Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> AAR >> Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/21/2021 8:52:18 PM   
AshFall

Heya all!

Myself and my long time opponent and friend Will are at it again in this new version of SC:WWI. We'll do a classic "both perspectives" AAR, with a gentlemans agreement not to peek.

I'll do the AAR entirely in a google doc to avoid all the hassle with these forums, so just follow the link!

There will be an index over all the turns, so you can always jump to the latest one in the list.

If you comment on the AAR, please start your comment with the turn number you're referring to!

Also, please dont reveal any information from the other side if you read both!

I hope someone will get enjoyment out of our efforts, despite both of us still being noobs.

Let's get it on! :D

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q1IwORjebzsk7gVHBa7D7a53GnFQWSZP4l690LJ7huM/edit?usp=sharing
Post #: 1
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/21/2021 11:47:36 PM   
AshFall

Turn #1 is up! :)

I'm not sure what to do with the german navy, or the Austrian one. We'll see what I can come up with.

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 2
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/22/2021 8:44:39 AM   
BillRunacre

Great to see you're doing another AAR together!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 3
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/22/2021 9:11:38 AM   
AshFall

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

¨
Hey Bill!

Happy to see you're still interested in reading. :D

Been a long, long time since the first one. Must have been when the game first came out, like... ten years ago? weird.

Let's hope it's a good one!

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 4
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/22/2021 6:16:35 PM   
AshFall

Turns 2 and 3 are now up :)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q1IwORjebzsk7gVHBa7D7a53GnFQWSZP4l690LJ7huM/edit?usp=sharing

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 5
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/22/2021 10:27:18 PM   
AshFall

Turn 4 and 5 are up. :)

Any tips and ideas for Will in this situation are very welcome.

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 6
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/22/2021 11:56:15 PM   
redrum68

Well, I do think CPs focusing on Serbia/Russia initially is the best opening as the French front is too narrow and stalls quickly.

I'm surprised how fast Serbia fell and my guess is they defended too aggressively and should have ceded hexes to avoid losing their units so fast. CPs can kill Serbia eventually if they choose and the choice IMO is whether to use the units there vs using them in Russia but given how fast Serbia collapsed in this case it was definitely worth it.

In terms of what to do with Entente at this point, I'd probably try to do the following:
- Play aggressively with France trying to trade units with Germany to force them to spend more money there while also putting money into research to get trenches/artillery
- Russia needs to defend as much of its territory as possible while getting trench and industrial and only trade when they are getting better than 1 for 1 since they need to buy time for the rest of the Entente nations to join the war and pressure CPs in other areas
- Russia should also replace a few of their worst starting generals
- There are a bunch of wide open German NM cities west of Warsaw that Russia should use cavalry to snipe
- Not sure about Warsaw without seeing his situation as you want to try to hold it as long as possible but don't want to lose tons of units there either

< Message edited by redrum68 -- 7/22/2021 11:59:00 PM >

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 7
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/23/2021 9:24:50 AM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: AshFall

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

¨
Hey Bill!

Happy to see you're still interested in reading. :D

Been a long, long time since the first one. Must have been when the game first came out, like... ten years ago? weird.

Let's hope it's a good one!

Yes, it was about 10 years ago... seems like longer in some ways!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 8
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/23/2021 7:00:19 PM   
AshFall

I've talked to Will and said that he can comment here as well as long as he doesnt read the AAR doc, that way we can get a better conversation about the montenegro gambit :).

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 9
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/24/2021 2:51:11 PM   
Will952

Struggling to see the counterplay to this opening - particularly in Serbia. Germans and Austrians running roughshod down there and within 3 turns have the whole Balkans wrapped up! Not sure what else I could've done there...Desperation has led me to a DOW on Belgium to open a new front.

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 10
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/24/2021 7:26:42 PM   
Bavre

Just a small remark: cutting the rail lines to Poland north and south of the swamp is not as useful anymore! In the last patch Warsaw was given primary supply, so the Russian will not suffer supply loss.

Oh and about Serbia: as soon as you see Germans showing up in force there, just run your Serbs into the mountains near Uskub. Trying to face a huge AH+German force anywhere else ís suicide, but in the mountains they will survive until cannons come along.

< Message edited by Bavre -- 7/24/2021 7:27:42 PM >

(in reply to Will952)
Post #: 11
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/24/2021 7:30:39 PM   
AshFall

Turn 6 is up! :)

(in reply to Bavre)
Post #: 12
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/24/2021 9:38:52 PM   
AshFall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bavre

Just a small remark: cutting the rail lines to Poland north and south of the swamp is not as useful anymore! In the last patch Warsaw was given primary supply, so the Russian will not suffer supply loss.

Oh and about Serbia: as soon as you see Germans showing up in force there, just run your Serbs into the mountains near Uskub. Trying to face a huge AH+German force anywhere else ís suicide, but in the mountains they will survive until cannons come along.

Thank you! Will pointed this out to me when accomplished as well, heh, that just means I have to take Warsaw! Easy peasy right!?

(in reply to Bavre)
Post #: 13
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/25/2021 7:42:04 PM   
AshFall

Turns 7-8 are up :)

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 14
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/26/2021 3:27:49 PM   
AshFall

I actually did this in one game as the Entente against the CP using the Montenegro/Albania gambit.

The swift collapse of the Rest of Serbia brought Bulgaria in by late 1914, and even with the four full strength serbian corps entrenched in the mountains the enormous force of Germans, Austrians and newly joined Bulgarians from the east slaughtered Serbia and had it surrender before New Years eve 1914. Sad days.

In short, retreating to the mountains doesnt seem to work against this strategy.

(in reply to Bavre)
Post #: 15
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/26/2021 4:25:04 PM   
AshFall

quote:

The above was in reply to this of course. :)

(in reply to Bavre)
Post #: 16
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/26/2021 10:32:18 PM   
Bavre

quote:

I actually did this in one game as the Entente against the CP using the Montenegro/Albania gambit.

The swift collapse of the Rest of Serbia brought Bulgaria in by late 1914, and even with the four full strength serbian corps entrenched in the mountains the enormous force of Germans, Austrians and newly joined Bulgarians from the east slaughtered Serbia and had it surrender before New Years eve 1914. Sad days.

In short, retreating to the mountains doesnt seem to work against this strategy.

No, no, that's not what I meant. If the CP throws plenty of units at Serbia, they will of course die. But the longer they hold out the longer the CP units will be tied down. Plus if Serbia surrenders in winter the fallout for Russia will be considerably less severe.

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 17
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/27/2021 3:46:48 PM   
AshFall

quote:

quote:

No, no, that's not what I meant. If the CP throws plenty of units at Serbia, they will of course die. But the longer they hold out the longer the CP units will be tied down. Plus if Serbia surrenders in winter the fallout for Russia will be considerably less severe.

Ah yeah, true enough! :)

Troops railing in from Serbia during winter wont be attacking much that year, but will on the other hand be good and rearing to go in spring...

(in reply to Bavre)
Post #: 18
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/27/2021 8:14:07 PM   
Bavre

Yes, plus Serbias end has dire immediate consequences for Russia: invading Huns get another unit morale boost plus Russia looses (iirc) 2500 NM. If that hits during fair weather ...

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 19
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/30/2021 6:23:03 PM   
AshFall

Will has been busy with real life these past few days, but things are ticking along!

Turns 9 and 10 are up, and things are heating up in the west!

(in reply to Bavre)
Post #: 20
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/31/2021 4:39:36 PM   
AshFall

The fight is picking up as the western powers get serious about landscaping and turning central Europe into a lovely series of mud-pits!

Turns 11-14 are up, with Central powers hopes of early victory proving premature!

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 21
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 7/31/2021 10:36:34 PM   
AshFall

Turn 15 is up :)

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 22
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 8/2/2021 8:17:43 PM   
AshFall

We have nor played until the start of 1916, which looks to be the year of the meatgrinder and the relentless pounding of big guns! :D

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 23
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 8/5/2021 7:20:52 PM   
AshFall

Turns 21-24 are up!

The war enters a new phase, and the Germans face some grim realities after some maths on the morale front...

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 24
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 8/6/2021 7:50:55 PM   
AshFall

Turns are flying by so fast I'm missing out on counting some of them! :D

Sorry about that everyone. Nonetheless, the game is coming down to a nail-biting and dreadful all-out slugfest in the west. An old power is rising, and the kraken has surfaced to swallow the wealth of an empire.

Read on up to turn 35!

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 25
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 8/8/2021 2:16:41 PM   
AshFall

And the game is a wrap! :)

AAR updated with the end of the war.

Comments, thoughts and tips all very appreciated.

Would you all like to see another AAR in this format?

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 26
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 8/8/2021 2:32:00 PM   
Will952

Good game mate.

A very tough early game for the Entente with an early Serbian and Russian exit. Attacking through Belgium was a bit of a last throw of the dice but the benefit of France being largely left alone was a hefty economy able to field large amount of artillery and tech up quickly.

Once the Brits and French took the initiative on the attack it made for a very tricky recovery for the CP - each turn holes were opening and the arty behind was being wounded.

Tricky match, but fun - well played.

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 27
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 8/8/2021 2:37:12 PM   
AshFall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Will952

Good game mate.

A very tough early game for the Entente with an early Serbian and Russian exit. Attacking through Belgium was a bit of a last throw of the dice but the benefit of France being largely left alone was a hefty economy able to field large amount of artillery and tech up quickly.

Once the Brits and French took the initiative on the attack it made for a very tricky recovery for the CP - each turn holes were opening and the arty behind was being wounded.

Tricky match, but fun - well played.

Thanks mate! Fun game, well played!

You did really well focusing solely on the western front pretty much. Aside from rather token efforts with the British in Palestine and Mesopotamia, everything the western Entente had just bulldozed in from the west front.

Goes to show that Austria and Ottomans seem to be sideshows in some ways, doesnt matter how good their morale is 100+% or more, if Germany is beaten then that's a wrap. :)

(in reply to Will952)
Post #: 28
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 8/8/2021 2:40:31 PM   
AshFall

Copied and posted here from out post game chat. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I made a couple of key mistakes. Logistics tech (not making the connection to shell capacity until very late and leaving austria/ottomans very low there in the end) was one, but the larger ones were probably:
1. Spent too much time and troops killing the pocket in Poland, dont need that many troops or a full encirclement to do it.
2. I was way too slow shifting fronts to also pressure the west, I let you take the initiative there. Basically, once I had driven the Russians to a certain point (which should have gone faster if I hadnt dawdled) a much earlier shift west could have made the difference
3. I think it's a good idea to hit the Brit NM squares sooner, and periodically throughout the game instead of just at the end.

The only thing I really think might be something to implement, but will need more play experience first, is something to mirror this ahistorical situation.

Basically, Germany surrendered due to exhaustion (well modeled in the game) but very much also because their allies were either surrendered (ottomans) or were also beaten and exhausted, pretty much unable to keep on fighting (Austria).

In the game there is fairly little incentive to care about the Ottomans and Austrians once the war starts going badly for the Entente in those theatres.
If both the Ottomans and Austrians were strong and rearing to go, I think the Germans would have been much more resilient.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 29
RE: Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) - 8/8/2021 3:41:58 PM   
Will952

I wonder if it would be interesting to have some sort of allied strength mechanic - whereby if 1 country is below, say 25% NM, but an allied nation is still above 75%, the higher morale nation could uplift the other by some small effect each turn? Maybe for a cost? Thinking aloud.

(in reply to AshFall)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> AAR >> Ash V Will: SC2:WWI edition (CP - Ash) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI