Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on AI and the Airwar

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Question on AI and the Airwar Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on AI and the Airwar - 6/29/2021 1:44:31 AM   
zasgard

Just bought the game last week and I've watched some videos about the Airwar and the AI for it. How much am I missing out or hurting myself by NOT micromanaging the airwar? Would I be ok if I just picked the priority of the mission types/directives and then let the AI carry it out?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Question on AI and the Airwar - 6/29/2021 7:26:05 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: zasgard

Just bought the game last week and I've watched some videos about the Airwar and the AI for it. How much am I missing out or hurting myself by NOT micromanaging the airwar? Would I be ok if I just picked the priority of the mission types/directives and then let the AI carry it out?

Thanks

basically yes, if you are playing the AI on 100 then you are using the tools it does, but with a bit more of a view to operational/strategic priorities.

a good half way house is to use the air directives screen to set things up, generate the Air Directives and then maybe tweak a few that are really important. But you can readily leave the strategic air war to the AI assistance - it won't do anything particularly creative but a lot of that is brute force delivery of bombs in any case.

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on AI and the Airwar - 6/29/2021 4:10:34 PM   
zasgard

Thank you loki100

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on AI and the Airwar - 6/29/2021 5:45:50 PM   
cfulbright

I agree with what Loki said in general. That said, I'm a micromanager of every aspect of the game.

To your original question, "How much am I missing out or hurting myself", those actually are two questions.

How much am I missing out? It depends on what you're looking for in the game. If you want the game to move as quickly as it can (which has limits), then you're best with 100% AI control of the air war. if you want something to absorb a lot of your free time (and you don't mind doing a lot of clicks every turn), then you're missing out on that time spent with the game.

How much are you hurting yourself? I've seen the AI make silly or bad decisions despite the priorities I set. I don't trust it as far as I can throw it. I'd much rather set 1) target cities), 2) target industries, 3) air groups to fly, 4) loads to carry, 5) staging bases, and 6) flight paths to avoid flak. That last one can be a real gotcha if the AI picks a direct route to Cologne, Frankfurt, or Schweinfurt that passes over the Ruhr, or to Leipzig that passes over Hannover/Braunschweig. In my opinion, and with no quantative testing to proof it, I think you're giving up double digits of combat effectiveness and also of own losses by using the AI.

I've been playing the game since beta in 2013, and I've probably played 7-8 1943 campaigns in total, not necessarily even finishing them all. And I've enjoyed every minute. But that's me.

I'm not trying to convert you to my style. You have to find what you do and don't enjoy about the game. Definitely focus on the ground war to start, and then decide if you want to dig deeper into the air war.

Cary

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on AI and the Airwar - 6/29/2021 6:54:43 PM   
zasgard

quote:

ORIGINAL: cfulbright

I agree with what Loki said in general. That said, I'm a micromanager of every aspect of the game.

To your original question, "How much am I missing out or hurting myself", those actually are two questions.

How much am I missing out? It depends on what you're looking for in the game. If you want the game to move as quickly as it can (which has limits), then you're best with 100% AI control of the air war. if you want something to absorb a lot of your free time (and you don't mind doing a lot of clicks every turn), then you're missing out on that time spent with the game.

How much are you hurting yourself? I've seen the AI make silly or bad decisions despite the priorities I set. I don't trust it as far as I can throw it. I'd much rather set 1) target cities), 2) target industries, 3) air groups to fly, 4) loads to carry, 5) staging bases, and 6) flight paths to avoid flak. That last one can be a real gotcha if the AI picks a direct route to Cologne, Frankfurt, or Schweinfurt that passes over the Ruhr, or to Leipzig that passes over Hannover/Braunschweig. In my opinion, and with no quantative testing to proof it, I think you're giving up double digits of combat effectiveness and also of own losses by using the AI.

I've been playing the game since beta in 2013, and I've probably played 7-8 1943 campaigns in total, not necessarily even finishing them all. And I've enjoyed every minute. But that's me.

I'm not trying to convert you to my style. You have to find what you do and don't enjoy about the game. Definitely focus on the ground war to start, and then decide if you want to dig deeper into the air war.

Cary

Thanks for the feedback Cary.

I think I'm going to let the AI carry out the directives, but I might alter a few things here and there. The flight path over AA is a good point, thanks for that.

I know this game is a time sink, but I don't have hours and hours to pour into it as I have other hobbies, but I am going to take my time with this game. I know you can't just rush into things and expect quick results. I'll take my licks, I'm sure, but I'll enjoy the ride KNOWING it's going to be a long one.

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Question on AI and the Airwar Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI