Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Desease! Nation Stratagem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Desease! Nation Stratagem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Desease! Nation Stratagem - 7/17/2021 12:17:38 PM   
kinngrimm

After safescuming on different turns several times each,
i come to believe that the discription on this is wrong.

There is nothing random about what zone is chosen where the desease hits. It may go by the zone with the highest population count or main zone with SHQ i can't know for sure, but it is always the same zone which is chosen.

Please either change the cards discription to reflect this or take at least the wrong wording out or well make it truely random as it is supposed to be defined by the cards wording.

(i guess this could be called a bug, but i was not sure of that and also if i should put this in Tech Support or Suggestions & Feedback so here it is)
Post #: 1
RE: Desease! Nation Stratagem - 7/17/2021 12:56:41 PM   
zgrssd

Actuall code to select the Zone is:
ZONEID=che(249,7,REGIMEID)

che is a alias for chk.
So this effect is definied as:
"Random City Zone ID"
the two optional boolean switches have been omitted.

Please read up on Pseudorandom Number Generators and consider that most games perserve the state of the RNG Algorythms in the savegame, to prevent savescumming.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 7/17/2021 12:57:48 PM >

(in reply to kinngrimm)
Post #: 2
RE: Desease! Nation Stratagem - 7/17/2021 2:45:20 PM   
kinngrimm

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

Actuall code to select the Zone is:
ZONEID=che(249,7,REGIMEID)

249 and 7 ? fixed parameters? what do they stand for?
I take it within the function che() you have a list or an array of sorts which has all zone ids then saved by REGIMEID and then you use rng/randomizer on that to get one value back, right?

quote:

consider that most games perserve the state of the RNG Algorythms in the savegame, to prevent savescumming.

I did consider that, thats why i mentioned "on different turns". Additionally as there were different outcomes in terms of number of dead pops and workers, there was some randomizing going on just not in terms of what zone would be hit. I will try on several more turns to gain a more certain outcome where it comes to the chosen zone and come back to you.

edit: formating issue

< Message edited by kinngrimm -- 7/17/2021 2:48:05 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Desease! Nation Stratagem - 7/17/2021 3:52:31 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

249 and 7 ? fixed parameters? what do they stand for?
I take it within the function che() you have a list or an array of sorts which has all zone ids then saved by REGIMEID and then you use rng/randomizer on that to get one value back, right?

First number of all chk/che functions is always 249
The one for exe is always 346.
Each with exactly one exception each. No idea why this even is a parameter, but it is how it is.

7 Indentifies the specific command. 249,7 is "Random City Zone ID"
249,1 is "Skill Roll"
249,8 is "Random Binary Tech Type ID"

quote:

I did consider that, thats why i mentioned "on different turns". Additionally as there were different outcomes in terms of number of dead pops and workers, there was some randomizing going on just not in terms of what zone would be hit. I will try on several more turns to gain a more certain outcome where it comes to the chosen zone and come back to you.

A game can use multiple random number generators, even if that is usually frowned upon.
Without something querying the RNG used for this function you will always get the same result.
It is also possible the function returns a contextually invalid ID and the game just defaults to hitting the capitol in that case.

The only reliable test would be calling that function a few times in a row, outputting the results each time.

(in reply to kinngrimm)
Post #: 4
RE: Desease! Nation Stratagem - 7/17/2021 8:44:29 PM   
kinngrimm

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd
The only reliable test would be calling that function a few times in a row, outputting the results each time.

yeah well i wont do that ^^, but after a couple of turns the streak ended and i actually did get another zone. So there is that. Still if safescuming would be a concern, then one still can try to get lower results on the death roles, those change with reloading.

Thanks for your time though and walking me through.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Desease! Nation Stratagem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI