Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Full GC SP Play?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Full GC SP Play? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Full GC SP Play? - 7/30/2021 7:36:45 PM   
MarkShot

As some of my may know, I was a core member of PG's dev team for many years.

I recently raised the GG games as a non-development topic. Most own the games and are impressed. But must play shorter scenarios or start the GCs, but don't finish.

What would one expect of grogs?

I was always the odd guy out:

A software engineer, non-historian, non-grog, non-veteran.

I am just curious. How many here play the GCs through to conclusion?

(I include WITM too in my query.)

Thanks.

< Message edited by MarkShot -- 7/30/2021 7:38:30 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Full GC SP Play? - 7/30/2021 9:14:52 PM   
thedoctorking

I played WitE1 a whole lot for a couple of years. I was in probably about 10 campaign games. The farthest I got was 1944; the Axis were really on their back feet at that point. I played a game of WitP to conclusion back in the 1990s. I've seen AAR's of WitE and WitE2 campaigns played right to the end.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 2
RE: Full GC SP Play? - 7/30/2021 9:28:06 PM   
Commanderski

I've been playing WITE1 since it came out and then Alpha/Beta testing WITE2 so that is around 11 years or so. Played mostly GC's and never finished a campaign... Either I decided to change my strategy or a patch/update would come out and I wanted to use the new changes. I'm hoping to actually finish the campaign I'm currently on now.

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 3
RE: Full GC SP Play? - 7/30/2021 11:14:25 PM   
Joel Billings

Proving once again that's it's not the destination but the journey that's most important.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 4
RE: Full GC SP Play? - 7/31/2021 12:08:46 PM   
oldMarinePanzer

My history is intricate I would say. I am a software engineer and a veteran, made it to Sergeant in the USMC and platoon leader in the army, mechanized infantry. I probably have 100-200 books about WWII. I started by playing Panzer General, Pacific General and also Panzer General II. I made saved game editors for all of them, might have been the first to do so. I really learned the code (parameters) details of the game, all self taught. I also played Steel Panthers I & II & III. I played WitE1 to completion at least 10-20 times, I loved to once again edit the parameters so that every campaign was different. All discovered through trial and error. With WitW I didn't get the hang of it quickly, I didn't enjoy the close confines of Europe as well as the open steppes of Russia. WitE2, I am addicted, I LOVE the game, I can guarantee I will play to campaign end 10-20 times within 12 months, I will buy every expansion and I will continue to bother Joel Billings for the TOTAL editor availability :-)

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 5
RE: Full GC SP Play? - 7/31/2021 12:09:58 PM   
TallBlondJohn

I've had WITE for years but only done a couple of GCs. You don't just sit down and decide to play a GC, even solo. Its a project you plan as it will consume your life for months! And it has to be played to the bitter end, that's the law.

Only in death does duty end.

Post #: 6
RE: Full GC SP Play? - 7/31/2021 12:24:23 PM   
MarkShot

I was the one who said if you want to play the GC at MSG=7 & AIR/MAX, then you must start in your 20s if you hope to finish.

Howdy OldMarine,

Nice to run across another Software Engineer. Whenever, I post code samples on this forum to do stuff for the game, people treat me like I am writing Latin!

I usually write game code in:

www.autohotkey.com

(in reply to TallBlondJohn)
Post #: 7
RE: Full GC SP Play? - 7/31/2021 1:32:45 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Proving once again that's it's not the destination but the journey that's most important.

This is so true But if the journey is good then I will continue to the end.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Full GC SP Play? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI