Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First game as USA

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> First game as USA Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First game as USA - 6/11/2021 1:21:10 PM   
wobbleguts

At the start, playing as USA seems weird. I invested in Industrial tech straight away (probably the wrong thing to do). After that I couldn't really do anything. Just kept on pressing the big red 'next turn' button.

I was able to reinforce 2 fighter units and I relocated them to Hawaii for obvious reasons but that was it. I just kept on pressing next turn.

I had no ships in Hawaii until Japan declared war, Then I suddenly had a fleet appear there. Where did they come from? I didn't build them. How did this happen? These are the survivors but remember they appeared from nowhere.

Why?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by wobbleguts -- 6/11/2021 1:38:42 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: First game as USA - 6/11/2021 1:30:02 PM   
ForzaA

They're mobilised by event - the full listing is in the (1939) strategy guide, search for "when the usa enters the war"

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 2
RE: First game as USA - 6/11/2021 8:42:02 PM   
DrZom

You have survivors. You are ahead of the curve already.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 3
RE: First game as USA - 6/12/2021 12:29:34 AM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

I had no ships in Hawaii until Japan declared war, Then I suddenly had a fleet appear there. Where did they come from? I didn't build them. How did this happen? These are the survivors but remember they appeared from nowhere.

There's a similar phenomenon that takes place when you play the Soviet Union. When the Germans declare war and invade you'll suddenly receive out of thin air, several Soviet mechanized corps, air units, and an HQ there right on the border with Germany. Most of them will get plowed under in the initial German blitz. There are some units that show up further inland, but the ones that deploy on the border usually end up being nothing more than speed bumps for Hitler's panzers.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 4
RE: First game as USA - 6/12/2021 1:07:04 AM   
Elessar2

Unless the Russian player invests in a bunch of cheap garrisons and masses them on the border, saving many of the free spawning units.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 5
RE: First game as USA - 6/12/2021 1:22:56 AM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

Unless the Russian player invests in a bunch of cheap garrisons and masses them on the border, saving many of the free spawning units.

Yeah, I actually tried that garrison border defense once. I recall it saved the medium bomber wings and one of the mechanized units, but the poor Budenny HQ was too slow (or slow-witted) to get away.

I think only one of the sacrificial garrisons survived the onslaught, which was probably a miracle in itself.

< Message edited by Platoonist -- 6/12/2021 1:25:18 AM >

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 6
RE: First game as USA - 6/12/2021 5:06:28 AM   
Torplexed

quote:

I was able to reinforce 2 fighter units and I relocated them to Hawaii for obvious reasons but that was it.

Two extra fighter units to Hawaii? I imagine that didn't make the isolationists in Congress very happy.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 7
RE: First game as USA - 6/12/2021 12:53:41 PM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: ForzaA

They're mobilised by event - the full listing is in the (1939) strategy guide, search for "when the usa enters the war"

Thanks. That explains it.

(in reply to ForzaA)
Post #: 8
RE: First game as USA - 6/12/2021 1:17:48 PM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Torplexed

quote:

I was able to reinforce 2 fighter units and I relocated them to Hawaii for obvious reasons but that was it.

Two extra fighter units to Hawaii? I imagine that didn't make the isolationists in Congress very happy.

No idea. After I put MPs into researching industry and upgrading the fighter units I was flat broke and couldn't do anything for a long time. So when I clicked 'end turn' I would leave the computer and do other stuff. Same when I moved the fighters to Hawaii. No idea if it upset isolationists but it seems to have worked for me.

(in reply to Torplexed)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> First game as USA Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI