Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What is the effect of turning off ground support?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> What is the effect of turning off ground support? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is the effect of turning off ground support? - 7/29/2021 10:06:13 PM   
thedoctorking

I thought that turning off ground support meant that none of my air units would react to a combat. But watching the AI combat phase play out, I'm seeing plenty of my planes reacting and getting shot down. I wanted to leave my planes on DN activity in order to intercept ground attack or air resupply missions behind the lines, but stay away from the front. How can I make that happen? Or do my guys just get excited regardless of what I tell them and go get themselves shot down?
Post #: 1
RE: What is the effect of turning off ground support? - 7/29/2021 10:17:46 PM   
loki100

see the manual, section 18.1.3 (ground support), explains what is committed under what circumstances

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 2
RE: What is the effect of turning off ground support? - 7/29/2021 10:39:21 PM   
thedoctorking

Interesting. So, just to clarify, the "turn off air support" button doesn't really turn off all air support, it just turns off bombers going to the combat. If you want to stop your fighters from going to battles, like, for example, if it is snowing hard and you would take 50% or more casualties from operational losses alone, you have to actually go into your air directives screen and delete all the air support directives. Alternatively, you could set your air support directive to only be active when the weather was fair or better,this is unclear. Anyway, for those of you who didn't realize why you were suffering such high casualties among your fighters in bad weather, this is what you have to do.

< Message edited by thedoctorking -- 7/30/2021 6:47:51 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: What is the effect of turning off ground support? - 7/29/2021 11:42:28 PM   
Rosencrantus

I'm pretty sure you can also just set all the fighter AOGs onto rest mode.

Post #: 4
RE: What is the effect of turning off ground support? - 7/30/2021 1:54:52 AM   
thedoctorking

Yeah, what I was hoping for was having my fighters intercept Axis air resupply missions, specifically those flying into the Stalingrad pocket, without trying to fly to ground combats. I achieved this by setting all air directives to run only in Fair weather or better, and turning ground support off with the toolbar button. In the action phase, Axis 167 planes, of which 69 were in air to air combat. They lost 76 air transport planes last turn. I lost 8 fighters in air combat and 12 to operational casualties.

< Message edited by thedoctorking -- 7/30/2021 2:34:39 AM >

(in reply to Rosencrantus)
Post #: 5
RE: What is the effect of turning off ground support? - 7/30/2021 7:33:10 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

...Pro tip, for those of you, like me, who missed that one sentence in the 800-page manual and were wondering how it was that hundreds of your fighters were dying when you thought you told them not to fly.

for those who have missed it, here's the 'one sentence' that covers how fighters interact with ground support

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: What is the effect of turning off ground support? - 7/30/2021 9:10:23 AM   
Yogol

Am I missing something? It really is only one single line that explains that planes still fly when not assigned to GS ("Fighters not assigned to this GS and with GS either on or off-low to medium response") or am I missing something?

< Message edited by Yogol -- 7/30/2021 9:45:35 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 7
RE: What is the effect of turning off ground support? - 7/30/2021 9:39:41 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogol

It really is only one single line that explains that planes still fly when not assigned to GS ("Fighters not assigned to this GS and with GS either on or off-low to medium response") or am I missing something?

aye, you are perfectly correct, my apologies

(in reply to Yogol)
Post #: 8
RE: What is the effect of turning off ground support? - 7/30/2021 9:47:50 AM   
Yogol

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogol

It really is only one single line that explains that planes still fly when not assigned to GS ("Fighters not assigned to this GS and with GS either on or off-low to medium response") or am I missing something?

aye, you are perfectly correct, my apologies

It's all good.

The game has many important features like this. But I struggled with this one in particular, so I must have read that part of the manual 8 times by now, lol.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> What is the effect of turning off ground support? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI