Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sappers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Sappers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sappers - 8/16/2021 5:23:45 PM   
Scarz

Do the construction units (Sapper Bn, Rgt, and Bde) do anything or provide a benefit to an HQ by just being attached? For example, do they help an army dig-in quicker?

Or is the only use when assigned for depot or airfield construction?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Sappers - 8/16/2021 6:37:08 PM   
loki100

yes they add construction value to relevant hexes.

now this is actually not linear as the amount that can be applied to a hex is capped each turn and also supply can limit the construction of fortifications (so the extra capacity to dig can't be used).

Have a look at 20.2 in the manual, that covers most of this (& the things to look out for)

(in reply to Scarz)
Post #: 2
RE: Sappers - 8/18/2021 7:43:05 AM   
Yogol

The best thing is to assign construction units manually to ensure they are used in the right place.

- Put them all on OKH.
- When you want a railyard/port repaired, set it manually "priority repair". The system will assign a construction unit to the railyard/port. Once the railyard/port is fully repaired, the system will place the construction unit back to OKH.
- When you want a unit to dig in, assign a construction unit to that specific unit manually. You can spend APs on some Fortified Units or you can use some of the minors as fort builders (some are really TERRIBLE fighters).

Note that they do need (a bit of) supply.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Sappers - 8/18/2021 5:56:54 PM   
Scarz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogol

The best thing is to assign construction units manually to ensure they are used in the right place.

- Put them all on OKH.
- When you want a railyard/port repaired, set it manually "priority repair". The system will assign a construction unit to the railyard/port. Once the railyard/port is fully repaired, the system will place the construction unit back to OKH.
- When you want a unit to dig in, assign a construction unit to that specific unit manually. You can spend APs on some Fortified Units or you can use some of the minors as fort builders (some are really TERRIBLE fighters).

Note that they do need (a bit of) supply.

Thanks for the tips. As Soviet, I have been trying to use the sapper Bn's attached to the Army, to gain a benefit to all the divisions. It makes sense that the direct attachment to a division would have more benefit, but if its attached to a division, the Army would not receive the entrench bonus for that sapper, right?

Also, I have been trying to use sapper units attached to a Front (usually rgt and bde) for AF building, is that not more effective than having everything centralized with STAVKA? If it makes no difference for the speed and effectiveness for a sapper to be attached to a Front, it would be easier to keep everything with STAVKA or OKH from a pure management standpoint.

Finally, many of the AA units are stuck at various places, is there a way to get them back to STAVKA? And, does it matter if these far flung AA units are all attached to STAVKA or is it better to be attached to a nearby Front?

Thanks.

(in reply to Yogol)
Post #: 4
RE: Sappers - 8/18/2021 9:40:03 PM   
Darojax

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scarz

Thanks for the tips. As Soviet, I have been trying to use the sapper Bn's attached to the Army, to gain a benefit to all the divisions. It makes sense that the direct attachment to a division would have more benefit, but if its attached to a division, the Army would not receive the entrench bonus for that sapper, right?

If you're talking about the non-combat construction units, like the Engineer-Sapper Battalions, you cannot attach them to Rifle Divisions or any combat units. They're only HQ attachable, and in order for them to help build forts they need to be in the HQ that the map unit digging the fort is directly attached to.

quote:

Also, I have been trying to use sapper units attached to a Front (usually rgt and bde) for AF building, is that not more effective than having everything centralized with STAVKA? If it makes no difference for the speed and effectiveness for a sapper to be attached to a Front, it would be easier to keep everything with STAVKA or OKH from a pure management standpoint.

As long as STAVKA is in range of sending SUs to the construction job (90 hexes), like AF building, it's a lot easier to manage if you have the RGTs and BDEs attached directly to it. It's a long front though, and there may be situations where it is not in range, then it can be beneficial to attach to a Front HQ (which has 45 hex range), or if you want to make sure there are available Construction SUs in a particular sector. But if within range then, yes, normally, STAVKA or OKH works just fine and is easier to manage.

quote:

Finally, many of the AA units are stuck at various places, is there a way to get them back to STAVKA? And, does it matter if these far flung AA units are all attached to STAVKA or is it better to be attached to a nearby Front?

Sure, you can get the AA Regiments attached to cities back to STAVKA. Just click their name in the Commanders Report and then click the little [X] beside their name. Just be prepared that it costs 50 Admin points. No joke. Or you can build new AA Regiments for no AP cost from the Build New Units menu. Your call. : ) As far as what HQ it's better to be attached to I suppose normal HQ Command Range modifiers apply.

< Message edited by Darojax -- 8/18/2021 9:45:36 PM >

(in reply to Scarz)
Post #: 5
RE: Sappers - 8/19/2021 11:05:45 AM   
Darojax

Correction, for the purpose of constructing fort levels:

"Units can draw help from support units in any HQ up the chain of command, out to a range of 20 hexes for High Command HQs, 15 hexes for Army Group HQs, 10 hexes for Army HQs and 5 hexes for Corps HQs."

(in reply to Darojax)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Sappers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI