Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about in-game Motorization types

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Question about in-game Motorization types Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about in-game Motorization types - 11/16/2021 7:33:42 AM   
DeletedUser44

Unfortunately, WiTE2 has suffered from some unit nomenclature issues, where units are not always historically labeled correctly. Part of this comes from liberal translations from the original records.

For example, consider how the term "motorisiert" was originally used, but not consistently carried forward....

In regards to motorization, on the German side, initially, the Infantry Inspectorate designated its units as as:

* Infanterie-Division (motorisiert);
* Infanterie-Regiment (motorisiert);
* Infanterie-Bataillon (motorisiert);
* Schützen-Kompanie (motorisiert);
* and so on....

(other German units used the same naming convention, where "Motorized" was actually applied as a suffix)

You never really had a German unit named the "60th Motorized Division", but "60th Infantry Division (mot)" or "60. Infanterie-Division (mot)" was much more accurate.

----

Well WiTE2, being the rebel they are, has avoided any discernible naming convention and is rather inconsistent on how they construct unit names.

So you have:

* the "3rd Motorized Division", which is really the "3rd Infantry Division (mot)"; and,
* the "271st Mot. Army Flak Battalion", which is really the "271st Army Flak Battalion (mot)" or more precisely, "Heeres-Flakartillerie-Abteilung (motorisiert) 271"; and,
* the "44th Pioneer Battalion" which is really the "44th Pioneer Battalion (mot)".

But wait, their is no "Mot" or "Motorized" tag in the unit name. ???

----

As it turns out, there where 23 Pioneer Battalions that where fully motorized and another 35 "teilmotorisiert" or semi-motorized. But in WiTE2, this info is all obscured as, unlike the other units, no "mot" tag was used in their unit names. *sigh*

So what is the big deal, so they forgot to "motorize" some units?

Not exactly... even though both sets of Pioneers are all missing any indication of their true motorization natures, they are actually implemented differently in the game data. ??? what?

Some are coded as "NON-MOTORIZED", where as others are coded as "MOTORIZED" in their unit data. And then, when you check the corresponding TOE(OB) used for both units, (ID 395 in this case), you will see "Motorization: Supply Only" entered.

----

(and finally, to the real question...)

Well, what the heck is "Motorization: Supply Only"? vs "Motorization: none" vs "non-inf" vs "all" vs "Rail" in the unit game data?

< Message edited by Sauron_II -- 11/16/2021 7:38:51 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Question about in-game Motorization types - 11/16/2021 8:41:57 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sauron_II

(and finally, to the real question...)

Well, what the heck is "Motorization: Supply Only"? vs "Motorization: none" vs "non-inf" vs "all" vs "Rail" in the unit game data?

well fortunately that is answered in the manual section 21.1:

it also affects particularly the various types of AA units in the game

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by loki100 -- 11/16/2021 8:42:47 AM >

(in reply to DeletedUser44)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about in-game Motorization types - 11/16/2021 9:50:18 AM   
EddyBear81

I agree with the naming issues. Especially for the Pioneer units : some are motorised, some not, and there is no way in the name to make the difference.

But it's important to make a difference. For example, if you attach the "wrong" type to a Panzer Division, trucks are taken from the pool.

Im my on-going game, I sorted out manually (from the "VehN" column) and attached the "motorised" pioneers to Panzer Armies/Korps to isolate them from the "general" population of Pioneer units and attach only the motorised ones to motorised combat units.

Phew.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Question about in-game Motorization types Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI