Thanks for all the comments everyone, it's great to see the discussion that has followed my original post.
The most significant argument against changing it seems to be that the Allies will need some sweeteners to help make up for this in terms of game balance, which is fair enough.
If anyone has any other thoughts on this, one way or the other, please do let us know.
Wait why does everyone think this will hurt the allies only? As Japan LR Transport is my greatest weapon! Allies need more sweeteners? What?? This hurts Axis just as much...We are talking about the entire Pacific War!
I hardly use cruise mode as Japan when invading - initial attacks are all set-piece so no need.
I vote 'No', this is the wrong fix to the game.
My desire, is the best simulation, BUT allows a 50/50 chance of winning the game. Game needs to have many "what IFs" and options for the player.
Trying to emulate reality, with a 2-week turns is not easy at this strategic level. Being turn based (My Turn / Your Turn) it's not exactly easy to keep the game fun. I would try Naval & Air Intercepts, maybe. Maybe, not sure. Whoever wants to change this behavior, I guarantee they "got stung" in a few games, no garrison or not guarding their keys cities. How about you defend your property? I've played this game alot, because of the world situation, else I wouldn't have returned to gaming. Believe me, I got "mad" alot playing. Dudes pull all kinds of stunts, it happens, I lose. I also return the favor.
1) You're gonna get some nasty slaughters of Allied Troops, by Air Power. Especially in Italy. Also, in the Pacific. Long Range invasions aren't as long as you think. This will force the Allies to only do "short" missions, cold & calculated. Yes, more realistic.
2) Realism, every aspect of the game can be argued. Sitting 2-weeks in boat, hanging out in the wind to get Air slaughter, is ugly.
3) The game will slow down, will just be one big "blob of crap" heading for Normandy & Sicily. Yeah, that's realistic. Dudes, won't be invading Northern Italy, cutting off supplies, and all the tricky stuff, but that's what makes the game.
4) Will completely ruin the Pacific Ocean, which already struggles for battles. Top talent just abandons the Pacific currently. Until that's fixed, I wouldn't change anything. Wanna talk about reality? Reality, the USA joined the war over Pearly Harbor, whether it was a set-up or not, that's what the ppl believed. 80% of the top players, do nothing as USA in the Pacific. The Russians are getting pounded. No choice.
I would be willing to considering changes, but need to know what everyone is looking for. Nobody talks about the Pacific.
Agree that any nerf to Allies should be offset with a nerf against Axis. A couple of changes:
* Make it harder to take Italy out
* Move Barbarossa spawns back
Right now PBEM is close to 50-50 which is amazing so changes need to be balanced and well planned.