Another way to add some realism

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

AmmoSgt

Another way to add some realism

Post by AmmoSgt »

One of the problem areas in the Realism issue in SPWAW is movement and firing of crew served weapons . Should machineguns move and shoot, should some arty move and shoot.
My Suggestion is to make HMG 's and 81mm mortars and similar crew served weapons a movement of one , and add hand carts that move at foot movement speed .. Given the turn lenght of " a few minutes" it seems reasonable and realistic to me that a crew served weapon could be manhandled . pretty much ready to fire 1 hex , be it a Vickers gun or a 8cm Mortar or a Browning 50 cal. However to move with the infantry in real life such items usually had some form of handcart, this is especially common in Airborne Units. Handcarts could be set to move 6 or 7 hexes ands be set to pay terrain penalties like horsecarts or whatever suitable "vehicle" best represents thier off road performance. This would allow crew served weapons to move on foot with dismounted Infantry , would indicate a un-setup weapon, would suffer the no move no/ shoot upon unloading situation, and yet allow weaspons to be manhandled into the next hex and still fire. I have seen pictures or documentation of such handcarts being used to transport German 37mm Paks, US m1917A1's , even US 75mm Pack/ German geibergs cannone in a 6 handcart load , handcart cassions for ammo ect.
just a thought .
"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

AmmoSgt wrote:One of the problem areas in the Realism issue in SPWAW is movement and firing of crew served weapons . Should machineguns move and shoot, should some arty move and shoot.
My Suggestion is to make HMG 's and 81mm mortars and similar crew served weapons a movement of one , and add hand carts that move at foot movement speed .. Given the turn lenght of " a few minutes" it seems reasonable and realistic to me that a crew served weapon could be manhandled . pretty much ready to fire 1 hex , be it a Vickers gun or a 8cm Mortar or a Browning 50 cal. However to move with the infantry in real life such items usually had some form of handcart, this is especially common in Airborne Units. Handcarts could be set to move 6 or 7 hexes ands be set to pay terrain penalties like horsecarts or whatever suitable "vehicle" best represents thier off road performance. This would allow crew served weapons to move on foot with dismounted Infantry , would indicate a un-setup weapon, would suffer the no move no/ shoot upon unloading situation, and yet allow weaspons to be manhandled into the next hex and still fire. I have seen pictures or documentation of such handcarts being used to transport German 37mm Paks, US m1917A1's , even US 75mm Pack/ German geibergs cannone in a 6 handcart load , handcart cassions for ammo ect.
just a thought .
The handcart idea works for me, and I think the move/shoot problem was addressed (a little) in 8.0
What, me worry?
mogami

move /shoot

Post by mogami »

Hi, OK what have I been doing wrong? I've never been able to move a MG or mortar and fire it the same turn.

(I am able to fire and move, provided I do not fire too many shots. But I'm not able to move and then still fire.)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

You can in H2Hfr, if you play that.

Goblin
KG Erwin

I've wondered about that, too...

Post by KG Erwin »

Especially with the USMC MGs. In 8.0 all USMC crew-served weapons are armed with Thompsons as secondary armament, which is good. Using MGs in an advance mission is tricky. The bad guys will always target your MG crews, and keeping them back in an overfire position is not always possible in jungle terrain. However, playing against the AI, this would make the unbalanced play situations only weighted more for the human, and that we do not need. The AI in this game needs all the advantages it can get. For the standard version of SPWaW, I'd be against adding the handcarts. For the H2H version, which is intended for PBEM and H2H, then I'd be all for it.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Mogami wrote:Hi, OK what have I been doing wrong? I've never been able to move a MG or mortar and fire it the same turn.

(I am able to fire and move, provided I do not fire too many shots. But I'm not able to move and then still fire.)
The way I understand it (and I've not tested it yet) is that LMG's can move one hex and still fire. Not the HMG's, and not mortars.
What, me worry?
KG Erwin

LMGs within squads...

Post by KG Erwin »

will fire after movement. This is where German infantry units have an advantage over other nations. Now, if you decided to put an HMG or MMG as a secondary weapon within a squad? I don't know. Logically, it could be a workaround, or a serious cheat. It could also be a good way of totally screwing up the AI purchase routines, if you play that way (as I do). If someone wants to try it, go ahead. I'd prefer not to go messing with my OOBs too much.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”