Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hubert what's next?

 
View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> RE: Hubert what's next? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/18/2022 6:16:59 AM   
Raptor341

 

Posts: 62
Joined: 6/17/2018
Status: offline

quote:

ORIGINAL: archmache

Well for starters I think we should get an expansion pack for the current SC games.

1) Fix naval warfare
2) Fix supply (supply needs be totally revamped in my opinion!)
3) Differentiate Unit combat (i.e. army should function different than recon besides just stronger unit values)
4) Fix map interactions (for example Stalingrad and Leningrad should really be 4 hexes and you should need to take all 4 to "take the city" - same thing with NA supply should be determined based on "sea control" somehow with # and strength of naval units etc to mimic supply. Additionally operational zones need to be added to prevent moving stuff from east to west in one turn. Also need to add localized moral so that if you take or retake a city it effects units with x hexes to mimic routs and tactical victories or whatever. This is a real gripe I have that the Russian front is so big yet it does not feel tactical at all .. its just three lines to the big 3 cities. Something like Kursk battles have never showed up in my MP games.)

I think SC is good - so good that it is in fact the only video game I play but it really needs to get overhauled b/c as I play it more instead of getting deeper into the game and learning more Strats I just start to see gimmicks etc.

For 1) Naval Warfare
- if they fixed this they could release an official WiP game for $50 or whatever and people would buy it. Then port those good naval changes to the rest of the game.

/rant over


These issues +1. Operational moves need to be limited based on rail/road/air logistics availability, not on a set cost per unit. Being able to move a whole army from one front to another in a single turn is just insane, and really can be gamed. As well, oil (fuel) and manpower need to be tracked. With just a bit more depth the SC series could be so much more than it is now - in my opinion the only thing holding the series back is that it is lacking some realism in these areas that can lead to issues.

(in reply to archmache)
Post #: 31
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/18/2022 11:58:00 AM   
nnason


Posts: 495
Joined: 3/4/2016
From: Washington DC Metro Area
Status: offline
I am a wargamer who started back in the early 1960's with Avalon Hill Tactics 2. I have been playing SC since SC2. I managed the SC WiE tournament for several years. In my opinion, SC WiE is one of the best if not the best strategic WWII war game. That being said there are some changes I would like to see and I would gladly pay $50 or more.
Changes I would like to see:
1. A system that makes multiplayer games easy. (i.e. more than one person per side.) You can do this now but very very clunky and easy to cheat.
2. The map scale and variable turn lengths in WiE are much better for the fluid ground warfare of the eastern front than the scale and turn length in WaW. Most of the comments over the years have favored adopting the WiE scale to WaW. The variable turn lengths do an excellent job of simulating the difficulties of winter warfare. Obviously, in the tropics and for naval warfare this is not needed. But this needs to be retained for land warfare at least for the eastern front in some manner. Perhaps a compromise, by-weekly turns with a drag factor applied based on the weather and location to movement, air ranges, and supply. For example: for MUD in the USSR a 50% reduction whereas for SNOW a 35% reduction. The games already do this but adjustments would be needed to account for eliminating the variable turns.
3. Yes we would all like to see improvements in Naval warfare. Many have commented on this and there are some good ideas and mods that could be incorporated.
4. Supply works in WiE and has been improved markedly over the years. I still have a hard time figuring out how making changes to my HQs locations will affect supply. An improvement here would be to be able to move HQs around to test the results (modeling) before having to actually move them.
5. Given the grand scale of WiE and WaW I don't think stacking is needed.
6. Other game systems work for different ages and scales. Focus on the scales (grand strategic) and age (WWII) that SC has done so well.

No matter what is done Hubert and Bill deserve a round of applause. Here Here!!!

P.S. I wish my skill at this game matched how much time I have put into playing it. 😁😁

< Message edited by nnason -- 1/18/2022 12:01:54 PM >


_____________________________

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to Raptor341)
Post #: 32
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/18/2022 12:48:25 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo


Posts: 1310
Joined: 2/6/2019
Status: offline
quote:

ORIGINAL: archmache
Out of curiosity ... do you end ever post with a new quote or poem? How do you have so many of those memoried?


Greetings archmache,

Haven't really thought about it.
From age 5, I've always used the KJV for my entire library.
Did read the Great Escape.
Loved Elvis from the first time up to this very day.
Grew up on Old Country.
Watched mostly Westerns.
Traveled for many years for work, on the road.
Rambo & Reagan, Top Gun, Wall Street, Aliens, One Eyed Jacks, Shane, Gunsmoke.

I'm Just Me,
-Legend

Down at the railroad station there's people gettin' on
Some are a goin' north some are a goin' south I'm just goin' to be gone
Some people are born to be takers others just wanna give
Some people live just to love but I just love to live
For I was just born to be exactly what you see
Nothing more or less I'm not the worst or the best
I just try to be exactly what you see today and every day I'm just me





Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 1/18/2022 1:02:41 PM >


_____________________________

Without Him, I could do nothing
Without Him, I'd surely fail
Without Him, I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

(in reply to archmache)
Post #: 33
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/18/2022 5:18:20 PM   
Illiniwek80

 

Posts: 56
Joined: 2/18/2021
Status: offline

quote:

ORIGINAL: eriador08

I must disagree in part, Elvis. I am from Europe and know some people who would love a Civil War version.


Americans killing each other. What's not to like?
Personally, I would KILL to see a good American Revolution strategic game. There is one in the works, but I'm not convinced it isn't vaporware.

(in reply to eriador08)
Post #: 34
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/18/2022 8:12:10 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo


Posts: 1310
Joined: 2/6/2019
Status: offline
I'd be interested in a 'Rapture to Return' game. Game starts out with ~5% of population lifting away. Leaving 95% to behind. Two sides are Gog, Magog, kings of East, and Anti-Christ. Battle on the Temple Mount of course, is limited in first 3.5 years. Nations will be driven by the False Prophet or the other side 144,000 true Kingdom Zionists. Conventional weapons mixed with swords, and shields. All kinds of things flying around, stinging. Map shrinks throughout.




(in reply to Illiniwek80)
Post #: 35
RE: Hubert what's next? - 1/18/2022 9:35:13 PM   
OldCrowBalthazor


Posts: 1084
Joined: 7/2/2020
From: Republic of Cascadia
Status: offline

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

I'd be interested in a 'Rapture to Return' game. Game starts out with ~5% of population lifting away. Leaving 95% to behind. Two sides are Gog, Magog, kings of East, and Anti-Christ. Battle on the Temple Mount of course, is limited in first 3.5 years. Nations will be driven by the False Prophet or the other side 144,000 true Kingdom Zionists. Conventional weapons mixed with swords, and shields. All kinds of things flying around, stinging. Map shrinks throughout.





Well this is definitely a high fantasy sword and sorcery scenario with steampunk and science fiction added!
Perhaps the Mahabharata epic could be included on the list too. Creatures of Light and Darkness contending on a global stage...whats better than that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmHDhAohJlQ

I know what side I want to play.




Attachment (1)

_____________________________


(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> RE: Hubert what's next? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:





New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts


Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI

0.180