Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Treaty Of Montreux

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Treaty Of Montreux Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Treaty Of Montreux - 6/3/2021 2:43:49 AM   
tm1

The Montreux Convention Regarding the Regime of the Straits is a 1936 agreement that gives Turkey control over the Bosporus and Dardanelles straits and regulates the transit of naval warships. The Convention guarantees the free passage of civilian vessels in peacetime, and restricts the passage of naval ships not belonging to Black Sea states.

Why am I posting about this well in 1942 when the Germans finally took Sevastopol Turkey gave access to the Axis to The Bosporus.

I am just putting forward some Political and military event idea for the game if you as both the Axis or Russian control the city.

For the Axis the capture of Sevastopol meant another supply line is open from Italy, Greece and and Yugoslavia which would bypass the partisan activities that disrupted the transit of war material to the eastern front.

For the Russians the recapture meant turkey closed the straits to the Axis which meant once again any war materials would have to cross hostile territory again instead of possibly a easier route through The Mediterranean and Aegean Seas.

Its a idea / proposal for a Black Sea event.

Post #: 1
RE: Treaty Of Montreux - 6/3/2021 6:34:23 AM   
loki100

but you need to consider how feasible was naval shipment say from Italy. By mid-42 the RN had essentially won the naval war in the Med, and certainly had control of the eastern Med. So any structured attempt to send convoys into the Black Sea would and could have been readily contested.

Not saying that nothing could have been sent but I don't think you're looking at a aolid regular supply route?

(in reply to tm1)
Post #: 2
RE: Treaty Of Montreux - 6/3/2021 11:08:22 AM   
tm1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

but you need to consider how feasible was naval shipment say from Italy. By mid-42 the RN had essentially won the naval war in the Med, and certainly had control of the eastern Med. So any structured attempt to send convoys into the Black Sea would and could have been readily contested.

Not saying that nothing could have been sent but I don't think you're looking at a aolid regular supply route?

All quite true however the Germans regained control of the Eastern Med and the Aegean in 1943, after The failed Allied " Operation Accolade "

The British envisaged an operation to capture the Dodecanese and Crete, to deprive the Axis of excellent forward bases in the Mediterranean and to apply pressure on neutral Turkey to join the war. This would promote a favourite idea of Churchill's, that of a "route through the Dardanelles to Russia as an alternative to the Arctic convoys.

And with there own success with Unternehmen Eisbär (Operation Polar Bear),Unternehmen Leopard (Operation Leopard) and Unternehmen Taifun (Operation Typhoon).

Anyway it was just a idea of mine for a Black Sea event for Sevastopol's capture.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Treaty Of Montreux Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI