Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

National Morale events - Loss of Majors

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> National Morale events - Loss of Majors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
National Morale events - Loss of Majors - 6/18/2021 9:24:42 PM   
mdsmall

Hi Bill,

Looking through the National Morale events in the editor, I was surprised to see that while "The Loss of UK" causes France to lose 7500 NM, "The Loss of France" has no effect on UK national morale. I know the Brits are phlegmatic lot, but would they really be so unconcerned if their major Entente ally surrendered? In contrast, the UK does lose 2500 NM due to the "Loss of Russia".

Similarly, while the "Loss of Serbia" causes Russia to lose 2500 NM, the "Loss of Russia" seems to have no NM impact on Serbian national morale, if Serbia outlasts Russia. That seems odd, given that Russia went to war in August 1914 to protect Serbia.

Are these gaps intentional, or an oversight?

Michael

Post #: 1
RE: National Morale events - Loss of Majors - 6/19/2021 3:48:12 AM   
shri

Purely geopolitically speaking-

Loss of UK means France is Kaput, without all that material help from the British empire the French cannot last, vice versa is not true.
This is borne true historically, 7 years war, French revolution and Napoleonic wars, WW2 etc., the British empire goes from strength to strength and doesn't surrender despite loss of allies and loss of its own colonies.

Think of it as - Losing British help is a matter of life and death for France, losing the French is a loss and a win for Britain .

Losing Russia is more severe, because Russian conquests makes Germany immensely strong in the long run. (a certain moustache man wrote at length on this topic).

For Russia, losing Servia is loss of pride. For Serbia, the main aid came from the British empire after 1915.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 2
RE: National Morale events - Loss of Majors - 6/19/2021 5:30:16 PM   
FOARP

Basically (and understandably) the developers focused on modelling things that actually happened during the war and not things that didn't. All the same the NM loss from a French capitulation should be at least the same as that from a Russian capitulation for the UK, and Serbia should also lose morale if Russia surrenders. Additionally as far as I know Serbia does not gain morale from the US entering the war.

One additional thing that really ought to be dealt with is that morale should be capped at 100%. It is possible to get Russian morale to more than 150% in-game without actually finishing the Central Powers - this makes it basically impossible to defeat Russia as there is no likely scenario where it can be brought down to zero from there. Logically this does not make sense, how to you get happier than happy? Or more confident than confident?

American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.

(in reply to shri)
Post #: 3
RE: National Morale events - Loss of Majors - 6/20/2021 6:32:18 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

Hi Bill,

Looking through the National Morale events in the editor, I was surprised to see that while "The Loss of UK" causes France to lose 7500 NM, "The Loss of France" has no effect on UK national morale. I know the Brits are phlegmatic lot, but would they really be so unconcerned if their major Entente ally surrendered? In contrast, the UK does lose 2500 NM due to the "Loss of Russia".

Similarly, while the "Loss of Serbia" causes Russia to lose 2500 NM, the "Loss of Russia" seems to have no NM impact on Serbian national morale, if Serbia outlasts Russia. That seems odd, given that Russia went to war in August 1914 to protect Serbia.

Are these gaps intentional, or an oversight?

Michael

Hi Michael

They're just oversights.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 4
RE: National Morale events - Loss of Majors - 6/20/2021 6:35:55 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: FOARP

One additional thing that really ought to be dealt with is that morale should be capped at 100%. It is possible to get Russian morale to more than 150% in-game without actually finishing the Central Powers - this makes it basically impossible to defeat Russia as there is no likely scenario where it can be brought down to zero from there. Logically this does not make sense, how to you get happier than happy? Or more confident than confident?

Unit Morale is capped at something less than 150%, 125% IIRC. So even if their NM is high, there should be a limit to their unit morale and therefore combat capability.

I do see your point, although I would argue that more than 100% should be allowed, e.g. if a country goes to war and gets a quick win, there would be no bonus received from any scripts for doing so, even though the regime would likely be very popular for what it has just achieved.

I can understand the argument for a cap at a higher level, e.g. 125 or 150%, but whether that is possible at the moment I can't promise.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> National Morale events - Loss of Majors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI