Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New player SU setup, and air set-up

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> New player SU setup, and air set-up Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New player SU setup, and air set-up - 9/5/2021 5:42:37 PM   
VesaAwesaka

I'm a new player and plan on starting a new 41 campaign om easy.

First question. Is there any simple support unit template for infantry corps and panzer corps that I could use? From my understanding, if i put HQs at a SU of 3 it will try to get 3 of every SU. Is there any simple but sub optimal strategy to assigning SUs? In my head I'm imagining assigning like 2 artillery, 2 anti air, and 2 construction to each infantry corp. How would I go about doing this? If people have better suggestions that are easy to use I'm also open to it.

Second question. For the air war I feel comfortable setting my own air directives on the first turn to get results slightly better than the AI but I find it extremely tedious. I still don't really understand the air war when it AI managed. Do I need to adjust the doctrine each turn and then the AI will set directives based on my doctrine? Is there anyway i can totally set it and forget it?

I know these questions get asked a lot but i haven't seen any answers really framed as an easy new player set up.
Post #: 1
RE: New player SU setup, and air set-up - 9/5/2021 6:06:34 PM   
overkill01

I'm far from an expert but I change and micromanage SU's as I need them, and I keep some in reserve for when you need them.

I'f you're besieging you're gonne need super heavy arty for example.

If an army or corp is not doing a lot of fighting I reassign it's SU's if I think I can use them elsewhere

(in reply to VesaAwesaka)
Post #: 2
RE: New player SU setup, and air set-up - 9/5/2021 6:28:22 PM   
VesaAwesaka

What SU level do you set your armies and corps to. Do you bring everything up to the army level or higher and then assign them out?

< Message edited by VesaAwesaka -- 9/5/2021 7:11:49 PM >

(in reply to overkill01)
Post #: 3
RE: New player SU setup, and air set-up - 9/6/2021 3:32:03 PM   
overkill01

quote:

ORIGINAL: VesaAwesaka

What SU level do you set your armies and corps to. Do you bring everything up to the army level or higher and then assign them out?

It really depends, there isn't a straight forward answer i'm afraid.

Give you're panzerarmies and their corps lots of SU's, and distribute the rest on other armies where you'll need them most.
For panzerarmycorps I set it at 4 and the panzerarmy at 3.

In the end I just tend to micromanage a lot.

Also keep an eye out on where you put you're construction battalions.
In a corps for example they will only work 6 hexes away to repair stuff, in OKH they go all over the place.
But you may want them in corps or div's to build fortifications.

I'd be interested to hear more opinions on the matter

< Message edited by overkill01 -- 9/6/2021 3:37:40 PM >

(in reply to VesaAwesaka)
Post #: 4
RE: New player SU setup, and air set-up - 9/8/2021 12:41:42 AM   
PeteJC

I think a common template for German infantry Corps is 3 Artillery, 1 Mixed Flak, 1 light flak and one pioneer. Those that you know are going into heavier fighting may get more artillery. If possible I like to put teh Stug SP artillery as one of the three artillery as they do give some anti tank capability also don't forget that teh Mixed Flak has 88s in them so excellent anti tank there as well for your infantry corps.

Make sure your flamme panzer and siege mortars are down with the units taht will be storming Odessa in teh early campaign (i.e. XXX Corps of 11th Army).

I also like to get all those rail repair units attached to an army where I want rail repair focus. Unfortunately, I don't think they can attach at teh corps level or I would do that in key areas. I would not leave them up at AG or OKH. AI tends to waste them in out of teh way spots at teh higher levels.

(in reply to overkill01)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> New player SU setup, and air set-up Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI