Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis Siege Guns replacements

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Axis Siege Guns replacements Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis Siege Guns replacements - 7/8/2021 1:35:17 PM   
AlbertN

I am not sure why Germany does not produce replacements for the siege / super heavy artilleries.

I made sure to send 4 of these units in the Axis Reserve. They arrived. Refit was placed on.

I understand there is a limit / cap to how many pieces of a specific type of piece of artillery can be produced each turn.
These guns by the looks have a parameter of 'need'. (So not sure what it does mean but it's not a number).

They're costy - given - but certainly Germany manifacturing capability can churn out a few each month if one wants no?
And supposedly something in Axis Reserve, with Refit on, has the absolute priority over anything else.

These units are at 50-60% TOE so they can get more guns to fill in the TOE.

So what am I missing?

If the answer is 'The AI produces what's deemed necessary' and then the means I've to tell the AI what it is considered necessary are wonky ... (Reserve - Refit) I think there is a bigger problem.
Post #: 1
RE: Axis Siege Guns replacements - 7/8/2021 11:58:48 PM   
Joel Billings

The heavy guns with a build limit of -1 don't get produced. You are limited to what's in the scenario at start.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis Siege Guns replacements - 7/9/2021 12:15:30 AM   
AlbertN

But isn't a paradox that if they were built previously, that cannot be built anymore?
In the end the production of armaments is -that-, to produce more of these means something else will be short... it's just mind boggling for me at least.

The Soviets can get what they want pratically over time but Axis ontop of not being able to create SU or cancel 'disband orders' no matter what's the need on the map, also has things that their factories -could- produce (as they were produced) but somehow lost the capability / skill to manifacture?

< Message edited by Cohen_slith -- 7/9/2021 12:19:33 AM >

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis Siege Guns replacements - 7/9/2021 12:56:51 AM   
Aurelian

Quick research told me that of only two 80cm railguns were ever built and only one saw combat, for example.

The Karl Gerat, 7 were built and six used.

The 42cm Gamma howitzer, only 1 survived WW1 and saw very limited use.

The 35.5 cm Haubitze, only 8 between 1939-44.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 7/9/2021 1:05:07 AM >

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis Siege Guns replacements - 7/9/2021 1:36:48 AM   
DeletedUser44

It is a shame that many of the Axis big guns and all of the German railroad artillery (over 70 pieces) is missing from WiTE2 TOE.

https://www.operationbarbarossa.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Ger-FILARM-Artillery-DB.pdf

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 5
RE: Axis Siege Guns replacements - 7/9/2021 8:38:23 AM   
rob89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sauron_II

It is a shame that many of the Axis big guns and all of the German railroad artillery (over 70 pieces) is missing from WiTE2 TOE.

https://www.operationbarbarossa.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Ger-FILARM-Artillery-DB.pdf

+1

(the same for the Soviet ones, obvoiusly)

(in reply to DeletedUser44)
Post #: 6
RE: Axis Siege Guns replacements - 7/9/2021 9:04:10 AM   
Mehring

One problem of the super heavy and railway artillery is that their use don't seem to be restricted by rail repair.

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to rob89)
Post #: 7
RE: Axis Siege Guns replacements - 7/9/2021 5:59:45 PM   
Fraggo5

These guns were pretty much obsolete and a throwback to WW1 , they were cumbersome and needed vast resources of men to even place them in a position to use them.
I'm not talking about rail guns but large cannons like the K3 of which only 14 were ever produced by Krupps an to quote from the wiki

quote:

The K 3 was a gigantic weapon that was transported in six loads. These consisted of the firing platform, the carriage, the cradle, the barrel, the breech and an electric generator.
The Wehrmacht was not content with the gun's performance: "It was felt to be wasteful of time and manpower, the transport arrangements were cumbersome and the performance was not considered to be commensurate with the size of weapon.

The 24cm Kanone M16 which was originally made by Skoda for the Austro-Hungarian forces was also similar in that it wasn't a rail gun , 6 of these were at at the siege of Leningrad and this quote shows that manufacturing new or spare parts isn't that simple as each barrel was constructed of twelve parts, notably the inner tube and various inner and outer jacket pieces and the labour intensive process by which the guns were assembled before use.
quote:

Between January and June 1942, part-way through the siege, all six guns had to be returned to Škoda for repair and retubing. This was delayed when barrel Nr. 8 ruptured on 10 December 1942 and a number of roughly-machined barrel ingots in storage since 1918 proved to be substandard. The first two guns to be refitted were shipped to the battalion on 18 July 1943, but the rest were further delayed. The next pair of guns were shipped to the front on 11 January 1945.

It took eight to twenty hours in soft soil or gravel to excavate the large firing pit required to hold the halves of the base box. Six to eight hours were required to actually assemble the gun itself. Each half of the base box was maneuvered into position on rails that ran along each side of the pit and then it was jacked up off the wagon and the wagon was then removed. Each base box half was jacked down onto wheels that ran on the guide rails and then they were bolted together. The complete base box was pulled over the pit, the wheels removed and it was jacked down into the pit. Three rails were placed on top of the base box to guide the carriage wagon into position and the carriage was jacked up while the wagon was removed and it was then jacked down and bolted to the base box. The barrel wagon was guided into place using the same rails and two block and tackles were attached to the barrel clamp. The crew pulled on the ropes and slid the barrel into the cradle. The last steps were to connect the recoil brakes' pistons to the barrel, fill and test the recoil brake and recuperator, and install the roller race. Disassembly took around six hours.

I hope this clears up for Cohen-Slith why it's not that easy to just make new ones

< Message edited by Fraggo5 -- 7/9/2021 6:01:58 PM >

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 8
RE: Axis Siege Guns replacements - 7/9/2021 8:18:15 PM   
AlbertN

It is positive for old guns that are vestige of WW1 or captured / aquired, that cannot be replaced pratically or it is impratical to replace them.

Then I wonder if there are other guns that can fill up the TOEs of the Super Heavy Artillery Support Units though, or the only way to fill these TOEs is by disbanding other similar SUs.

(in reply to Fraggo5)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Axis Siege Guns replacements Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI