Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Weather balance suggestion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Weather balance suggestion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Weather balance suggestion - 7/30/2021 4:28:03 PM   
eskuche

While we're all waiting for the patch (and I have no motivation to continue my AAR), a suggestion for "balancing" weather, in order of difficulty of implementation.

Allies get the (75-100% accurate) weather forecast for some or all zones in the turn report. This balances out Japanese initiative somewhat.
Could be tied to COMINT.
Bonus points if the "w" has 3 modes: hidden weather, current weather, and current -> future weather.
Post #: 1
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 7/30/2021 5:48:11 PM   
stjeand

Lots have been requesting that the Allies know the weather. Easy enough to test if someone would like to do so?

NOW keep in mind in the 40s they have NO clue of the weather 2 weeks ahead.
BUT I suppose it would be okay if it was a "guess" so they could get a message and it would be wrong. They believe rain will hit India yet it is sunny.

WISH that it could be changed on the fly...basically the Axis have the weather advantage till the end of 42, then the Allies get it.

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 2
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 7/30/2021 6:38:35 PM   
kennonlightfoot

Since the Japanese are on the wrong end of the weather pattern movement in the Pacific, the Allies really should be the first player on each turn. I wonder if there is a way to switch that and still have the Japanese move first on Dec 7 turn (no Allied move that turn).

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 3
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 7/31/2021 5:24:08 PM   
ncc1701e

I guess the best solution would be that the side having the initiative is playing first. So they know the weather first. The problem is to determine the criteria to say who has the initiative. Axis or Allies?

Since we are in the Pacific, an easy dirty solution is perhaps to count who has more CV/CVL. Maybe.

Also, I don't know if the engine is able to do this.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 4
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 7/31/2021 6:15:46 PM   
stjeand

I KNOW I saw this somewhere in the editor and now can't find it.
Stupid eyes.

I will poke around some more.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 5
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 7/31/2021 6:27:04 PM   
kennonlightfoot

An initiative switch would require some recoding of the game engine. But changing the order in the turn should be doable in the editor. What I am not sure of is if the game can handle the US player being the first player in the turn but on the first turn the the US wouldn't have its phase (starts with the second phase player - Japan).

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 6
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 8/1/2021 5:22:15 AM   
ncc1701e

Maybe for WP2 engine then...

You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Post #: 7
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 8/1/2021 1:31:55 PM   
kennonlightfoot

But there is always the problem of balance. Knowing what the weather will be in your opponent's turn is a significant advantage. While I think the US was in better position historically to "know" what the weather would be. I may give the Allies to much advantage in 43 on unless something was done to compensate the Japanese side. Then there is China where the Japanese probably had a better idea what the weather would be than the Chinese with their limited technology.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 8
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 8/31/2021 2:26:09 PM   
ncc1701e

I like the suggestion of weather forecast in the turn reports. But, there are lots of weather zone and not much room in the turn report.

Since the problem is mainly with the navy, why not concentrate on the weather zone affecting only the navy i.e. mainly 4 weather zones:
1. North Marine
2. South Marine
3. Tropical
4. South Monsoon

A line in the turn report like the following:

Weather forecast: North Marine - Rain 50%, South Marine - Snow 80%, Tropical - Clear 80%, South Monsoon - Blizzard 30%

And I would like to propose this for both sides instead of Allies only.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ncc1701e -- 8/31/2021 2:27:16 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 8/31/2021 2:32:01 PM   
AlvaroSousa

The weather zones I put in were based on real weather patterns for the region. Took me a while to research them.

Allies advantage comes in the form of COMINT.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 10
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 8/31/2021 7:53:21 PM   
ncc1701e

Great idea Alvaro, the COMINT.

Thinking of it, this is true we are in the 40s. Weather forecast is just at its beginning. But, in the war movies I am seeing, they always have a weather forecast.
Also, thinking of the planning of D-Day in Europe, weather was one of the reason to delay it a first time.

Now, imagine your HQs are concentrated on intel of your next target. I can't imagine they are not checking the weather forecast...

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 11
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 8/31/2021 7:54:20 PM   
ncc1701e

Now, I am the USA and I am worried about an attack on Midway.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 12
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 8/31/2021 7:56:33 PM   
ncc1701e

Why not spending a COMINT on Midway? Is it useful? I have plenty between USA and UK.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 13
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 8/31/2021 7:57:09 PM   
ncc1701e

On the other side, I am the Japanese and I want to attack Midway.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ncc1701e -- 8/31/2021 8:01:19 PM >

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 14
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 8/31/2021 7:57:40 PM   
ncc1701e

I am spending a COMINT too.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 15
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 8/31/2021 7:59:18 PM   
ncc1701e

Now I don't know how is performed your code and when the weather is determined.

But, why not, for both sides, introduced the weather forecast of the next turn for the area covered by the COMINT graphically.

Something like the following:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 16
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 8/31/2021 8:04:13 PM   
ncc1701e

Like this, Allies may know the weather in advance at key locations (for defending a place or attacking one). Based on COMINT, this is not each turn. And, since this is a weather forecast we can introduce a percentage of chance to tell the correct value or not. This percentage can be distinguish between Allies and Axis. Allies has more chance than Axis.

Just an idea, I should stop watching war movies...

< Message edited by ncc1701e -- 8/31/2021 8:12:08 PM >

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 17
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 9/1/2021 2:22:29 PM   
kennonlightfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa

The weather zones I put in were based on real weather patterns for the region. Took me a while to research them.

Allies advantage comes in the form of COMINT.

Could you explain just what using COMINT does?
What kind of information does it return? How accurate?
Is it just a snap shot of improved intel within the radius of where you place it and good for just the current turn?

I have used it a couple of time so far and it didn't seem to change anything about what was known in the area.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 18
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 9/1/2021 2:34:28 PM   
YueJin

Comint just raises the recon value of the hexes in the area. It's main use is locating ships at port, making them visible so they can be bombed and raising the chances of a fleet being found by attacks. Raising the recon level of a fleet also gives a better modifier to naval combat.

Post #: 19
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 9/1/2021 7:07:00 PM   
kennonlightfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: YueJin

Comint just raises the recon value of the hexes in the area. It's main use is locating ships at port, making them visible so they can be bombed and raising the chances of a fleet being found by attacks. Raising the recon level of a fleet also gives a better modifier to naval combat.

That doesn't sound all that useful. Maybe if you planned to attack the port regardless and just wanted to verify the normal intel. But they cost enough points that you can't keep enough around to actually use it to search for the enemy. Making whether it is worth having and making you have to check manually for reinforcements questionable.

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 20
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 9/1/2021 7:45:00 PM   
YueJin

It's worth keeping a bank of them to use before any naval strike or surface combat. The increased chance to find the enemy is not inconsiderable.

With the port attacks it's worth considering. Say you know the US fleet is basing out of Sydney but you can't spot them as there's no recon. You can base your carriers within 24 hexes out of vision then COMINT the port and go in for the attack. Carriers in port don't fly CAP so the results can be devastating.

The other thing is, there's literally nothing else to spend the points on. Breaking the codes and rekeying encryption are absolutely pointless if you don't have COMINT to use in the first place. All those options do it increase the chance of getting a higher recon value when you use the COMINT units. Personally I spend every intelligence point building signals units and never initiate a carrier battle/surface combat without using one.

Post #: 21
RE: Weather balance suggestion - 9/1/2021 11:09:40 PM   
Remington700

I agree with building as many as you can. I put a lot into codebreaking and am still getting "low" recon levels. This included a lot of failed attempts which hurts at 60 points a pop. It does not seem to be worth the expense - probably better to spam intelligence agents to improve targeting.

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Weather balance suggestion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI