Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Play by email only scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Play by email only scenarios Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Play by email only scenarios - 8/30/2021 10:14:16 AM   
Hoplite1963

Hi Guys
One of the great strengths of the JTCS / CS games engine has always been how user friendly the OOB map and scenario editors are.

While I entirely appreciate why the new AI engine has been developed and look forward to testing myself against it, on the face of it this might act as something of a deterrent to owners of the game getting going on designing their own scenarios.

As a way round this I wonder if (at some point down the line) it would be possible to set things up for this series so that a scenario would be set up (perhaps via a tick box) for “play by email only” so that the need to get involved in AI scripting would be avoided ?

I am sure that in many cases having gained confidence, scenario designers would go back and add an in AI scripting to their scenarios, but having the option to cut your teeth at CS scenario design process for the CS series games from CSME onwards without having to learn the AI side of things at the start could perhaps help get more people into CS series scenario design more quickly ?

Kind regards
Ian
Post #: 1
RE: Play by email only scenarios - 8/30/2021 3:16:08 PM   
Jason Petho

A scenario can still be designed the traditional way if you are just playing it against a Human.

There is nothing stopping one from doing that at all.

The only thing that will be missing is the many possibilities that one has with making the scenario more interesting without the scripting. This might even encourage one to learn how to do some of the basic scripting, so that points are gained for accomplishing certain missions.

There are quite a few PBEM scenarios included with Vietnam, but in addition, one side of those scenarios have been scripted for those that do not have the time or desire for PBEM.

Jason Petho

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 8/30/2021 3:26:46 PM >

(in reply to Hoplite1963)
Post #: 2
RE: Play by email only scenarios - 8/30/2021 3:42:25 PM   
Hoplite1963

Hi Jason
Thanks for the quick reply. This is good to know. Really looking forward to this one.

Kind regards
Ian

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: Play by email only scenarios - 8/30/2021 5:04:42 PM   
Jason Petho

You're most welcome

I'm happy to answer any questions, of course.

(in reply to Hoplite1963)
Post #: 4
RE: Play by email only scenarios - 9/2/2021 6:56:42 AM   
Crossroads

CS: Vietnam will be fully stocked with Map, OoB, and Scenario editors per our usual standards, too, to confirm.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Play by email only scenarios Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI