Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval Ambush

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Naval Ambush Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval Ambush - 7/12/2021 4:47:30 AM   
canuckgamer

In the manual all it says about naval ambush on page 83 is:

Ambush—If the random factor of a naval combat favors one side or another greatly, the word ambush
will appear next to the fleet to indicate they received a favorable result from chance.

Not a very detailed explanation. In our pbem game Italian subs have intercepted UK fleets with CVs a number of times and the subs have been ambushed more times then not. This makes sense to me because the planes from the CVs would be able to spot enemy naval units although you would think subs would be a little more difficult to spot.

Where does it explain the random factor in the manual?
Post #: 1
RE: Naval Ambush - 7/12/2021 1:12:14 PM   
Nirosi

quote:

Where does it explain the random factor in the manual?

With a few exceptions the maths are hidden under the hood. I do not think there is other explanation than that. It just tells you luck was against, you were surprised by the enemy and therefore had a disadvantage in combat.

There are a few things where I would like more info on the maths, but in the great majority of cases I agree with the actual design. Too much info of the maths etc. makes it a maths game and not a wargame. Personally that would make it less fun for me, but on top of that I also believe it unbalances the game by giving a huge advantage to some type of players over others. Some mystery (or unknown random in game term), like in real-life and war, can bring a better balance between play styles.

< Message edited by Nirosi -- 7/12/2021 2:54:32 PM >

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval Ambush - 7/12/2021 2:00:38 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Ambush simply means one side rolled really high on luck and the other rolled really low. Naval battles were subject to being very luck heavy.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Nirosi)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Naval Ambush Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI