T-34 rate of Fire

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

DesertedFox

T-34 rate of Fire

Post by DesertedFox »

The usual German medium and heavy tanks throughout the war have a RoF of 3, that's fine and the KV-1 (crew of 5) has a RoF of 2, fine.

However, the T-34 with a crew of 4 has a RoF of 5. This to me seems to be quite incorrect. It should be 2 along with its counterpart, the KV-1.

T-34
Ergonomics
The T-34/76, like many other contemporary tanks, had a two-man turret crew arrangement. This required the tank commander to aim and fire the gun while having to coordinate with other tanks and potentially also being a platoon commander, and proved to be inferior to the three-man (commander, gunner, and loader) turret crews of German Panzer III and Panzer IV tanks, which allowed the tank's commander to concentrate solely on that job.

The loader also had a difficult job due to the lack of a turret basket (a rotating floor that moves as the turret turns); the same fault was present on all German tanks prior to the Panzer IV. The floor under the T-34's turret was made up of ammunition stored in small metal boxes, covered by a rubber mat. There were nine ready rounds of ammunition stowed in racks on the sides of the fighting compartment. Once these initial nine rounds had been used, the crew had to pull additional ammunition out of the floor boxes, leaving the floor littered with open bins and matting and reducing their performance.[

The problems created by the cramped T-34/76 turret, known before the war, were to be fully corrected with the addition of a three-man turret on the T-34-85 in 1944.

The Germans also noted the T-34 was very slow to find and engage targets, while their own tanks could typically get off three rounds for every one fired by the T-34.[

cameron88

RE: T-34 rate of Fire

Post by cameron88 »

Yes much of the Soviet tanks have unrealistic values, from armor, to fire rate, to accuracy. I went over abit of this in my thread - https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.a ... ey=� However the newest patch seems to have improved the ground combat ratios for tank combat, but the unrealistic ROF, accuracy, and armor for certain soviet tanks still exists.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Hmmm
T-34 m41: 13 rof main gun -5 rof for installation = net rof of 8
KV-1 m41: 15 rof main gun -3 rof for installation = net rof of 12
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
DesertedFox

Post by DesertedFox »

Thx Dennis, I was reading that -5 as the RoF.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Denniss
Hmmm
T-34 m41: 13 rof main gun -5 rof for installation = net rof of 8
KV-1 m41: 15 rof main gun -3 rof for installation = net rof of 12

Yes, it's important to understand what the stats actually mean and how they are used.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

I believe commanders report still has it wrong as it shows unmodified RoF for vehicles like T-34 etc
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

If you can provide a screenshot of the value that is showing incorrectly, I can get that on the bug list. I just went to the CR equipment list and looked at these AFVs and they seem to be showing the net ROF in the weapon section, while the number in the top appears to be the weapons straight ROF. Since the lower section shows all weapons, it should show the net value there. Do you think the top number for the main weapon should be showing a different value, and if so what value (all other items are raw values for the main weapon). This all seems ok to me. Am I missing something?
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”