Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Building units as Axis

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Building units as Axis Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Building units as Axis - 10/14/2021 5:15:10 PM   
Teo41_ITA

Hi everyone! :)

Is it possible to mod via editor the ability to create on-map units for the Axis the same way it is done for the Soviet Union?

Thanks! :)
Post #: 1
RE: Building units as Axis - 10/14/2021 7:19:28 PM   
GibsonPete

By using the editor to edit generic data you can create new units and TOEs prior to start of turn 01. This will change your generic data so save your original data file prior to attempting this. It is a bit tricky and I warn you not to do it unless you are confident with the editor. If you do not save the modified data in a backup folder it may disappear when you patch the game. In addition I would urge you not to do not do this if you are playing against a human... on second thought, waiting for the editor manual to arrive would be safest.

(in reply to Teo41_ITA)
Post #: 2
RE: Building units as Axis - 10/14/2021 8:32:49 PM   
Teo41_ITA

Thanks for your comment! I have already used the editor to fix the German OOB for the 1941 GC (several units present on-map were actually scheduled to arrive by July 4th, hence turn 2). Naturally, this is classified as an "unofficial" modification, and I will just use it for my ambitious GC against the AI :)

But yes, I am looking forward to avidly read the editor manual when it will arrive :)

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 3
RE: Building units as Axis - 10/14/2021 9:28:52 PM   
Karri

Adding/modifying units does not change generic data, these are scenario specific.

(in reply to Teo41_ITA)
Post #: 4
RE: Building units as Axis - 10/14/2021 10:24:55 PM   
Teo41_ITA

My question was more related to transfer the ability of the Soviet player to raise on-map units from scratch to the Axis one

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 5
RE: Building units as Axis - 10/15/2021 2:23:17 AM   
AlbertN

I suspect that is some hardcoded business that cannot be added to the game as function.

Via the Editor you could add barebone units that your production must fill up eventually but I do not believe the Editor will allow to just add Axis ground units.

It is a function I need quite healthy for the game, if one has admin points and production to spare - why not. But I suspect the Soviets can have flexibility to sort the units that are the best (like handpicking the Arty SU with the best ToE / type of gun), avoiding what requires truck (I've read it somewhere), and have all these optimizing type of business.
The Axis if wanting some extra Pionere trained battallions or a handful of extra RAD battallions... impossible.

(in reply to Teo41_ITA)
Post #: 6
RE: Building units as Axis - 10/15/2021 2:37:22 AM   
GibsonPete

AlbertN is correct. Producing Axis units the way the Soviets do is not possible.

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 7
RE: Building units as Axis - 10/15/2021 5:23:57 AM   
jlbhung

I made a test by amending some German ToE(OB)s to buildable, entered the build limits and available dates. The amended ToE(OB)s could be seen in the build unit menu. However, the game did not respond to any build order. It seems that this feature (i.e. Axis cannot build units) is hardcoded.

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 8
RE: Building units as Axis - 10/15/2021 5:12:22 PM   
Teo41_ITA

Thank you everyone (especially jlbhung!). In retrospective, I agree that for the Axis being able to "build/train/spawn" R.A.D. battalions could break the logistics.

I agree that things should stay the way they are now, for the sake of historical plausibility and balance

(in reply to jlbhung)
Post #: 9
RE: Building units as Axis - 10/15/2021 6:50:18 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Teo41_ITA

Thank you everyone (especially jlbhung!). In retrospective, I agree that for the Axis being able to "build/train/spawn" R.A.D. battalions could break the logistics.

I agree that things should stay the way they are now, for the sake of historical plausibility and balance

The Axis get free replacement of destroyed units the entire game. You have to fill them out, but they're there. Besides, OKH did not create new units. (This came up in WiTE-1)

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Teo41_ITA)
Post #: 10
RE: Building units as Axis - 10/15/2021 6:52:15 PM   
kahta

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlbertN

Via the Editor you could add barebone units that your production must fill up eventually but I do not believe the Editor will allow to just add Axis ground units.

This would probably be the easiest way to do what you are describing. I would suggest holding off any great level of effort into this until planned changes to the editor are published.

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Building units as Axis Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI