From: Hex 82,170
Given this game is still being actively played I thought I would do an update of the map that came with the game. There are no major changes for this update, just a few very minor corrections and a few similarly minor updates and additions, with none of them of game-altering significance.
This work came about as an offshoot to ongoing tweaks I have been making to my own WiTP-AE map, which I have also been back-porting to my extended map. I am still working on an updated version of the extended map, but once I have finished that I will make it available here as well. The map art for the extended map is done, but I still need to update the map data. I am also doing something I resisted doing for ages, which is to use map updates for later changes to the transport system that occurred during the Pacific conflict, such as the construction of the Alcan highway, the Burma railway, and the Ledo Road. My updated extended map will come with those date-based map updates as well. These can be swapped into an ongoing game at the appropriate time.
While the extended map is not yet finished, I can make the updated 'stock' map available, so here it is. There are two versions of this updated stock map:
- A standard version with the default style hexes
- A 'World in Flames' style version, with small hex dots used instead of hex borders for all 'ocean' hexes.
In addition a separate version of the 'stock' map data file is available that also includes stacking limits, as added by the 'Da Babes' scenario developers.
The changes are as follows:
- The terrain art in hexes 80,13, 81,14 and 81,15 changed from Clear to Forest+Rough so that the map art matches the existing map data.
- The main road between hexes 94,163 and 91,161 (Gwydir Highway) in Northern NSW has been corrected.
- Some of the terrain in Northern Australia has been changed to increase map accuracy and reduce the large expanses of clear terrain:
- Hexes 72,127 and 72,128 changed to Rough
- Hexes 73,127 and 74,127 changed to Rough
- Hex 70,129 changed to Rough
- Hexes 77,127, 77,128 and 78,128 changed to Rough
- Hexes 78,127, 79,127, 79,128 and 81,128 changed to Jungle+Rough
- Hexes 81,135, 81,136, 82,136 and 81,137 changed to Rough
- Hexes 83,141, 83,142 and 83,143 changed to Rough
- Hex 76,128 (Katherine) changed to Cultivated
- Hex 86,147 (Winton) changed to Cultivated
- Hexes 91,146 and 91,149 changed to Cultivated
- The map text for the base ‘Anking’ shifted a little so that the road underneath it is not obscured.
- Ocean hex 71,67, in the South China Sea, has been changed from deep ocean to shallow ocean. This is the location of the Paracel Islands (which were occupied by the Japanese during the war). I have not placed an island in this hex, however, as there will not be a matching base in the official scenarios.
- The map data for the Skeene River between Prince Rupert and Terrace now matches the map art.
- The map data for the road from Prince George (hex 204,40) to Terrace (hex 200,41) now matches the map art (primary road all of the way).
- The one hex long stub of road leading north from Fort St. John in Canada (hex 203,34) has been removed. This was part of the ALCAN Highway which was not constructed until after the start of the Pacific War.
- The roads to the hex locations of the Canadian towns of Hay River (hex 201,24) and Yellowknife (hex 199,21) have been removed. Apparently these were ‘winter roads’ and construction of proper roads only started at the end of WW2.
- Most of the roads between Edmonton (hex 210,35) and Fort St. John (hex 203,34) have been downgraded from Primary to Secondary roads.
- The hexsides of hex 211,22 have been modified to match the map art (changed W and SW hexsides to Land).
- The island of Kalao in the DEI (66,110) has had its map data corrected so that amphibious assaults of the hex are now allowed.
- Hex 84,110 has been changed from a land hex to a coastal hex to match the map art.
Thanks to the following Matrix Games forum members for pointing out some of these fixes/changes:
Note: Several forum members pointed out errors in the base names printed on the map. I have not corrected these for this version of the map (the ‘official’ map) so that the map continues to match the official scenarios. I have included the base name changes on a new version of my ‘extended’ map.
Another note: Many of these changes are in Canada and are most unlikely to affect play in any way whatsoever. I came across most of these corrections while working on an alternative ‘extended’ map variant that includes the ALCAN Highway, and is intended to be used from late 1942 onwards.
Update 2021-11-14: I have uploaded a newer version of this map update, which now includes a fix for the island of Kalao, allowing it to be amphibiously invaded.
The updated map is available at this website:
War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition: Updated Official Map
< Message edited by Andrew Brown -- 11/14/2021 4:20:32 AM >