Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Draining Old Depots?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Draining Old Depots? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Draining Old Depots? - 8/30/2021 10:24:57 PM   
cfulbright

Once I move on from Sicily, Corsica, and Sardinia, and also leave behind the North African air bases, I have some depots with large stockpiles of freight - often 100K or even 200K of freight, even 30 turns after I set the depots to 0 priority. Is there any way to get these depots to drain their freight? And if not, is there any downside to disbanding a depot with all that freight that's sitting idle?

As a frugal person, it goes against my instincts to disband depots that have a lot of unused freight.

Cary
Post #: 1
RE: Draining Old Depots? - 8/31/2021 8:00:25 AM   
loki100

I think the problem is that to start to move freight draws off the local port or railyard capacity. So it arrives say using the ports in N Africa but it can only leave using the local ports.

If you disband, most is lost but some goes to the pool.

Being from a calvinist background, I share your distaste for waste

edit: I also suspect (but can't prove) that the shipping is allocated first for the NSS exporting ports then to any secondary demands, so that also limit the scope to clear out say Sardinia.

< Message edited by loki100 -- 8/31/2021 8:01:55 AM >

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 2
RE: Draining Old Depots? - 8/31/2021 11:14:54 PM   
cfulbright

Roger - so are you saying I should just rip off the bandage and disband all those depots, including the ones on the Italian mainland but way behind the lines like Reggio Calabria or Crotone?

Cary

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Draining Old Depots? - 9/1/2021 7:23:33 AM   
Denniss

Just leave them at zero priority and ignore them. No need to take action, either freight gets moved out or not.

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 4
RE: Draining Old Depots? - 9/1/2021 3:15:50 PM   
cfulbright

Dennis,

In some cases there are hundreds of trucks still assigned to rear depots with 0 priority.

Cary

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 5
RE: Draining Old Depots? - 9/1/2021 6:29:05 PM   
Denniss

Ouch, depending on truck needs it may indeed be useful to disband them. I hope this works better in WitE2 and may be ported back to WitW

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 6
RE: Draining Old Depots? - 9/2/2021 10:03:20 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: cfulbright

Roger - so are you saying I should just rip off the bandage and disband all those depots, including the ones on the Italian mainland but way behind the lines like Reggio Calabria or Crotone?

Cary

as with Denniss' comment, I'd leave them. The issue for the allies is not the existence of supply its the delivery to the front lines where you need it. So makes no practical difference if its stuck on Sardinia or N Africa?

but your secondary pt re trucks is valid, the trucks are prob of far more use than the freight.

This is a lot better in WiTE2 where the trucks get moved off if a depot has freight but no demand

Roger

< Message edited by loki100 -- 9/2/2021 10:04:50 AM >

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Draining Old Depots? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI