Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this possible?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Is this possible? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this possible? - 7/31/2021 3:41:38 PM   
Germanshep

Hi all,
I have Warplan Europe and just bought WITE2 a month or so back. I have played wargames for quite a few years. I really like WITE and WITW along with the Decisive wargame series. My question is about Warplan Pacific. Playing the Japanese side is it possible to attack and defeat the US? Is it possible given the large population of Japan to land ground troops in the US defeating the US.

I know in reality the US easily out produced Japan and built a huge fleet of carriers to win the war. With the right handicap levels for the allies is it possible the Empire of Japan could defeat the allies and conquer both the US and the Uk? In the newest release of WITE2 its almost impossible for Germany to win and there is no way to conquer the US given the map only covers Germany and the USSR. I am looking for something with a bit more scope than both Warplan Europe and WITE2 while not being as complex and time consuming as Admirals Edition is now.

Thanks for any help and thoughts on this Gentlemen

Post #: 1
RE: Is this possible? - 7/31/2021 6:14:57 PM   
stjeand

Is is possible yes...
Is is likely no.

The Japanese have to take Hawaii to supply the East coast along with a few other islands.
As soon as they invade Hawaii the US will know something is up and start producing more land units. Also if the Axis actually land in the US the East Coast sends about a half dozen corps to defeat the Japanese.

BUT YES you can invade and prepatches you could cripple the US pretty badly and almost take them out.

After the patch you can still invade but it is much more difficult which is how it should be.

I suspect you might be able to do it against the AI...I would think it would be impossible vs a human.

(in reply to Germanshep)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this possible? - 7/31/2021 9:11:55 PM   
Germanshep

Thank you stjeand,
I am a bit interested in the what if scenarios. I also want the results to be possible. My research if correct shows Japan with a population of roughly 304 million people. The US had 150 million. Germany 86 million. Given that the Japanese had a large modern navy for its time period I thought maybe if they could get their troops on US soil they could seriously hurt the allies. I also know Japan did not have the manufacturing capacity the US had at that time.

I like playing scenarios like WITE2 which are locked into a single theatre of war but also like being able to control the whole resources of a nation. I would like to try to take Hawaii and then invade the west coast of the US. I know resources and oil are a problem for Japan. Many players want an east and west front combination game centered on Germany like WITE and WITW combined.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 3
RE: Is this possible? - 7/31/2021 9:46:26 PM   
eskuche

Japan's population was about 70 million in the 1940's from a quick google search.
Taking aside anything logistics, if the estimated US military casualties from an invasion of the home islands was 1 million, and you reversed the numbers, the casualties from a Japanese invasion of the US would be larger than their army size.

(in reply to Germanshep)
Post #: 4
RE: Is this possible? - 7/31/2021 10:13:07 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: eskuche

Japan's population was about 70 million in the 1940's from a quick google search.
Taking aside anything logistics, if the estimated US military casualties from an invasion of the home islands was 1 million, and you reversed the numbers, the casualties from a Japanese invasion of the US would be larger than their army size.

But as a starter they did take Attu and Kiska islands with no causalities.

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 5
RE: Is this possible? - 7/31/2021 11:39:55 PM   
Germanshep

My bad, I dont know where I got such a large number for Japanese population. I believe the other numbers are about right. I searched again for Japanese army size and found the number of 1.7 million men set in 51 divisions. The German army had close to 3 million men set for the Eastern front including allies. It would seem the Japanese army universally refused to surrender and it was considered shameful to do so or retreat.

So it would appear invading a country with twice the population would be impossible without much advanced weapons than was available.

Myself, I really dont like to win games based on point values. I like to either win or lose the total war yet some of these games dont allow this as in WITE2 the campaign is limited to the eastern front. That being said as I have Warplan Europe I might as well try Warplan Pacific.

Thank you all for the insights and opinions

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 6
RE: Is this possible? - 8/1/2021 5:27:12 AM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: Germanshep

In the newest release of WITE2 its almost impossible for Germany to win

Really?

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to Germanshep)
Post #: 7
RE: Is this possible? - 8/1/2021 1:41:52 PM   
Germanshep

WITE seems easier to me than WITE2. When I set the values at challenging vs the AI I never win. I also never take any of the primary objectives of Leningrad, Moscow or Stalingrad. I try my best but I always lose at those levels.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 8
RE: Is this possible? - 8/2/2021 4:02:33 PM   
ncc1701e

Interesting, an AI that is winning. I am tempted. Maybe later.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to Germanshep)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Is this possible? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI