Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ideas for Instigating Incidents?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Ideas for Instigating Incidents? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ideas for Instigating Incidents? - 7/9/2021 9:17:54 PM   
Marthinwurer

What are some common examples of instigating incidents for conflicts? I found a RAND paper that talked about conflict escalation management which gave me some ideas, but what are legitimate reasons to wage war or start conflicts?
Post #: 1
RE: Ideas for Instigating Incidents? - 7/10/2021 12:26:53 AM   
BeirutDude

Some ideas...

Dog fight over a critical sector drawing other units in (Golan/Lebanon, Turkey-Syria Border, PRC-Vietnam, Sea of Japan (DPRK/Japan)).

Incursion across a disputed area getting out of hand (Kargil conflict).

Denial of a critical resource such as water (Dam project).

Naval brinksmanship, miscalculation.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to Marthinwurer)
Post #: 2
RE: Ideas for Instigating Incidents? - 7/10/2021 1:54:19 AM   
stww2

To add to the list, some additional examples:

-atrocity that leads to a punitive strike against the perpetrator (ex: 2017 US strikes against Syria or El Dorado Canyon). Series of atrocities or a sufficiently grievous atrocity combined with appropriate political conditions could lead to more sustained conflict (see post-9/11 invasion of Afghanistan, the various interventions in the former Yugoslavia, or the 1999 East Timor crisis)

-political assassination that leads to retaliation against real/perceived perpetrator (ex: US-Iran conflict in January 2020 and arguably WW1*)

-development of WMD programs (see relevant Israeli strikes against Syria and Iraq)

-rebellion, coup or similar political violence that leads to instability and outside intervention (Operation Urgent Fury, 2011 Libyan intervention, Syria)

As for what constitutes "legitimate reasons to wage war or start conflicts," that's a whole other answer entirely. The extremely simplified legal version is probably Chapter VII of the UN Charter (Article 51 especially). For the philosophical answer see Just War Theory. Ultimately it's a subjective question, of course. Although if you're reading RAND reports you probably knew all of that haha.

*that's probably a rather generous characterization of Austria-Hungary's motives, but it works for this answer...

< Message edited by stww2 -- 7/10/2021 2:15:40 AM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Ideas for Instigating Incidents? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI