Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Leaders such as they are

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Leaders such as they are Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Leaders such as they are - 6/10/2021 7:21:48 PM   
spence

It seems that the leader chosen by the computer (default) is the numbest idiot in the pool and that for land units they are inevitably one most fitted to command in the rear (far in the rear). It also seems that for the Allied Player (at least) the default flagship for PT TFs is always the least armed that also has no radar.

Has anyone else seen this occur? Does the Japanese Player also have to spend PPs to get rid of these morons as a matter of course?

< Message edited by spence -- 6/10/2021 7:22:52 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/10/2021 7:36:54 PM   
Sardaukar

Pretty much so.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/10/2021 7:38:06 PM   
Sardaukar

I do love to use Quinton McHale as my Transport TF commander, BTW.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 3
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/10/2021 7:49:29 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Try to get him before they transfer him to Italy.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 4
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/10/2021 8:16:10 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

quote:

Try to get him before they transfer him to Italy.

We gain some, lose some...

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 5
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 3:39:03 AM   
rustysi

quote:

Does the Japanese Player also have to spend PPs to get rid of these morons as a matter of course?

Yep. Air leaders, TF leaders, and it seems that whenever I combine an ID, Colonel Klink is in charge.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 6/11/2021 3:40:40 AM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 6
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 4:33:14 AM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Does the Japanese Player also have to spend PPs to get rid of these morons as a matter of course?

Yep. Air leaders, TF leaders, and it seems that whenever I combine an ID, Colonel Klink is in charge.

That is actually major annoyance

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 7
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 5:27:43 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

When you combine sub-units, the highest ranking guy is selected to lead. If you can buy a good guy of higher rank than the rest of the sub-units, it seems to be cheaper to do that for a sub unit than a division - not sure about that.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 8
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 7:34:44 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

It seems that the leader chosen by the computer (default) is the numbest idiot in the pool and that for land units they are inevitably one most fitted to command in the rear (far in the rear). It also seems that for the Allied Player (at least) the default flagship for PT TFs is always the least armed that also has no radar.

Has anyone else seen this occur? Does the Japanese Player also have to spend PPs to get rid of these morons as a matter of course?

Early in the war I form up some 2 x BB TFs on the west coast, on automatic leader selection.

The BB's then get replaced with an AMc or YMS, and the wood-ducks have a suitable job for the duration directing local minesweeping efforts.

Edit: spelling.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 6/11/2021 7:44:38 AM >

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 9
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 10:42:33 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

Early in the war I form up some 2 x BB TFs on the west coast, on automatic leader selection.

The BB's then get replaced with an AMc or YMS, and the wood-ducks have a suitable job for the duration directing local minesweeping efforts.

Edit: spelling.

A good job for the HDML is a placeholder for a good TF and leader combination while the rest of the ships are being repaired and/or upgraded. It would also work to keep certain leaders entertained so they can't mess things up.

When a ship leaves, is not coming back, and has a good leader, I will put in a terrible leader to hopefully get rid of that leader.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 6/11/2021 10:46:22 AM >

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 10
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 11:01:40 AM   
Alpha77

quote:

quote:

Oh so Klink was not send to the eastern front

Playing IJ I notice the C.O. issue very much with subs, most have only medium naval and bad aggression..

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 11
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 12:21:12 PM   
fcooke

IRL the IJN subs did OK in 42. Got Wasp (and that Wasp spread was pretty good) and Yorktown. And hit Sara twice (I think there is code in the game that makes Sara a torp magnet - at least in the games I have played, talk about a hangar queen).

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 12
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 2:19:44 PM   
Macclan5

Yes a noted issue and something I have learned to manage.

i) Get the Admirals off commanding Carriers - get good Captains aboard so those Admirals can lead task forces.

*although I have seen it debated * I tend to get the Captains with strong AIR skill; recommended as a Carrier Commander. I have seen people opine stronger NAVAL skill because the Task Force Commander compliments the Air skill.

Not sure what the definitive answer is. What do you prefer - a "brown shoe" or "black shoe" ??

ii) Sub Commanders as noted

The low aggressiveness is an issue in the first batch

iii) Battleship Captains...

The first batch are often recommended to command auxiliary ships

iv) Cargo task force Captains

Especially out of San Franciso / Los Angelas / Seattle / Portland

Often the default guys selected have such low NAVAL I am rather positive they contribute to accidents and operational damage among the convoy that slows the task force by many knots

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 6/11/2021 2:23:52 PM >

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 13
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 3:07:27 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

Yes a noted issue and something I have learned to manage.

i) Get the Admirals off commanding Carriers - get good Captains aboard so those Admirals can lead task forces.

*although I have seen it debated * I tend to get the Captains with strong AIR skill; recommended as a Carrier Commander. I have seen people opine stronger NAVAL skill because the Task Force Commander compliments the Air skill.

Not sure what the definitive answer is. What do you prefer - a "brown shoe" or "black shoe" ??

ii) Sub Commanders as noted

The low aggressiveness is an issue in the first batch

iii) Battleship Captains...

The first batch are often recommended to command auxiliary ships

iv) Cargo task force Captains

Especially out of San Franciso / Los Angelas / Seattle / Portland

Often the default guys selected have such low NAVAL I am rather positive they contribute to accidents and operational damage among the convoy that slows the task force by many knots

On the last go-around of the best skills for a Carrier TF leader, the best players of the game more of less said get the best Naval Skills captain to run the ship (maneuvering, damage control) and the best Air Skills Admiral to run the TF. Looking at the in-game versions of real-life admirals like Halsey, Spruance, Mitscher, etc. they all have very high Air skills. I take this as the designers hint that the skill is important for an Air Combat TF.

There are a fair number of ship captains that carry very good Air skills in the high 60s or better and have decent Naval skills too. Before choosing a ship captain for a CV/CVL/CVE, I sort the list by Air skill and then look for one that has a good mix of both.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 14
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 3:21:56 PM   
Yaab

I like the mediocre leaders at start, at least for the Allies. I guess it just represents the pre-war hierarchy, where the most connected and likeable officers were promoted first. In the RL, USN had to replace many submarine captains sine the pre-war ones lacked initiative or agresiveness.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 3:34:28 PM   
Ian R

It can save you some pol points to have one of the good air rated CV captains in an Essex to pick last and command the TF - say Murray, Ramsey or Duncan. But you have to be careful, some of the historical carrier captains assigned to USN CVs have lowish air ratings - e.e. Gardner & Ballentine.

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 16
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 3:38:53 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

What about this guy?

I think he's alphabetized as "The Skipper 2"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/11/2021 3:45:10 PM >

Currently fighting for the Emperor against AW1Steve. As of 6/21 it is 7/45.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 17
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 4:36:24 PM   
BBfanboy

We'll take him if he brings along Marianne!

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 18
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 6:26:53 PM   
fcooke

Agreed! I think she may be the only cast character left with us. It is amazing by 43 how many USN subs were run by twenty-somethings. And the whole torpedo debacle was a shameful example of the establishment vs the guys who were putting their lives on the line.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 19
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 6:53:48 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Dawn Wells, Mary Ann on 'Gilligan's Island,' dies of Covid-19 complications at 82

By Lisa Respers France, CNN

Updated 5:59 PM ET, Wed December 30, 2020

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/30/entertainment/dawn-wells-obit/index.html

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 20
RE: Leaders such as they are - 6/11/2021 9:05:45 PM   
fcooke

I missed that. A true downer.....

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Leaders such as they are Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI