Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need playstation advice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Need playstation advice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need playstation advice - 3/3/2004 6:44:43 AM   
demonterico

I bought my 13 year old son a playstation for christmas, and now his birthday is coming up. What games do you all recommend for him? Right now he has: Grand Theft Auto, ATV2, and Crazy Taxi. I'm hoping someone can suggest a game that will peak his interest in military type games as up until now he has not shown any interest in my hobby, however I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your help, Dave

The world has never seen a more impressive demonstration of the influence of sea power upon history. Those far distant, storm-beaten ships, upon which the Grand Army never looked, stood between it and the dominion of the world. -- Alfred Thayer Mahan
Post #: 1
RE: Need playstation advice - 3/3/2004 7:00:12 AM   
Veldor

Command & Conquer Generals, Red Alert or whatever one(s) they made for Playstation. It's about the closest you will come and the easiest to get a non wargamer to play. IMHO you have to first hook someone on STRATEGY vs pure DEXTERITY. If you can get them to like that kind of game then wargamming is a smaller hop away.

If you think about the old RPG model.. STRENGTH, DEXTERITY, and INTELLIGENCE... really all games map to primarily one of them.

First Person Shooters and just about every other game are nearly purely dexterity based... while wargaming is not at all and is intelligence based.

It is then that you can see how Command & Conquer and Wargaming are alike.

But I know I'll probably get blasted for recommending it anyway...

(in reply to demonterico)
Post #: 2
RE: Need playstation advice - 3/3/2004 8:00:08 AM   
Maliki

Is this a PSOne or PS2?

If the former go for any of the MoH(Medal of Honor) games available for it,except for the above mentioned Cand C games and Warcraft there is not much of a selection.Though there is a WWII tank sim,but i can't think of the name.Space Hulk,though another first person game,also allows one to command an entire squad at the same time.

If it's PS2 then there is another dearth of games,the one i can actually think of is Ring of Red(its an actual strategy game too!).Though i have never played it i've heard good things about it.Maybe evn SOCOM Navy Seals I or II.

Heres something on Ring in case it is the newer system as i cannot adequately describe the game:http://www.game-revolution.com/games/ps2/strategy/ring_of_red.htm

I hope some of this is of use.

"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 3
RE: Need playstation advice - 3/3/2004 8:55:11 AM   
demonterico

Yes it is a PS2

The world has never seen a more impressive demonstration of the influence of sea power upon history. Those far distant, storm-beaten ships, upon which the Grand Army never looked, stood between it and the dominion of the world. -- Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 4
RE: Need playstation advice - 3/3/2004 9:30:31 AM   
Maliki

Just do yourself a favor,and save yourself some headaches,and ask the clerk at the store if any games you are buying have a blue reverse side.There is a slight issue with games with those backings which may lead to unable to read errors,unlike the silver ones.

Wish i would have known about it sooner

< Message edited by Maliki -- 3/3/2004 2:44:21 AM >

"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."

(in reply to demonterico)
Post #: 5
RE: Need playstation advice - 3/3/2004 2:52:06 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Do him a favour, give him some condoms enough money for two movie tickets dinner out and tell him to go discover something cool called women.

It not to late to save him.

If you want him interested in your hobby though, try and make it appear that he could pooooooossibly have the ability to play a wargame, make it appear like only you could understand him.

If that ploy doesn't work, I suggest not killing yourself over it hehe :)

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 6
RE: Need playstation advice - 3/3/2004 10:40:24 PM   
ravinhood

If you turn him on to RTS wargames, you will lose him forever into that oblivion that thinks they are wargamers.

The first mistake was a console to begin with. I started my son off on commodore 64 games, I had some old units in the closet, and we sat down and played TURN BASED wargames from the get go.

SSI's Gettysburg, Shilo, Antietam, Sons of Liberty, and for fantasy wargaming which I enjoyed, War of the Lance. Then came Tigers in the Snow and Knights of the Desert and Normandy Invasion.

Although my son later got into platform console games, shootemups and beatemups because his cousin had this stuff, he's always come back to strategy turn based gaming after all is said and done. He doesn't even own a console anymore. He's 22 now. One of his favorite games and mine is MASTERS OF MAGIC. But, he likes Medieval Total War as I, and Combat Mission games as I. Thank God I didn't lose him to RTS or fast action games or FPS's ;)

Consoles to me ruin any chance of getting a grognard of the old style of wargaming. You sort of get hooked on that first thing that hooks you. For example I got hooked into board wargaming at 12 when I first saw Gettysburg and played it. Oh there was lots of other games to excite a 12 year old at that time Rock em Soc em robots, Monopoly, a real football or basketball or baseball and bat...., but, it was a boardgame that sucked me in....just like your son is now sucked into console fast action games. A board game or computer turn based strategy game now will be boring to him pretty quickly.

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 3/3/2004 3:44:36 PM >

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Need playstation advice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI