Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Practical Help for the USSR?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Practical Help for the USSR? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Practical Help for the USSR? - 10/14/2021 5:16:22 PM   
petedalby

Concerns are being raised about the relative ease in which a good Axis player can take out the USSR.

So what steps can be taken by the Allied player to help keep the USSR in the game?

Here are some actions which I believe raise Soviet morale. Please feel free to correct any misunderstanding on my part and / or add any others.

USSR morale is raised when 3 or more Allied units land in Sicily or Italy.
USSR morale is raised when 3 or more Allied units land in France.
USSR morale is raised when 3 or more Allied units land in Germany.
USSR morale is raised when Konigsberg is taken.

The Arctic Convoys are vital to Russia. Too many Allied players seem to ignore this threat.

Any other thoughts?

Post #: 1
RE: Practical Help for the USSR? - 10/14/2021 5:39:21 PM   
DavidDailey

Any competent Axis player begins the invasion in Jan. 1941 (earlier if not hamstrung by ELO provisos), blows through the Reds with panzers and Stukas. There are no natural defense positions in central Russia and engineering fortifications placed there are enveloped. Three unit suicide raids for morale boosting, and attempts to save the convoys which must be protected from New York to Vladivostok are easily countered. When the Americans attempt a desperate invasion in 1942 the Germans operate enough units back to blow them away and then operate back to finish off the Reds. Meanwhile. China has fallen and the Japanese are rampaging through India, Australia and the Pacific. And all the while your Axis opponent is egging you on to keep playing because your just one magical move away from turning things around.

(in reply to petedalby)
Post #: 2
RE: Practical Help for the USSR? - 10/14/2021 5:53:53 PM   
redrum68

Probably depends what you think is the biggest issue income or NM? IMO, income and time is the main problem not as much NM. USSR usually just runs out of units since it doesn't have enough income to replace them as fast as the Axis can kill them. Given that defending the convoys, trying to maximize mobilization, and defending your high income areas are I think your main priorities. Trying to bump up NM can help a bit but probably not as critical.

(in reply to petedalby)
Post #: 3
RE: Practical Help for the USSR? - 10/14/2021 6:08:28 PM   
Taifun

quote:

Any competent Axis player begins the invasion in Jan. 1941

It is not that easy to attack so early. So far I have never seen anybody attack that early, though I think Fafnir did it once... Taking Warsaw gives the Soviets 10000 points of moral...

La clé est l'état d'esprit

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 4
RE: Practical Help for the USSR? - 10/14/2021 7:13:50 PM   
Marcinos1985

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taifun

quote:

Any competent Axis player begins the invasion in Jan. 1941

It is not that easy to attack so early. So far I have never seen anybody attack that early, though I think Fafnir did it once... Taking Warsaw gives the Soviets 10000 points of moral...

Then you must be incompetent Taifun.

On a more serious note, in 01.1941 GER may not yet have tanks lvl 2 or IW2, or not enough units are upgraded. What is more, attacking in frozen weather probably won't provide easy gains. Units bought after france fall may not be ready in time too. But who knows, Germany is bit overtuned, they may pull it off.

Going back to original question - UK has to be pain in the ass, also (or maybe - especially) in time up to Barbarossa. Letting GER steadily build up and prepare is a solid recipe for hot 1941&42, without happy end probably. So harrass them, be annoying. Your CV's, esp lvl 2, are great asset, you may bomb mines with them, and they are effective vs planes. Try to damage GER directly and make them spend MPP's, don't focus on sideshows like IEA etc. and don't wait to become unstoppable force.

There are also some specific moves yopu should make, but sometimes it's better to keep know for real games.

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 5
RE: Practical Help for the USSR? - 10/15/2021 1:09:41 PM   
EarlyDoors

A couple of big pro-USSR changes in the latest patch

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5088616

- The effect of Soviet Winter on Axis units has been increased from a unit morale loss of 40-75% to 80-100%, and losses will now vary between 1 and 3 per unit, rather than 0-2 (ThunderLizard2; Taifun).

- The USSR now receives 4 Armies rather than 2 as Siberian reinforcements (Marcinos1985).

16-16 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------
http://scwaw-rankings.s3-website.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com

(in reply to Marcinos1985)
Post #: 6
RE: Practical Help for the USSR? - 10/15/2021 3:28:24 PM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: EarlyDoors

- The effect of Soviet Winter on Axis units has been increased from a unit morale loss of 40-75% to 80-100%, and losses will now vary between 1 and 3 per unit, rather than 0-2 (ThunderLizard2; Taifun).

- The USSR now receives 4 Armies rather than 2 as Siberian reinforcements (Marcinos1985).

Now...this is 'Practical'....

These also!

Amended the Soviet Heavy Tank spawn location near Ulan Ude so it doesn’t deploy in the mountain (Marcinos1985).

USSR scorched earth settings for Settlement, Town and Fortified Town changed from 30-70% to 60-80% (LoneRunner).

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 10/15/2021 3:43:41 PM >

(in reply to EarlyDoors)
Post #: 7
RE: Practical Help for the USSR? - 10/15/2021 5:46:35 PM   
LoneRunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: EarlyDoors

Now...this is 'Practical'....

These also!

Amended the Soviet Heavy Tank spawn location near Ulan Ude so it doesn’t deploy in the mountain (Marcinos1985).

USSR scorched earth settings for Settlement, Town and Fortified Town changed from 30-70% to 60-80% (LoneRunner).

Wow, thanks Hubert and Bill. I'm so impressed that the developers of WaW listen and respond to player comments. Just amazing.

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Practical Help for the USSR? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI