Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about system requirements for the largest games.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Question about system requirements for the largest games. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about system requirements for the largest games. - 8/20/2021 9:00:40 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

So the recommended specs look fairly light but is that for a max size game with all 2000 stars and a couple of dozen empires?

What specs will ensure smooth play with those settings? I should be fine with my current system but curious in general.
Post #: 1
RE: Question about system requirements for the largest ... - 8/22/2021 1:09:15 PM   
Canute0

At the top of the forum you will see a link
Distant Worlds 2 Product Page
Use that, then scroll down abit and click at Requirements.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about system requirements for the largest ... - 8/22/2021 2:23:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

We'll be updating the final specs before release based on our testing and final optimizations.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about system requirements for the largest ... - 8/22/2021 5:49:43 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Cool. Thanks for replying Erik.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canute0

At the top of the forum you will see a link
Distant Worlds 2 Product Page
Use that, then scroll down abit and click at Requirements.

Already looked at them which is why I was asking if the recommended are good enough to play the game maxed out with all the bells and whistles and largest map options with comfortable performance.

Many games recommended are not for maximum performance on max settings but the bar you need to pass to get acceptable performance with most features set to high at 1080p.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about system requirements for the largest ... - 8/23/2021 7:19:26 PM   
Galaxy227

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

Already looked at them which is why I was asking if the recommended are good enough to play the game maxed out with all the bells and whistles and largest map options with comfortable performance.

Many games recommended are not for maximum performance on max settings but the bar you need to pass to get acceptable performance with most features set to high at 1080p.

Generally companies refrain from setting their specifications the way you've suggested because it only limits their sales. Also, as a customer I'd rather not have the recommended specifications be "maximum performance on maximum settings" anyway...

For instance, let's say DW2's recommended specs DO follow your suggestion—they're now benchmarked in relation to the performance of a 2000-star galaxy. "Joe" has a 1060, Ryzen 7 2700, 16 GB of RAM. Unfortunately for Joe, their website tells him he need a 2060, Ryzen 5 3600, and 32 GB of RAM to run the game smoothly. Suddenly he's lead to believe in order to experience good graphics in DW2 at any comfortable framerate, he need good hardware. Little does he know the benchmark was relative to 2000-star performance, and that his current PC is more than capable of running most galaxy sizes below the absolute largest.

See how this is bad? Joe is now deterred from purchasing DW2, even though he was capable of enjoying good graphics on every galaxy size but the largest.

Recommended has never been treated as a maximum and rightfully shouldn't. Recommended is what positions you to comfortably play the game at mediocre settings. If you really want to know what 2000-star galaxies require, ask around after launch and see what others say.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 8/23/2021 7:42:42 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Question about system requirements for the largest ... - 8/23/2021 7:24:17 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

I didn't suggest they change their recommended specs? I was asking what they think the requirements will be for a max size game with all the bells and whistles if the recommended specs doesn't get you there which most likely won't? Again I'm not particularly worried as I have a heavily overclocked 10600k with 1080 ti and 32 gigs ram. If thats not enough for a maxed out game dunno then. Was simply curious.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about system requirements for the largest ... - 8/23/2021 7:29:24 PM   
Galaxy227

quote:

I inferred the above statement as you suggesting the market should have recommended specifications be relative to "maximum performance on max settings." Forgive me if I overreached.

quote:

I'm not particularly worried as I have a heavily overclocked 10600k with 1080 ti and 32 gigs ram. If thats not enough for a maxed out game dunno then. Was simply curious.

And yes, so long as DW2 is optimized as well as Erik has boasted it is, I also feel comfortable with my R5 3600X, 2060 Super, and 64 GB of RAM.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 8/23/2021 7:32:38 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Question about system requirements for the largest ... - 8/23/2021 8:12:11 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227

I inferred the above statement as you suggesting the market should have recommended specifications be relative to "maximum performance on max settings." Forgive me if I overreached.

No worries. But as to the market in general being more honest overall yeah I think there is a bit of room for improvement.

These are the recommended for gal civ 3.

Galactic Civilizations III Recommended Requirements
CPU: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor or Equivalent
CPU SPEED: Info
RAM: 6 GB
VIDEO CARD: 1 GB DirectX 10.1 Video Card
PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
SOUND CARD: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
FREE DISK SPACE: 15 GB
DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 1024 MB

Yet this is misleading because to play maps bigger than medium you need 8 gigs and for the largest maps 16 gigs or they will either not load or perform very poorly.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 8
RE: Question about system requirements for the largest ... - 8/25/2021 4:57:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

I expect at this point that the recommended requirements will increase before release, but I don't yet know for certain because final optimizations remain to be done.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 9
RE: Question about system requirements for the largest ... - 8/25/2021 8:58:55 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Thank you again for replying. I suppose one way or another I will find out when I get my hands on a copy.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Question about system requirements for the largest games. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI