesn't seem too labor intensive. It's just plain exquisite fun. . Medieval is still on Gamestop's best-seller list after being out for 2 years. That says something for us wannabe historians - most of which we've never spoken to. Amazing series.

I can't wait to see Rome:TW

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 10
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/15/2004 3:31:40 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Yeah, I have the Great Battles collectors edition which I'm sure Herts would probably slice my jugular for if given half the chance. ;) Hell, I still have the tabletop Alexander one.

LOL... yeah. I only have the Alexander one, now... I lost Hannibal years ago. I drove me nuts to see the collectors edition had been up for download at the Underdogs and then pulled because some obsure company I'd never heard of (who wouldn't ship to the UK anyway) was trying to sell a copy of Caesar they presumably found at the bottom of a drawer somewhere...

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 11
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/15/2004 7:29:38 PM   
NefariousKoel

Like I said Herts.. we can alway hook up and see where it goes in abandonwareland.

'Cause chicks dig it!

For all you fair FNGs... just try one of the Total War series. Magnificent!

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 12
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/15/2004 7:42:42 PM   
Madcombinepilot

quote:

The screenshots look awesome. Even more massive than Shogun

Thanks.

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 13
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/15/2004 9:07:38 PM   
Rune Iversen

For the grand strategic angle look here:

http://www.fenrir.dk/index.php

Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

Post #: 14
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/19/2004 12:28:52 AM   
NefariousKoel

Is it shareware Rune?

(in reply to Rune Iversen)
Post #: 15
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/19/2004 7:44:18 AM   
Maliki

There used to be a game for the Sega Genesis called Centurion:Defender of Rome.Loved that game.Animations were crap but it was good fun.Once you got far enough that you were taking on the Scythians and Parthians you would lose entire consular armies just trying to beat them down.Gameplay was simple but there were several layers to it.Sigh..the good old days of gaming.

"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 16
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/19/2004 8:32:18 AM   
Makoto

I know that game, it's available for PC on the site that must not be named.

It is sincerity and faithfulness. It is self-sacrifice, duty, adherence to principle and unwavering loyalty to one's lord despite what the lord stands for, good or evil. It is an acceptance of one's place and status.

This is Makoto

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 17
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/19/2004 10:37:19 AM   
Maliki

quote:

ORIGINAL: Makoto

What is this site that must not be named stuff?

"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."

(in reply to Makoto)
Post #: 18
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/19/2004 8:33:37 PM   
Frank W.

quote:

yep. i have it.

also iplayed it on the amiga IIRC.

quite nice simple game IMHO.

MALIKI: think of an animal....(litte riddle *g*)

(in reply to Makoto)
Post #: 19
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/19/2004 9:56:03 PM   
Makoto

____
WOOF!

This is Makoto

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 20
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/20/2004 7:40:45 AM   
Maliki

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank W.

quote:

yep. i have it.

also iplayed it on the amiga IIRC.

quite nice simple game IMHO.

MALIKI: think of an animal....(litte riddle *g*)

Animal...animal...????Any other clues?I'm lost here.

heres a riddle for you(just as payback()

What walks on 4 legs in the morning, 2 legs in the afternoon, and 3 legs in the evening?

An oldie but a goodie

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 21
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/20/2004 10:05:48 AM   
Maliki

This site wouldn't happen to share the name with a cartoon character from the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show now would it???

When criminals in this world appear
And break the laws that they should fear
And frighten all who see or hear
The cry goes up both far and near
For Underdog! Underdog! Underdog! Underdog!

Speed of lightning, roar of thunder
Fighting all who rob or plunder

Underdog. Underdog!

When in this world the headlines read
Of those whose hearts are filled with greed
Who rob and steal from those who need
To right this wrong with blinding speed
Goes Underdog! Underdog! Underdog! Underdog!

Speed of lightning, roar of thunder
Fighting all who rob or plunder
Underdog. Underdog

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 22
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/20/2004 12:23:57 PM   
Frank W.

answer: a human !

< Message edited by Frank W. -- 5/20/2004 11:19:43 AM >

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 23
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/20/2004 5:42:22 PM   
riverbravo

Im looking forward to Rome myself.

I laugh at hurricanes!

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 24
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/20/2004 7:46:17 PM   
KG Erwin

A few years ago I was fortunate in getting GBCE thru mail-order not long before it was discontinued. I'm also a big fan of the Age of Empires/Kings series. Now, I'm looking at the previews for Rome:Total War and thinking, wow, this looks great, the best of both worlds. The Gamesradar preview ( http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/previews/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=26255&subsectionid=1599 )
was downright breathless in its description (oooh! aaah!).
I haven't played any of the previous Total War series. From what I've read on this thread, I should be adding Rome:TW to my must-buy list.

Any dissenting opinions on the Total War titles?

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 5/20/2004 12:46:28 PM >

(in reply to AbsntMndedProf)
Post #: 25
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/20/2004 8:59:19 PM   
Pippin

There was one game I had.. Romanian Emperium... or Emperim Romanian.... something sounding like that. Roman wargame published around 1985 or so. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 26
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/21/2004 2:09:26 AM   
KG Erwin

I just saw one of the in-game trailers for Rome:TW. It simply looks gorgeous. I see many similarities between this and the AoE/AoK game system, but visually it really is breathtaking. As time goes on and PCs become more powerful, we're getting closer to the ultimate wargame combination of sophisicated grand strategy/economics and detailed tactical combat. This game appears to be a step in the right direction.

The day will eventually come when WWII in all its grand strategic/economic/diplomatic complexity will be combined with a realistic operational and then tactical combat engine. Of course, the immersion-level of something like this would require one to completely sever all outside social communication and literally live in this virtual world. I won't touch the philosophical/social implications of this.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 27
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/21/2004 7:54:50 AM   
Makoto

quote:

This site wouldn't happen to share the name with a cartoon character from the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show now would it???

YES! WOOF!

This is Makoto

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 28
RE: A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire - 5/21/2004 11:05:17 AM   
NefariousKoel

It may not be Roman empire oriented, but I think I'll likely pick up Spartan when it comes out here in the US and get my fill of some turn-based empire building for a bit. I think it arrives sometime next week here.

(in reply to Makoto)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> A Game I'd Like to See: Roman Republic, Roman Empire Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI