Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/21/2021 10:25:46 AM   
RFalvo69

An unexpected (by me) release. For only 16.79 Euro I think I could buy it "blind" because it looks interesting. Anyone knows something more about it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1466610/Combined_Arms_Operations_Series/

From the blurb:

The Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) uses simultaneous turns to simulate operational level combat between World War II armies across national boundaries and years. Ever wanted to see Soviet and US forces face off in 1945? Or Germany 1939 versus Italy 1942? Here’s your shot.

Follow historical doctrines or rewrite them entirely as you reorganize historical armies to match your command style. See for yourself how the Soviet army could perform in 1941 outside the confines of Operation Barbarossa. Mix and match units from across the German army to create the ultimate combined arms kampfgruppe in 1944. Mass enough American artillery to blot out the sun. Whatever your playstyle, CAOS is happy to provide, with more than 4000 unique units and 580 historically accurate division and brigade formations.

Scenarios in CAOS are fast paced and self-contained. Players can choose between anything from small battles between a couple divisions that can be played in under and hour, to sprawling army level battles involving dozens of divisions and hundreds of units that can be played across several days. Multiplayer scenarios are synchronous, allowing you to see your ally issue orders in real time, easily coordinate your battleplans, and even transfer control of units between players.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Post #: 1
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/21/2021 1:00:13 PM   
Lobster

I see nothing about an editor. Looks like all the motorized units have one movement rate while all infantry units have one movement rate. To me it looks like more of a beer and pretzel game in it's current format but if they supply enough scenarios it should be fun. Thanks for the linkage.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Wearing blinders and earplugs everything you do is correct.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/21/2021 2:00:00 PM   
76mm

It doesn't have an editor yet, the devs said on reddit that they "hope" to add one at some point, so I think I'm gonna wait.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 3
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/21/2021 3:15:56 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

It doesn't have an editor yet, the devs said on reddit that they "hope" to add one at some point, so I think I'm gonna wait.

They boast about the "complete OOBs for all main countries in WWII" but there isn't a single scenario included in the initial offering. As amazing as it sounds, it is like Steel Panthers on an operational scale: you choose two sides (IIUC you can't have Americans and Commonwealth vs. Germans and Italians in Sicily - only one nation per side), a type of battle, a map, you buy your units and the fight starts.

They are promising free scenarios and updates (the first one should be Husky, with airborne and amphibious operations added in the free patch). It would have been better for the game to be published with, minimum, 4-5 scenarios and air and amph operations already in it. We will see.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/21/2021 3:18:56 PM   
Grognerd_INC

I guess what is turning me off, I see no stacking of units, hard to determine scale but from what I can tell, anyway there should be multiple units in some places. Normally that's too beer & pretzels for my tastes.

Formerly Grognerd, currently Doc Savage

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 5
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/21/2021 3:25:37 PM   
RangerJoe

Of course, someone could have just posted on this thread:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4980786

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Grognerd_INC)
Post #: 6
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/21/2021 3:47:10 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

That's the curse of our times: everything, if not constantly remembered, just slips away.

Today I saw "Armored Brigade" in my list of installed Steam Games and I remembered when I decided to do a "deep dive" into this game. I actually played, IIRC, two scenarios before forgetting about it again.

Of course no one forgets that WitE2 is out (and there were rumbles of having it out on Steam by this Summer...) They make it basically impossible to forget about WitE2

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/21/2021 3:59:45 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC

I guess what is turning me off, I see no stacking of units, hard to determine scale but from what I can tell, anyway there should be multiple units in some places. Normally that's too beer & pretzels for my tastes.

There is stacking. You can see it in the video. See the unit size? Some have one behind the other. Not real evident but it's there. At least one has three. Shadow size counts also.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lobster -- 6/21/2021 4:03:59 PM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Wearing blinders and earplugs everything you do is correct.

Post #: 8
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/21/2021 5:32:45 PM   
Grognerd_INC

You are correct, as I look again at your screen shot. Thanks for correcting me.

Formerly Grognerd, currently Doc Savage

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 9
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/21/2021 5:53:47 PM   
MrsWargamer

Hmm, forget my previous comments.

I looked at the game as it is on its release date (today) and it looks interesting.
The price is nice.
It doesn't look like 'more of the same' and frankly, I think that's what's mainly wrong with a lot of our wargames, they aren't anything new.
Simultaneous turns might be the thing that makes the difference.

I watched some very neat detailed command options, and it looked similar to Command Ops 2 in enough ways I think it needs to be given a chance.

I'm broke, or I'd be checking it out right now.
Maybe next month, maybe by August (I have a lot of cash needs in July).

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

Post #: 10
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/23/2021 12:01:06 AM   
IslandInland

I played the beta and it wasn't very good.

Hopefully it is a lot better now.

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 11
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/23/2021 12:02:24 AM   
IslandInland

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

quote:

That's the curse of our times: everything, if not constantly remembered, just slips away.

Today I saw "Armored Brigade" in my list of installed Steam Games and I remembered when I decided to do a "deep dive" into this game. I actually played, IIRC, two scenarios before forgetting about it again.

Of course no one forgets that WitE2 is out (and there were rumbles of having it out on Steam by this Summer...) They make it basically impossible to forget about WitE2

Never forget about WITE 2.

It is glorious.

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 12
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/23/2021 12:43:30 AM   
MrsWargamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: IslandInland

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

quote:

Never forget about WITE 2.

It is glorious.

It's overhyped, overly expensive, overly complicated, and for what, I'm unsure. If given it for free, I'd likely play it as often as the first. Haven't played the first yet. Nor War in the West. Haven't play World in Flames yet as well.

Hmm and someone is going around calling me a Shill for Matrix Games for some reason :)

This title will likely be a bit rough around the edges. But I'm looking forward to trying something different.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 13
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/23/2021 10:40:36 PM   
Rosseau

I must agree with the Mrs. on this one. I did buy WitE2, partly to support the devs, but it is unlikely I will play it (or edit it) until they patch in full editor support and more fully developed mods are available.

I did get CAOS (and Valor & Victory - thank you, Matrix), and IMHO both are worth a look, especially for the reasonable prices. V&V offers a smoother and quicker experience than the more complex, but very excellent, LnL series, dating back to LnL Heroes of Stalingrad, here on Matrix.

CAOS I haven't played enough yet but am enjoying being crushed by the AI, even as the defender. It is different, and for me that is totally what matters. Graphics are okay, there are stats everywhere, but this is sandbox, not historical scenarios. You chose a map - okay, looks like Sicily, but then choose from a huge variety of units (and four sides), so if you want history, buy the late John Tiller's PzC Sicily '43, for example.

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 14
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/24/2021 6:46:39 AM   
Alan Sharif

I have been watching CAOS with interest. Historical content is to follow in a free update, and I am 100% certain I will purchase at that time.

A Sharif

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 15
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam - 6/25/2021 1:19:46 AM   
Rosseau

Greetings Alan,

Yes, the historical content is probably what is most lacking right now. The game system itself appears to cover a lot of rules of interest to wargamers, but I still need more time to see how these rules actually manifest themselves in-game. The rule book is "just" 29 pages, so one is left to figure out a lot based on playing the title.

Best wishes!

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) out on Steam Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI