ORIGINAL: Michael T
What exactly are the PBEM improvements? Because a casual look at the process in the updated manual looks pretty much the same as it was in 2007.
I was hoping/expecting the use a of a PBEM Server that would automatically handle/manage a PBEM game.
Really the PBEM system still looks crazy complex, and prone to error, unless I am missing something....
Mostly bug fixes over the past few years:
- Single skip for PBEM reinforcement and naval phases not working - resolved (new pop-up message only prompts player to verify skips without automatically setting a single skip).
- Siege battles causing human pbem players to be swapped with AI - resolved.
- Spanish guerrilla attacks causing human pbem players to be swapped with AI - resolved.
- Diplomacy Phase messages – resolved.
- Awaiting battle results pop up message is confusing – resolved.
- Clearing PBEM Battle Folder – resolved.
- Add prompts for PBEM phase skips if no reinforcements arriving or no naval forces – resolved.
- Game bug with path and opening files related to loading PBEM gamestart file - resolved.
- Player view mode bug in PBEM - resolved.
- PBEM Admin Menu bug setting wars with minors - resolved.
- Show money given from myself to other powers – resolved.
- In-game editor does not allow removal of leaders - resolved.
The loan money bug was a big one to find and fix. The PBEM Admin menu bugs and phase skips were problematic and they're now fixed. So, yeah, no real improvements per se that required updating the manual or the process. It's just that now it all works as intended. I will say there is still a nagging bug (occasionally now) where a human player gets swapped with the AI. Still trying to track that down but it's elusive.
Regarding a PBEM server, Maple Leaf has been running PBEM games off the groups.io server. When set up for a game, it sends out a message to players when a file is uploaded with a comment as to who plays next, that player downloads commin files and plays his turn, and then uploads his commout files. I was active in one game for a while and thought it worked fine. Maybe we can get more info out about groups.io so others can try it. It's not fully automatic, as players still need to manually upload and download zipped files, etc.
Empires in Arms Development Team