Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Political Points System

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Political Points System Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Political Points System - 4/30/2004 5:55:46 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Omigosh! I hadn't realized PPs were not an option.

No one twisting your arm making you spend them.

Sometimes I wonder whether we need to program the players instead of the game

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 31
RE: Political Points System - 4/30/2004 6:12:33 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Talk about a product that would be YEARS IN THE MAKING. And Gary thought software
programming was a chore. The real problem would be to "open the minds" to get at
the programming. Good thought..., but probably another of those "not practical in a
real world scenario" notions.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 32
RE: Political Points System - 4/30/2004 6:51:50 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Talk about a product that would be YEARS IN THE MAKING. And Gary thought software
programming was a chore. The real problem would be to "open the minds" to get at
the programming. Good thought..., but probably another of those "not practical in a
real world scenario" notions.

You never know Mike, it might be easier to fix the players then the gaming engine

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 33
RE: Political Points System - 4/30/2004 5:32:23 PM   
byron13

I've already been programmed by my job so that I'm already an automoton. Reprogramming me would be dangerous.

While I would probably never play the game with loopy options, you never know. I may decide to see what happens when you load the Chinese army on U.S. ships and invade Japan - or move the Japanese army out of China and invade Australia just for kicks. I'm guessing I wouldn't have enough PPs to do something silly like this.

I'm all in favor of having the game be as flexible as possible. For the grognards: options to make the game as much a simulation as possible. For the others: options that allow for whimsy. But, given the choice between PPs and no PPs, I'm 100% behind PPs. That was one of the weaknesses of PacWar. "Sir, recon just discovered that Pango Pango is not defended." "Fine, colonel. Load up the First and Second Marine divisions and invade tomorrow."

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 34
RE: Political Points System - 4/30/2004 5:41:57 PM   
Bulldog61

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pascal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

The PP's as has been mentioned, are a simple but effective system to prevent players from conducting unrestricted ahistorical deployments, mostly based on "hindsight" (i.e. I know i cant win in the SRA so i do a M*A*S*H style bugout on turn 2)

they were never meant to try to simulate advanced geo-political tides during wartime

In any case this begs the question. Why can't I try ahistorical moves? About the only real chance the Japanese player has in lengthening the war is to try ahistorical moves. This goes back also to my earlier suggestion of either more ON/OFF switches for these kinds of ahistorical moves or varying the daily receipt of PP's.

You can only within limits and then there is a tradeoff. Of course you can always use the editor to develop your fantasy scenario.

You can run but you'll die tired!

(in reply to Pascal_slith)
Post #: 35
RE: Political Points System - 4/30/2004 5:55:20 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I may decide to see what happens when you load the Chinese army on U.S. ships and invade Japan - or move the Japanese army out of China and invade Australia just for kicks.

By the time you have shipping close enough to pick up Chinese troops and land them in Japan, you will have enough PP to do whatever you want

You will also find that there is really little point in loading Chinese troops as they are pretty useless. I think a US Marine corps group can probably take on 4-5 Chinese divisions at once and still not spill their beer!

As far as pulling Japanese troops out of China, you can, but that also means you will loose all the industry in China as the pesants rebel and destroy everything.

There are other factors at play other then the PP that affect what you can do.

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 36
RE: Political Points System - 4/12/2021 1:49:20 AM   
Mower

Thanks

< Message edited by Mower -- 4/12/2021 10:56:53 PM >

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Political Points System Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI