Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Re: Adventures In Yemen

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> Re: Adventures In Yemen Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Re: Adventures In Yemen - 8/13/2021 9:08:51 PM   
Decoemmoryanofayeo

Hats off to the creator.
I can't crack it.

First run through I tried eliminate the first enemy encounter and got bogged down, didn't even make it to the town.

2nd attempt,went proper hardcore driving right through the lot and got blown to bits nothing left.

3rd attempt tried to go south and sneak around to the town, HQ hit mines and then I got attacked from small townsland area. Every tank either eliminated or disrupted. I sacrificed all carriers after emptied troops so that the troops could get close to town... Not a hope

What a thrilling scenario, frustrating but thrilling. Not sure I'll crack this one... Not giving up though.

Tiocfaidh ár lá
Post #: 1
RE: Re: Adventures In Yemen - 8/14/2021 12:25:31 AM   
Big Ivan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Decoemmoryanofayeo

Hats off to the creator.
I can't crack it.

First run through I tried eliminate the first enemy encounter and got bogged down, didn't even make it to the town.

2nd attempt,went proper hardcore driving right through the lot and got blown to bits nothing left.

3rd attempt tried to go south and sneak around to the town, HQ hit mines and then I got attacked from small townsland area. Every tank either eliminated or disrupted. I sacrificed all carriers after emptied troops so that the troops could get close to town... Not a hope

What a thrilling scenario, frustrating but thrilling. Not sure I'll crack this one... Not giving up though.

I haven't tried this one because I usually concentrate on the higher complexity scenarios. But based on your report Declan I'm going to have to try it. It was designed by Jason Petho and he has a multitude of good scenarios out there for Campaign Series Middle East!

If you have the time try Thorn of Budapest. IMO it is a pretty solid scenario.

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.

(in reply to Decoemmoryanofayeo)
Post #: 2
RE: Re: Adventures In Yemen - 8/14/2021 9:14:10 AM   
Decoemmoryanofayeo

If I've time tonight I will give it another crack.
The defensive positions of the ai are very good, higher mountain ground or towns, you've no artillery fire or air support...
I like these quicker scenarios personally, as I'm new and still learning time plays a big part in it trying to get quicker at the game.

I will try that one next, which side are you in that one???

I played Tears in the Valley (1) last week, really enjoyed that surprised myself with a major victory as Syria ... That's where I learned to sacrifice the carrier trucks, unload the troops and drive trucks at enemy, position given away and use up their action points for the tanks to roll in knowing no opportunity or return fire

Tiocfaidh ár lá

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 3
RE: Re: Adventures In Yemen - 8/14/2021 11:02:44 AM   
Big Ivan

Good to hear you're coming along nicely with learning the game. I've been playing the Campaign Series a long time, in fact since it's inception in the late 1990's. Its a great system once you get to know the in's and out's.

Thorn of Budapest I've played from both sides in a mirror tournament. However, since your just starting out, play it from the Egyptian side first. Most of it takes place at night but daylight does come on later. As the Egyptian player you have to capture the Budapest position and slow down the Israeli relief force coming on board during the game. Egyptian commando units have special capabilities so I suggest you read up on that in the manual and the unit handbook.

Good luck and happy gaming!!

John

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.

Post #: 4
RE: Re: Adventures In Yemen - 8/14/2021 1:03:53 PM   
Schlonz

quote:

... That's where I learned to sacrifice the carrier trucks, unload the troops and drive trucks at enemy, position given away and use up their action points for the tanks to roll in knowing no opportunity or return fire

IMHO, you better forget what you've just learned :-)
When playing a campaign game, loosing your transport will leave your infantry immobilized in the next battle,
at least if the transport is an integral part of your force.
In a H2H game, some players consider such tactics as 'cheezy' and/or adjust their op fire accordingly.
Last but not least, using your transport as cannon fodder provides easy VP's to your opponent.

Post #: 5
RE: Re: Adventures In Yemen - 8/15/2021 8:43:23 PM   
Decoemmoryanofayeo

I took on board the advice about using vehicle as cannon fodder... Thank you, what a difference that makes!!!
Managed to scramble a minor victory
They assaulted the northern VP on last turn so lost it.

One of the above strategy that I mentioned is the winning ticket, just has to be executed perfectly.

Great scenario

Tiocfaidh ár lá

(in reply to Schlonz)
Post #: 6
RE: Re: Adventures In Yemen - 8/18/2021 8:03:13 AM   
fritzfarlig

many of Jason's scenarios in CSME are hidden gems, really well executed, really looking forward to Vietnam

Post #: 7
RE: Re: Adventures In Yemen - 8/18/2021 6:04:39 PM   
Jason Petho

Thank you, guys!

They will be even better once I update them to 3.00 standards.

Just wait until the Vietnam scenarios, they will be terrifying, frustrating and piles of fun all at the same time!

(in reply to fritzfarlig)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> Re: Adventures In Yemen Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI