Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

LGB, Buddy lasing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> LGB, Buddy lasing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LGB, Buddy lasing - 10/30/2021 4:59:10 AM   
Swant

Even if a target is beeing buddy lased the attacking aircraft will dive down under the cloudcover and ignore set attack altitude.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Swant -- 10/30/2021 5:00:28 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: LGB, Buddy lasing - 10/30/2021 9:41:27 PM   
c3k

Doesn't the LGB need to "catch" the laser before being released? So, it'd need to be below the weather. (Or, are talking a dual-mode guidance? GPS to a "capture basket" (below the weather) where it will catch the lase?)

(in reply to Swant)
Post #: 2
RE: LGB, Buddy lasing - 10/30/2021 9:58:57 PM   
thewood1

This is by memory of a previous inquiry...some laser guidance heads can lock on after launch. I think they are designated as such. At one time, the reaction for those that needed lock on before launch was to do nothing. But then players were confused why the AI wasn't smart enough to drop themselves below the clouds to launch. But thats from memory and it can be faulty.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to c3k)
Post #: 3
RE: LGB, Buddy lasing - 10/30/2021 10:09:49 PM   
thewood1

I checked in the db. Most LGBs are "Illuminate at launch". But there are a few modern LGBs like the Israeli Lizard 4 that are "Terminal Illumination".

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 4
RE: LGB, Buddy lasing - 10/31/2021 3:13:49 AM   
Swant

Good point, but it is the same issue with LGBs that has "terminal illumination" like the Paveway 3

What happens is that the attacking aircraft will drop before it can see the target because there is another laser source, it will then unnecessary dive down under the cloud cover, presumably trying to use its own targeting pod

I made a mistake making the the example save and I used a Paveway 2 that needs "Illuminate at launch". Curiously it will still still drop the bomb above the cloud cover witch it probably shouldn't

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> LGB, Buddy lasing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI