Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

House Rule: PP for crossing Borders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> House Rule: PP for crossing Borders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/2/2021 7:17:13 AM   
Tanaka

Does this include Japanese forces in Korea?

Or does this mainly mean Thai and Kwantung forces?

Post #: 1
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/2/2021 7:37:23 AM   
geofflambert

In my view it's more of a rule rule. Restricted units are not supposed to cross borders so just don't do it, or buy them out. That means Kwangtun army units should not enter China. They should be free to march into the Soviet Union if you wish. Units restricted to China should stay out of Manchukuo or Burma. You need the Thai troops to garrison Thailand. That's all they're good for. I don't remember if they're actually restricted though. I think historically they may have participated in invading Malaya and Burma. There's about a Corps worth of Chinese Army (Allied) that is unrestricted and did enter Burma historically. US troops restricted to the States should be free to invade Mexico, though.

Currently fighting for the Emperor against AW1Steve. As of 8/21 it is 8/45.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 2
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/2/2021 9:21:19 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

In my view it's more of a rule rule. Restricted units are not supposed to cross borders so just don't do it, or buy them out. That means Kwangtun army units should not enter China. They should be free to march into the Soviet Union if you wish. Units restricted to China should stay out of Manchukuo or Burma. You need the Thai troops to garrison Thailand. That's all they're good for. I don't remember if they're actually restricted though. I think historically they may have participated in invading Malaya and Burma. There's about a Corps worth of Chinese Army (Allied) that is unrestricted and did enter Burma historically. US troops restricted to the States should be free to invade Mexico, though.

In my last game we modified the rules to within 2 hex of the border. There's a number of locations in and around Burma mainly were stopping at the border is tsctically stupid and and no well lead army would. That said moving outside that limit with any restricted unit is a no, no unless you pay PPs to do so.

Thai units are restricted. I treat all N American territory as one area, can't imagine the USA or Canada not sending units to help allies if invaded, after all that's why they are restricted, to protect the home land.

Having said all that its a game and up to you.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/2/2021 11:13:01 AM   
Maallon

When in doubt, ask your opponent what he thinks about it, because in the end this is something that will affect him the most.

If you have defined this HR without further specification, when I would personally expect that this applies for all units in all theaters, no exceptions.
So if you want to define boundaries for a HR, always talk to your opponent so you are both on the same page and nobody gets negatively surprised by something he thought should not be possible.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 4
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/2/2021 12:07:38 PM   
btd64

All house rules should be agreed apon by both sides. Bottom line....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Maallon)
Post #: 5
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/2/2021 12:17:56 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

All house rules should be agreed upon by both sides. Bottom line....GP

Does your wife agree to that?

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 6
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/2/2021 12:36:22 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Absolutely....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/2/2021 4:35:27 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Absolutely....GP

Ah, so she makes he rules for the house then!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 8
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/2/2021 6:04:54 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Absolutely....GP

Ah, so she makes he rules for the house then!

Sort of. She does pay PP to cross to my side of the bed ....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/8/2021 9:05:15 AM   
Tanaka

So in general this house rule does include Japanese units in Korea yes?

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 10
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/8/2021 10:53:12 AM   
Ian R

If you agreed to no crossing borders by restricted HQ units, then yes it would stop restricted HQ IJ units leaving Korea.

I am not in favour of this house rule in general terms. If the military situation on the ground dictates, military formations do not stop on some map line (unless it's the Cambodian border or a similar neutral). It probably constrains the IJ a bit in the early going in the CBI theatre, but they have to buy things to move to the Pacific theatre over water anyway. The Red Army will eventually roll over them in Manchuria one way or the other (if the game is still going) with or without artificial restrictions.

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 11
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/8/2021 7:58:11 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

If you agreed to no crossing borders by restricted HQ units, then yes it would stop restricted HQ IJ units leaving Korea.

I am not in favour of this house rule in general terms. If the military situation on the ground dictates, military formations do not stop on some map line (unless it's the Cambodian border or a similar neutral). It probably constrains the IJ a bit in the early going in the CBI theatre, but they have to buy things to move to the Pacific theatre over water anyway. The Red Army will eventually roll over them in Manchuria one way or the other (if the game is still going) with or without artificial restrictions.

Gotcha thanks. Ah yes the Russians. At what date do they invade?

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 12
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/8/2021 9:27:21 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

Usual;y on the 8th of August, 1945. Unless the Japanese drop off some rotten sushi before then . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 13
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/9/2021 3:00:05 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

It's not the date they invade, it's the date you invade them. And get it done before all that stuff starts showing up on your borders in June of 45.

Currently fighting for the Emperor against AW1Steve. As of 8/21 it is 8/45.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 14
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/9/2021 6:02:09 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

quote:

It's not the date they invade, it's the date you invade them. And get it done before all that stuff starts showing up on your borders in June of 45.

Oh wow you actually invade them? Tell me more haha...

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 15
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/9/2021 10:39:16 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

I make an effort to abide by the spirit of this common HR, but only to a degree.

I will not send Chinese units to Burma without buying them out first.

I will not pay to buy out Chinese units and will move permanently restricted Chinese units into Vietnam and Manchuria as a state of war exists with those two 'nations'.

I can testify that the AI not only does not abide by this HR, it doesn't even abide by the requirement to maintain a set garrison level in Manchuria.

As soon as the Chinese threaten the bases near the Manchurian border the entire garrison flood into China, where it promptly stalls, gets surrounded and ground out of existence. In most of my games once the Chinese are ready to roll into Manchuria, there is nothing left there to defend it.

Hans

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 16
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/9/2021 11:11:50 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

I make an effort to abide by the spirit of this common HR, but only to a degree.

I will not send Chinese units to Burma without buying them out first.

I will not pay to buy out Chinese units and will move permanently restricted Chinese units into Vietnam and Manchuria as a state of war exists with those two 'nations'.

I can testify that the AI not only does not abide by this HR, it doesn't even abide by the requirement to maintain a set garrison level in Manchuria.

As soon as the Chinese threaten the bases near the Manchurian border the entire garrison flood into China, where it promptly stalls, gets surrounded and ground out of existence. In most of my games once the Chinese are ready to roll into Manchuria, there is nothing left there to defend it.

And the 6th Guards Tank Army motors all the way to Pusan ("Fusin") and the ROK base complex is prepared to house the 8th AF and Tiger Force assault on Japanese refineries, followed by light industry and eventually heavy industry to shut down all production.

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 17
RE: House Rule: PP for crossing Borders - 9/9/2021 1:44:24 PM   
RangerJoe

Someone did invade the USSR in 1942 . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> House Rule: PP for crossing Borders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI