Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Submitted 07-10-2021)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Submitted 07-10-2021) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Submitted 07-10-2021) - 6/24/2021 12:43:22 AM   
BeirutDude

06-30-2021 Scenario update Below...

quote:

So the recent PRC overtures to the Republic of Kiribati WRT extending and modernizing the Airport on Kanton Island got me thinking about the possibilities. Why extend a runway for an island with only 20 people on it to over 2,000 feet? Given the proximity to Hawaii, Kwajalein Atoll, and Johnson island this gives Kanton Island quite a strategic position in the Central Pacific, one the Pacific Fleet could not ignore.

What if...

(BTW I thought about trying to make this a Midway like carrier battle, but the distances to the PRC just made that impractical. That said, it's a simple scenario. It is meant to be played in rapid time over the first 24 hours.

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 7/11/2021 8:21:54 PM >

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Post #: 1
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/24/2021 2:37:54 AM   
stww2

Just started playing this one...there are some fancy new (well, I assume mostly hypothetical) US weapons that should make things interesting (I definitely will need to throw those conventional ballistic missiles on the Virginia into play, to name one example!). Of course, it's a long way to the AO, and who knows whether the CSG will survive the trip...the last time I played one of your scenarios things did not end well for my carrier group...

One minor issue in the briefing spotted so far. The sentence in Section 5 appears not to have been completed ("OPFOR intentions: It is believed the PRC leadership.").

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 2
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/24/2021 3:38:27 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

Nice setup, Starting it up now.

One note though, since there are Submarines amongst the OPFOR, there should be a Biologic/Nature side. Not having this would make ASW too easy, as one can confidently fire upon any Sonar contact.

(in reply to stww2)
Post #: 3
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/25/2021 4:37:14 PM   
BeirutDude

DUH! I meant to do this and simply forgot/gaffed. I'm still a bit fuzzy, from my "headache" (as my wife refers to the most pounding pain I have ever felt), hence the baby step scenario (and why I deferred finishing the Ukraine scenario)!

I'm embarrassed!!!! I'm going to fix that this weekend!

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 4
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/25/2021 4:39:35 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

One minor issue in the briefing spotted so far. The sentence in Section 5 appears not to have been completed ("OPFOR intentions: It is believed the PRC leadership.").

Thanks, again like the biologics (reply above), just not completely with it yet. I'll fix this. Thanks for pointing it out.

(in reply to stww2)
Post #: 5
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/25/2021 8:13:45 PM   
BeirutDude

Fixed both issues but newer update below...

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 6/30/2021 10:56:43 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/26/2021 6:02:25 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Sweet! Now I will properly tackle this.

I'm a little nervous not having any laser defenses in the Stennis Group, but maybe all the operational ones are ether at the frontlines of the war, or hopelessly out of position in the Atlantic.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 7
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/26/2021 9:37:32 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Well it seems that I can't use the Conventional SLBMs on the USS Hyman G Rickover since I don't have the professional version.

Probably should remove them, my instant neutralization of the Kanton AB is now no more.

Post #: 8
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/27/2021 4:28:53 AM   
stww2

LOL, I just made the same discovery! It's probably for the best, they would have made the scenario far too easy.

Had quite a rude shock when trying to draw out the AI's fighter screen; intel folks appear to have missed something rather significant (fortunately the F-22 is a very good fighter)!

I'll have to look at the updated scenario. I'm not particularly inclined to restart at this point, but maybe there's a way I can duplicate the adding of biologics from the updated file in my current save.

It's been a fun one so far! I've taken out the naval patrols and clashed with the CAP (even with the surprise, it was a very one-sided affair). The tanker logistics of this one are a bit of a challenge, although if I survived the first scenario of Desert Storm, Kushan's El Dorado Canyon, and Caribbean Fury #3 I shouldn't have a problem here. I'm debating how many Tomahawks I want to throw at the island. It might depend how lazy I'm feeling at that moment...

Haven't encountered any technical/scenario design issues thus far. One thing that does come to mind is that you might consider limiting the number of Tomahawks available for the player to use, since presumably Command might want to save them for uses against future targets rather than potentially expend them all here. But that's more of a story consideration than a scenario design issue.

Post #: 9
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/29/2021 3:42:23 AM   
stww2

Just finished this one today.

Following up on my AAW operations for the other day, I launched a major SEAD strike on the island. This consisted of 12 Tomahawks fired at every suspected HQ-17 site (every unit with four components), plus a handful of others targeting the airfields installations for a total of 102 Tomahawks (past experience trying to dismantle some of Gunner’s monstrous IADS’s has taught me to always go for overkill, rather than risk having all of one’s weapons shot down for no effect). The Tomahawk strike was backed up by some F-22s for air superiority, four P-8’s with SLAM-ERs, and F-18s with AGM-88s, JSOWs, LRASM’s, and MALD-J (for a total of 8 LRASMs, 8 JSOW’s, 16 SLAM-ERs, 24 AGM-88’s, and 8 MALD-Js).

It turned out that this obscene display of firepower was just a bit more than was required to dismantle the island’s air defenses, and in addition to taking out ever AD unit and aircraft, a fair amount of the base infrastructure was taken out as well.

From there, it was just a matter of throwing GBU’s and JSOWs at the remaining installations until everything was destroyed. Final score was 15,168 (Triumph) with 1 day and 12 hours remaining. My only loss was a Global Hawk towards the beginning of the scenario that did a bit too good of a job of finding the Chinese CAP.

But it was almost much worse…

Reading the briefing, I had of course noticed the line regarding the presence of ground based ASMs. But I assumed that ASBMs wouldn’t be deployed so far away from the mainland and that therefore those ASMs were cruise missiles. So despite the plethora of satellites buzzing overhead, I kept my ship’s EMCON passive and relied on AEW (the standard E-3s and E-2s, plus a picked line of Global Hawks designed to detect an incoming Badger strike). It was only when I was looking at the Losses and Expenditures page and the scenario file in the editor that I realized how close I had come to disaster…the Stennis group was only about 75nm or so outside of the strike radius specified for the DF-21 batteries’ ASUW mission, and with no space search radars running I can’t say I would have liked the Stennis group’s chances…

Fortunately, the DF-21s have the same number of elements as the HQ-17 batteries do, and thus were flagged as suspected HQ-17s, were targeted with 12 cruise missiles a piece, and were taken out in my initial SEAD strike. So disaster averted.

This was a great scenario; I really playing enjoyed it! With relatively light opposition, it was an excellent testing ground a lot of the new weapons the US has fielded in recent years or may field in the near future.

My main recommendations/comments:

-I’ll reiterate the ammo quantity comment given above. I like the aspect of having so many different choices to choose from, but I wonder if some of the higher-end hardware should only come in limited quantities. After all, the Stennis group is continuing onward to the front lines next, and hardware such as hypersonic anti-ship missiles might be better saved for heavy Chinese naval units instead of used to seal-club a lightly defended frigate. On the other hand, if I had fewer advanced weapons at my disposal I might have taken longer to dismantle the island’s defenses and probably would have fallen prey to an ASBM strike, so maybe the loadout choices are fine as is. Additionally, if the goal is to complete this operation as quickly as possible in order to free up the Stennis for more important tasks, maybe it makes it more sense to bring out the rarer hardware to accomplish that goal. So I guess I could go either way on this point. Something to consider, at least.

-I obviously don’t know all the possible permutations of the Chinese naval deployments, but in my playthrough I seem to have largely dodged the Chinese subs by heading towards Palmayra instead of between Palmayra and Johnston as may have been expected. If there’s no chance of a sub spawning in that area, maybe there should be.

Update:
Looking at my ExceptionLog, it appears the following error was encountered repeatedly during the timeframe in which I was playing this scenario:

6/28/2021 19:25:12 -- B1147.25 -- Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stack Trace: at Command.AttackTarget.ˆ()
Call Stack & Error details:
Error at 200410, Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

< Message edited by stww2 -- 6/29/2021 1:50:28 PM >

(in reply to stww2)
Post #: 10
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/29/2021 12:15:51 PM   
Selchu

Just started this one and all I'm gonna say so far is that I would give my left nut for some US satellites.....

(Terms and Conditions may apply for example, I am NOT ACTUALLY GOING TO GIVE YOU MY LEFT NUT)

< Message edited by Selchu -- 6/29/2021 12:16:37 PM >

(in reply to stww2)
Post #: 11
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/30/2021 1:25:07 AM   
BeirutDude

quote:

Just started this one and all I'm gonna say so far is that I would give my left nut for some US satellites.....

Just added some.

(in reply to Selchu)
Post #: 12
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/30/2021 1:31:14 AM   
BeirutDude

quote:

I’ll reiterate the ammo quantity comment given above. I like the aspect of having so many different choices to choose from, but I wonder if some of the higher-end hardware should only come in limited quantities. After all, the Stennis group is continuing onward to the front lines next, and hardware such as hypersonic anti-ship missiles might be better saved for heavy Chinese naval units instead of used to seal-club a lightly defended frigate. On the other hand, if I had fewer advanced weapons at my disposal I might have taken longer to dismantle the island’s defenses and probably would have fallen prey to an ASBM strike, so maybe the loadout choices are fine as is. Additionally, if the goal is to complete this operation as quickly as possible in order to free up the Stennis for more important tasks, maybe it makes it more sense to bring out the rarer hardware to accomplish that goal. So I guess I could go either way on this point. Something to consider, at least.

Thanks, I majorly the cut Tomahawks (in 1/2) as well as a lot of the ABMs. Adjusted Rickover's VLS Loadout. Also adjusted the PLA(N) missions a bit. Some of the ships have 39/64 VLS Cells filled Aft.

quote:

-I obviously don’t know all the possible permutations of the Chinese naval deployments, but in my playthrough I seem to have largely dodged the Chinese subs by heading towards Palmayra instead of between Palmayra and Johnston as may have been expected. If there’s no chance of a sub spawning in that area, maybe there should be.

There is but it has a low percentage chance of spawning, also the teleportation are is fairly large. Let me think about tweaks on this.

(in reply to stww2)
Post #: 13
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/30/2021 1:32:12 AM   
BeirutDude

quote:

6/28/2021 19:25:12 -- B1147.25 -- Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stack Trace: at Command.AttackTarget.ˆ()
Call Stack & Error details:
Error at 200410, Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I have no idea what this could be. Might have something to do with the failed DF-21D strike? Or maybe a sub that didn't generate?

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 6/30/2021 11:00:11 AM >

(in reply to stww2)
Post #: 14
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/30/2021 10:55:53 AM   
BeirutDude

Version 06-30-2021...

1. USN Tomahawks on surface vessels are halved
2. Ballistic missiles on USS Rickover removed and replaced with Tomahawks.
3. SMs are more diversified (161's, 174s, etc.) and reduced in number.
4. PLA(N) Submarine random appearance chances are increased (I went too low before)
5. PLA(N) missions have been adjusted.

Still should be an American victory but less one sided. Bottom line, Kanton Island has a lot of stuff that likely would never be there in real life, even if the PLA(N) developed it as a base.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to stww2)
Post #: 15
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/30/2021 11:21:07 AM   
Selchu

I sent Dude a PM with a joke message that i was going to share but can't find it to share here.
I really enjoyed that one. I justified the massive Tomahawk strike to eliminate the base as I was working under the assumption that if the base was there with all that hardware then it was there for a reason and could potentially be used to threaten other strategic assests.
The PLAN CAP came out a couple of times but didn't last long. In fact 2 of my Hornet losses where to being jumped by a J-31 patrol.

Gonna play the 2nd version now but I have to say that's the kind of scenario I prefer. Small focussed actions as opposed to theatre wide missions. Great work. Gonna have a look at the new version later.
Cheers Dude!

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 16
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/30/2021 2:39:29 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

FM: COM USS Stennis CSG 9, Bremerton, WA

TO: COMCHIEFNAVOPS WASHINGTON, DC

COMPACFLT, Pearl Harbor, HI

COM USS Rickover, Pearl Harbor, HI

COM USS Greenville, Pearl Harbor, HI

COM US INDOPACOM, Camp H.M. Smith, HI

BT

23 Nov 2024, 0417 UTC

Classification Top Secret Rel NATO, JSDF, RAN, RAAF, RNZAF//N03510//

MSGID//GENADMIN//COMCHIEFNAVOPS//

SUBJ//URGENT…Operation Southern Cross //

1. PLA(N) base at Kanton Island neutralised. SAM/SSM/Runway/PLA(N) Air group have been destroyed.

2. Light losses to CAW 9, 2*F/A-18E,1*F/A-18F and 1*RQ-4B lost.

3. CSG 9 completeing UNREP with T-AO 187 and getting underway for Yokosuka. Will require quick turnaround to replenish Tomahawks used in strike plus other ATG muntions. CSG 9/CAW 9 remain fully capable in AAW/ASW roles.

COM USS Stennis CSG 9 sends.
Classification Top Secret Rel NATO, JSDF, RAN, RAAF, RNZAF//N03510//

BT

ZCZC

(in reply to Selchu)
Post #: 17
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/30/2021 2:41:34 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

I really enjoyed that one. I justified the massive Tomahawk strike to eliminate the base as I was working under the assumption that if the base was there with all that hardware then it was there for a reason and could potentially be used to threaten other strategic assests.

Actually, I thought about using Kanton Island AB for an "Air Raid Pearl Harbor, 2024" scenario.

(in reply to Selchu)
Post #: 18
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 6/30/2021 2:47:01 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

I have to say that's the kind of scenario I prefer. Small focussed actions as opposed to theatre wide missions.

This is what I'm going to strive for from now on. One issue is ranges these days are soooooo large. When an H-6K can fly a 5,000 nm mission it really spreads things out. I have another scenario in the hopper that is kind of spread out but the actual battle field is relative confined. That said, you've got to get your forces into the battle.

(in reply to Selchu)
Post #: 19
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 7/1/2021 8:04:50 PM   
Selchu

quote:

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

quote:

I have to say that's the kind of scenario I prefer. Small focussed actions as opposed to theatre wide missions.

This is what I'm going to strive for from now on. One issue is ranges these days are soooooo large. When an H-6K can fly a 5,000 nm mission it really spreads things out. I have another scenario in the hopper that is kind of spread out but the actual battle field is relative confined. That said, you've got to get your forces into the battle.

Like the sound of that. Should be interesting.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 20
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 7/1/2021 8:26:51 PM   
Kushan04

quote:

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

quote:

Unless it's a Hornet, then its range is measured in minutes not hours.

These are the type of scenarios I've come to enjoy as well. I still enjoy the occasional big set piece battles but I find more enjoyment in smaller scale ones these days. "Mission" level for lack of a better term.

< Message edited by Kushan04 -- 7/1/2021 8:31:51 PM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 21
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 7/4/2021 5:28:09 PM   
Selchu

Dude, just ran the mission again. Only loss was a Hawkeye due to running out of fuel (still no idea how that happened when every tanker was in the air).
Only sub I encountered was an SSGN that fired its missiles from far out. CAP did for the missiles and the P4 got the sub.
The bombers made their run and promptly got dispatched. Really enjoyed setting up the bombing mission this time. Cheers again.

(in reply to Kushan04)
Post #: 22
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 7/10/2021 12:11:13 AM   
BeirutDude

Sounds like its ready to go!

Thanks!

(in reply to Selchu)
Post #: 23
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 7/10/2021 1:30:45 PM   
BDukes

Played through this one before going away on vacation and it was great fun. How many you banged out this year? Great work BD!

Mike

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 24
RE: PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Version 06-23-3021) - 7/11/2021 6:21:38 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: BDukes

Played through this one before going away on vacation and it was great fun. How many you banged out this year? Great work BD!

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm about to get back to that Ukraine Scenario I need to clean up. I've got a small one to post for PT today and then another one in the hopper. After that I'll get back to the big one.

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 7/11/2021 6:22:07 PM >

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> PT Kanton Island, Kiribati, 2024 (Submitted 07-10-2021) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI