Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Accidental Use of Rail Mode

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tech Support >> Accidental Use of Rail Mode Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Accidental Use of Rail Mode - 10/24/2021 1:13:55 PM   
potski

I often begin a turn by checking arrivals, moving these, bringing units from reserve to the map, doing any strategic movement by rail from one part of the map to another, repairing rail, creating depots etc. All the "admin" tasks before concentrating on combat units. I noticed that if I enter Rail mode to move say a new division from near Berlin then go to a Rail Repair unit, it treats the Rail Repair unit as if it on a train, and you can't move it forward to the next hex to continue repair of course. But the problem is if you then click back into normal movement mode it seems to treat the Rail Repair unit as just having been unloaded from a train, even when it never actually went anywhere by train. And so all of its movement points/rail repair capacity disappears for that turn.

It's possible that this bug occurs with other units when you have Rail mode enabled and select them, then change to normal movement. I haven't tested that. But that is not so annoying as losing the ability to carry out the very scarce rail repair capacity, when you are trying to get freight forward in the early stages of the game (advancing as Axis).

I thought something like this might have happened a previous turn when I came across a Rail Repair unit which appeared to be loaded onto a train and I had to "unload" it. When it happened again, IO thought I was going crazy as I was sure it had not been on a train the previous turn. I went back to the Save game and checked that it definitely was not loaded onto a train and then realised that it was because I had had Rail mode enabled from the strategic movements when I selected the rail unit. No unit should be counted as loaded onto a train just by entering the rail mode, nor even when rail mode is enabled and no rail movement actually takes place. Because this clearly does not account for accidentally entering rail mode, or accidentally selecting a unit when in rail mode.

Edit: This definitely occurs with other units too. As soon as you have a unit selected in Rail mode and click anywhere on the map, even in a hex which has no rail (which is what happened with the Rail Repair) you hear audio of a train, and the unit is then locked into rail movement even though it hasn't gone anywhere by train. When you then choose normal movement mode a combat unit is treated as being unloaded (it passes the Strategic Movement Points test because it hasn't used any of the 200 it gets) and can typically still move, but has only a fraction of its MP left. Which is probably why it hasn't been noticed before. The impact is much greater if you are genuinely moving units by rail and the very next unit you select is Rail Repair. Fair enough if you did actually want to strategically move a Rail unit by rail to another part of the map, but not when you just want to advance to the next hex along a track.

Since there is no explicit Load on to train button, but an implicit load by being in Rail movement mode and actually moving, then that should check that the unit really did move somewhere, ie. that at least some of the SMPs were used up. If you are still at 200 SMPs then you should be able to change to normal movement mode with no penalty and your full MPs available.
Post #: 1
RE: Accidental Use of Rail Mode - 10/25/2021 7:52:28 PM   
Joel Billings

I can duplicate this with units that are on a rail. Whenever you try to move a unit when in rail mode it will auto entrain and is part of the design (even if the unit doesn't move any . If you catch this before you move any other units, you can undo it by pressing the u key.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to potski)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tech Support >> Accidental Use of Rail Mode Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI