Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ability to air lift HQs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Feature Suggestions >> Ability to air lift HQs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ability to air lift HQs - 10/22/2021 4:22:35 PM   
Beethoven1

Ideally, it seems like it should be possible to airlift HQs out of pockets - in particular to airlift the generals to stop them from getting killed in the pocket.

You can airlift combat units, so why not HQs? IIRC there were some generals that did in fact evacuate by air out of pockets. IIRC this included either Boldin or Yeremenko at some point early in 1941 around Smolensk/Bryansk/somewhere (been a while since I read it)?
Post #: 1
RE: Ability to air lift HQs - 10/22/2021 5:30:20 PM   
Beethoven1

Relatedly, it seems like you can't evacuate multi-role units which are set as on-map units. It would be nice if it were possible to use air transport with those as well.

(in reply to Beethoven1)
Post #: 2
RE: Ability to air lift HQs - 10/26/2021 10:01:54 PM   
K62

+1 Paulus was airlifted into the pocket in November 1942.

"Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak"
John Adams

(in reply to Beethoven1)
Post #: 3
RE: Ability to air lift HQs - 10/27/2021 2:47:32 PM   
Fraggo5

A General maybe, small light aircraft can pretty much land anywhere with a robust enough undercarriage .
Logistically impossible I would say to airlift a divisional HQ. The aircraft available at the time just could not do it ,especially if you include sensitive documents and equipment the HQ unit would have it's not as if they have C5's and large runways !
So how many JU52's for example to lift the HQ personnel?
Well 12 to 13 paratroopers or 18 air landing troops , I'll take 1st panzer HQ as example 19635 personnel so that going to be 1090 flights if you packed 18 people in but I'm sure you could carry a few more in an emergency but even if we were to carry 24 per flight that still going to be 820 flights.
It would also need time to get the ju52's in a position to airlift then your going to need fighter cover, a suitable area to land, troops to protect that area, it just isn't going to work .
Not sure of the capability on the Russian side but I would suspect it is similar

(in reply to K62)
Post #: 4
RE: Ability to air lift HQs - 10/28/2021 4:24:19 PM   
GibsonPete

You can only airlift non-motorized units.

“Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.”

(in reply to Fraggo5)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Feature Suggestions >> Ability to air lift HQs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI